Hey guys,

I'm looking for a way to get playback from my other microphone. As far as I can see, you can only have playback working for one microphone at the time, but I need both to work. So I'm either looking for some software that can work like the playback with the same amount of delay (or less - unoticable delay), or a fix making me able to have playback work of both microphones.

Context; I like chatting with my friends on mumble (skype-like program), but I would also like to be able to play guitar at the same time. I'm currently using "listen to this device" for my guitar, but the delay is too huge.

Running Windows 7.
Added a picture of my microphone tab. It might improve visibility.

Help is greatly appreciated!

If you found this in the pit too, sorry for repost
Attachments:
yolo.jpg
What?

Wait, lemme rephrase that.

WHAT?

Lemme get this straight:
you have your guitar plugged into the computer's line in and you want the guy at the other end of the skype call to be able to hear both the guitar and your voice?
Or you want to record both at the same time?
And what's the problem again?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I think he means he wants to be able to use Skype, in that he wants to hear and talk to people, presumably using a headset or speakers. Additionally, he wants to plug his guitar in and play it and have it also come out the headset/speakers.

Unless he has an interface with two inputs I am not sure I see a way to do this, as he would need two different inputs to be active at once. Maybe I am misunderstanding but I see no way to do this.
If it's that, install ASIO4ALL and read the instructions.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I really do hope you're plugging your guitar into an actual interface. Because otherwise, no one here can (or should) help you.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I really do hope you're plugging your guitar into an actual interface. Because otherwise, no one here can (or should) help you.
A sound card IS an audio interface y' know.

He'll not break anything, and if he plugs it into the mic input instead of the line input, the thing may even not sound THAT bad if passed through a couple or signal processors.

Also if he doesn't see any other way of plugging the thing into the computer, he SHOULD be helped.
People gotta learn somewhere...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
First off, thanks for replying.

I'm using a pocket pod which I recently found digging through my dad's old stuff. I guess that sorta counts as an interface.

And what random3 said is correct. I'm in a situation where I can't make too much noise, without annoying the hell out of everybody. So I figured I could set it up with my pc instead of an amp.

I also do have 2 inputs, due to my Siberia V2 USB headset. The headset has an inbuilt soundcard.

And to summarize the problem; I want to have 2 inputs with playback, so I will be able to hear myself when I'm talking so I don't feel like I'm deaf when speaking, while being able to hear my guitar through the headset.

I think that covers it all.

Btw, if you have a suggestion for a good cheap guitar interface, I wouldn't mind hearing it.

Thanks again.
Quote by Spambot_2
A sound card IS an audio interface y' know.

He'll not break anything, and if he plugs it into the mic input instead of the line input, the thing may even not sound THAT bad if passed through a couple or signal processors.

Also if he doesn't see any other way of plugging the thing into the computer, he SHOULD be helped.

As it says in the sticky, people doing this will not be helped. Nothing good will come of it and the pc may be damaged.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Spambot_2

Yes, he should be helped by being pointed in the direction of the appropriate equipment for the job. Using the mic in instead of an interface is akin to hammering a nail with the handle of a screwdriver; sure it'll work for a while, but do it long enough and the handle will crack and break.

Also those guitar links can be had for around $10, if you can't find $10 anywhere in your budget then you can't afford the extra electricity your computer will draw when you're recording anyway.
Quote by GaryBillington
Nothing good will come of it and the pc may be damaged.
Sound will come out of it and that's better than nothing, and the computer can get damaged only physically by such a thing, so he'll not break anything unless he treats the input really bad.
Quote by chatterbox272
Using the mic in instead of an interface is akin to hammering a nail with the handle of a screwdriver; sure it'll work for a while, but do it long enough and the handle will crack and break.

Also those guitar links can be had for around $10, if you can't find $10 anywhere in your budget then you can't afford the extra electricity your computer will draw when you're recording anyway.
Nice comparison!

Though again, you don't break a mic input by plugging a guitar into it unless you, say, plug the thing in and then you bend it.
It will bend a bit since the adapter + 1/4" jack combo is heavier than an 1/8" jack, but solved that there's no problem whatsoever.

Though yeah, a guitar link is more convenient for this.
He said he has a pocket pod anyway so let's just stop this, it's useless here.
Quote by MegaMoth
I'm using a pocket pod which I recently found digging through my dad's old stuff. I guess that sorta counts as an interface.
Everything that converts the audio from analog to digital and/or from digital to analog IS an audio interface, so your sound card is an audio interface, your pod is an audio interface, a guitar link is an audio interface, and a mackie onyx blackjack is an audio interface.

The reason why some interfaces work better for some application is the fact that they have more inputs and outputs, or they have inputs accepting signal of different kinds.
Your everyday computer's soundcard will have line level and mic input, while most cheap external audio interfaces will have a high impedance input to be used with guitars and basses and similar stuff.

Plugging a guitar or a bass with passive pickups in a mic input will result in a bad sound and plugging it into a line level input will sound worse, but as long as you treat your equipment good, nothing will break in this scenarios.

