Howdy,

I am having major problems doing what everyone else has no problem doing - basic recording sand even You Tube videos. When I dabbled briefly in the past (just audio not video) I'd load up a backing track, DI my guitar into my computer's line in and record over the top.

I have a laptop now and I also want to include video as I now have a decent camcorder but as all audio is coming from the line in the method should be the same as in the past. But it's not.

In the old days I had N Track and now I am using Audacity (I will pay to upgrade to Reaper or Cakewalk once I get the basics down). Here is my problem:

1) My V-Amp 2 sounds great. No fuzz, the noise gate takes care of all that but as soon as I record (via a direct line into the mic on my laptop) there is all kinds of buzzing. It lessens slightly when I turn away from the monitor but not to any decent degree. even when I start to play, though the buzzing is kind of buried under the music it's still there which means clean fast picking can sound not quite so clean.

2) Another issue is I loaded up a backing track to record over it but the new track also recorded the backing track along with my guitar signal so I don't actually get a guitar track and am unable to mute, solo, edit or adjust the levels and add effects etc.
It is clear that you need to start at the beginning. Understand the difference between mic level, line level, gain setting, recording with headphones etc. There are few shortcuts. If you have never done any recording I suggest starting with a simple mic and record lots of different sounds simply to understand the process better. This site is useful:

http://tweakheadz.com/guitarists-guide-to-recording/
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I don't profess to have made pro-quality recordings but I have managed it before so it's not that I need to start at the beginning. I set the rec levels fine and even when I lowered them, the noise continued (something I didn't have on my old PC running N Track). I also never had an issue where recording the guitar also recorded the backing track I'm playing over. Recording with headphones is irrelevant as I'm looking at You Tube vids where everyone records without headphones and then synchs up the video with the audio.
It seems you are recording sound on sound rather than multi-track. Mixer settings goof? Without knowing every piece and connection in your signal chain it is hard to know where you went wrong. I suspect that your Laptop mic input is unable to cope with a hot line level signal and you may fry the Laptop I/O if you continue. You probably should consider a dedicated interface if you want better results. Or just record great quality tracks for video with one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=zoom+h1+handy&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=8032796004&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2800159007145864&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_8tr52j4qk8_b

It is a very popular solution for high quality audio tracks to video.

Sound on sound:
Backing track + New guitar recorded to common tracks

Multi-track:
Backing track recorded to track #1, guitar recorded to discrete track #2, mixed down later.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Apr 21, 2014,
Thanks for the advice so fa, guys. I'll check the links out. As for recording my soundcad mix, yes you are right. Unfortunately the mixer options on Vista aren't as comprehensive or as user friendly as on XP so I'm kinda limited. My soundcard is set to record from"stereo mix" and the only other option is "microphone" which is not plugged in (and I don't have). I am recording my line in signal - just not on its own.