Now, to do what you want I'd say you could:
1. download ASIO4ALL and read the instructions
2. download an amp simulator (standalone or plugin to put in a daw like reaper)
3. set up skype to use the headphones as input and output device
4. set up the amp simulator (or daw) to use the pod as input device and the headphones ad output device

I'm not even sure you need ASIO4ALL so try the points from 2 to 4 and then if you can't do that repeat from point 1.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2

Though again, you don't break a mic input by plugging a guitar into it
The people here that have broken their mic input by plugging a guitar into it will disagree with this.

It happens. Thats why people attempting it will not be helped until they buy proper equipment.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Why did you cut the end of the sentence?
'cause the answer lies there.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by GaryBillington
The people here that have broken their mic input by plugging a guitar into it will disagree with this.

It happens. Thats why people attempting it will not be helped until they buy proper equipment.

*raises hand* Yeah, see...that's me. I did this, then I ended up realizing it was a bad idea and buying an actual interface. Fortunately, I didn't need to use the mic port very often, so I wasn't fucked completely.

However, it appears TS wasn't quite doing this.

Quote by MegaMoth
Btw, if you have a suggestion for a good cheap guitar interface, I wouldn't mind hearing it.
My personal recommendation is going to be the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, which should cost $150 on eBay. If you can't afford that, buy a GuitarLink interface, which is like $10 on eBay. Note that you can also plug a mic into the 2i4.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Apr 21, 2014,
I would like to know how my pocket pod could be destroying my mic input, first off as spambot is saying, the pod is making the input digital, and the pod has a "direct out" made for headphones. It's not even a 1/4 cable, it's a 1/8 (mini jack). I should probably mention I have very little knowledge about these things, but I don't see how it could damage my soundcard.

I would like to mention once again that the comments are very appreciated!
Quote by MegaMoth
I would like to know how my pocket pod could be destroying my mic input, first off as spambot is saying, the pod is making the input digital, and the pod has a "direct out" made for headphones. It's not even a 1/4 cable, it's a 1/8 (mini jack). I should probably mention I have very little knowledge about these things, but I don't see how it could damage my soundcard.

Your pocket pod is probably fine, as far as that...assuming it actually converts the electrical signals. The issue we're referring to (when we talk about plugging a guitar into a mic port) is that people get one of these:
https://lh4.ggpht.com/67H607N3EFXvCXIO1DxlOXZbEY-bx7M52OrUsGuUk_xlGsWQLjP9CohgP1LDNYwBUCOXRQ=s85
and then they plug their guitar into it. See, that device just passes the electrical signal on really, it doesn't make sure that you don't fry the port you plug it into. Since guitar signals tend to be heavier than what standard mic ports are designed for...well, you can see how that would fry a mic port.

Although...you probably won't get the best guitar tone with your pocket pod. It's still best to get a recording interface that is designed for 1/4 inch cords and/or studio mics AND that connects to your computer via USB.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Apr 21, 2014,
Quote by Spambot_2
Why did you cut the end of the sentence?
'cause the answer lies there.

No it doesn't.

Using the mic input for something it isn't designed for (like a guitar for example) CAN screw it up. You've already seen one post in this thread confirming it happened to them, I've seen lots of others who did it over the years.

I realise this is getting off topic as TS is using proper equipment but the sticky advises against using the mic input for a reason. It CAN be damaged though incorrect use.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
See, that device just passes the electrical signal on really, it doesn't make sure that you don't fry the port you plug it into. Since guitar signals tend to be heavier than what standard mic ports are designed for...well, you can see how that would fry a mic port..
Actually it's the opposite.
Just think about it, the magnet in a pickup doesn't really move when you scream at it.

Though yeah, that relatively makes sense so down to the technical specification, the voltage of a mic level input are designed to reach up to 1v, while a high output passive guitar pickup reaches about 1v, and a passive one with a lot of generosity in pre-gain reaches about 1.75v.
So, first thing, unless you're using an active pickup you're not even exceeding the input specs, and second thing, an audio input doesn't get fried by so low current.
I mean you would have to connect a power amp output to it to do that.

So just thinking about it, these inputs are pcd mounted and not even attached to the computer's chassis, so it doesn't take a lot of bending to break them.
These 1/4" to 1/8" jack converters are a fine way of attaching a presumably heavy 1/4" jack to an input designed for far lighter things in a way of putting the input through even more physical stress because of the lever you're creating by attaching a thing heavier than what it's supposed to be further from where it's supposed to be.
Quote by MegaMoth

I would like to mention once again that the comments are very appreciated!
Nah you don't have to worry there, you're doing the best thing possible with your equipment.
Probably a guitar link plus a decent set of amp and cab simulators would give you better results in terms of sound quality but for what you want to do at the moment what you have's more than enough.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
Actually it's the opposite.
Just think about it, the magnet in a pickup doesn't really move when you scream at it.

[snip]

I don't really care. Fact is, you're partially correct. But you're mostly wrong. Voltage is hardly all that matters here. If you use a mic port for something it isn't designed for, you're risking breaking it. Bottom line. Mic ports are designed for 1/8 mics and/or headphones, not electric guitars.

And since there's enough people who have seen their mic ports fried by plugging their guitar into those shitty 1/4 to 1/8 adapters (and then plugging the adapter into their computer), I don't know why you're arguing this. This isn't just a case of me and a few others doing this.
But forget about whether it will fry your mic port. Consider impedance matching. The impedance of a guitar is nowhere near the impedance of a mic port. So, you're always going to get a shitty tone because of that, even if you never break the mic port. Why would you settle for an inferior tone?
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Apr 22, 2014,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I don't really care. Fact is, you're partially correct. But you're mostly wrong. Voltage is hardly all that matters here. If you use a mic port for something it isn't designed for, you're risking breaking it. Bottom line. Mic ports are designed for 1/8 mics and/or headphones, not electric guitars.
Well you can either fry it with too much signal (which is the voltage I was talking about) or break it with physical stress.
My point's that since you can't fry it by plugging a guitar in it, the only way of breaking it is physically stressing it, which is a thing you can prevent by being careful.
So there's no risk in doing it if you're careful about it, not bending it and stuff.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
But forget about whether it will fry your mic port. Consider impedance matching. The impedance of a guitar is nowhere near the impedance of a mic port. So, you're always going to get a shitty tone because of that, even if you never break the mic port. Why would you settle for an inferior tone?
Myself, not really, though it's free because people already have the adapters, and I don't really like all the hate these clueless people are getting because they don't know what they're doing, since your reasons are based on personal experiences happened because god knows why.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
Well you can either fry it with too much signal (which is the voltage I was talking about) or break it with physical stress.
My point's that since you can't fry it by plugging a guitar in it, the only way of breaking it is physically stressing it, which is a thing you can prevent by being careful.

If you say so...there's enough evidence that it can fry things. But ultimately, whether it fries your port or not doesn't matter. Why? Because it sounds like shit either way. Bad signal in = bad signal out.

Quote by Spambot_2
Myself, not really, though it's free because people already have the adapters, and I don't really like all the hate these clueless people are getting because they don't know what they're doing, since your reasons are based on personal experiences happened because god knows why.

And when we have people tell us here in these forums, "I have this 1/8 to 1/4 adapter"...why should we take them seriously? Especially when a GuitarLink costs $10.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Apr 22, 2014,
^ well they're poor clueless people as all of us have been at some point.
They gotta learn somewhere, and telling them they won't be helped because they applied a half smart idea without reading any instructions before isn't really gonna help anyone imo.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
They WILL be helped. That help will consist of a link to the sticky which tells them what equipment they need.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I don't mind suggestions like a guitar link to 10 dollars, I'll probably look into that one. But I'm out when it gets to something like 250 dollars. In Denmark we have few guitar stores and the ones we have tend to be rather expensive.

Right now I'll just go with what spambot has suggested since it seems to be working out, and even if the soundcard dies, I have my other one. I don't mind too much if the sound isn't that great. I just want something that somewhat works. I'm still not quite sure how to make the amp simulator work, but I guess I'll find out.
^ though you're not doing anything wrong.

What we were discussing was going from the guitar to the mic input, while you're connecting your pod to the line input, which is perfectly fine.

Have you read the amp simulators sticky already?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
No I just googled some guide that didn't really help me out, I'll go check it out. Thanks
Quote by GaryBillington
They WILL be helped. That help will consist of a link to the sticky which tells them what equipment they need.

Quote by Spambot_2
^ well they're poor clueless people as all of us have been at some point.
They gotta learn somewhere, and telling them they won't be helped because they applied a half smart idea without reading any instructions before isn't really gonna help anyone imo.

What Gary said. It's just that it'd be really quite a useless thing for a TS to be like, "I have this 1/8 to 1/4 adapter"; then have us go, "Yeah, don't use that. Get a GuitarLink for $10"; and finally end up arguing over it all. I mean, why should we bother to try to convince some guy like that? He can read the sticky, do any extra research, and make his own decision.

Quote by MegaMoth
I don't mind suggestions like a guitar link to 10 dollars, I'll probably look into that one. But I'm out when it gets to something like 250 dollars. In Denmark we have few guitar stores and the ones we have tend to be rather expensive.

Nah, what you're doing is fine. Buying a GuitarLink may actually be a downgrade for you, lol.
I'm still having problems setting up the amp sim. I downloaded Reaper, the amp sims from Leopou and the impulse cab loader from Leopou. But I'm not sure what to do next. I just know that I have these things, I don't know where to put them. I might have missed it though.

I've put the VST plugins in a folder and I've scanned it in the prefferences plugin option. But I don't know where in the insert tab that they'll show up.

I'm slowly beginning to see that I don't know anything about all these things.

http://lepouplugins.blogspot.dk/)
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1131250