Hey everyone
Im looking to get a new amp. I currently own a 15 watt practice amp which im not going to lie sounds pretty bad, no bass or depth to the sound.

I'm looking to get something that would be loud enough to play small gigs, has a nice rich tone and preferably not too expensive. I mainly play psychedelic rock, garage/punk rock and some grungy stuff, as well as kind of indie rock (arctic monkeys ect)

Just wandering what you guys would recommend, also whether i should go for tube or solid state, cheers
location?
budget?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yep, that Jet City combo is a great idea.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by nssurge
that amp is somehow off putting ahahah
weird i know

You want an amp that sounds good, or an amp that looks good?
'Cause that one is an excellent sounding amp, and a great bang for your buck.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman

You want an amp that sounds good, or an amp that looks good?
'Cause that one is an excellent sounding amp, and a great bang for your buck.

I'll do some research, never heard of that brand before though
also amps that are taller then they are wide= weird

I love the tone from a fnder twin reverb, is there any similar fender amps in the 50 watts range ?
Fender makes no such amplifier under the fender name, and though it's more similar I wouldn't really say the 50w 5150 III is THAT close to a Jet City either.
And it sure as hell doesn't sound like a twin reverb.

Oh wait you mean an amp around 50w that sounds like a fender twin?
Well a twin sounds like a twin.
Your best bet in your budget is looking for a silverface twin combo on craigslist/ebay and taking it to a tech asking him to mod it to blackface specs.
Or you may even keep it that way if you like it that way.

And then you'd get a pedal or two to get the crunch sounds you may be looking for.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Fender makes no such amplifier under the fender name, and though it's more similar I wouldn't really say the 50w 5150 III is THAT close to a Jet City either.
And it sure as hell doesn't sound like a twin reverb.

Oh wait you mean an amp around 50w that sounds like a fender twin?
Well a twin sounds like a twin.
Your best bet in your budget is looking for a silverface twin combo on craigslist/ebay and taking it to a tech asking him to mod it to blackface specs.
Or you may even keep it that way if you like it that way.

And then you'd get a pedal or two to get the crunch sounds you may be looking for.

ok thanks, yeah i was thinking about a second hand silverface actually
Quote by nssurge

Not saying it is bad or good, because I have never heard of them. But I would not spend my money on it.

You said you wanted Fenderish cleans, get a used Hotrod 1x12 and you will have nice Fender cleans and a so-so drive channel. Lots of people use them and buy overdrive/distortion pedals for their dirt.

You can look at the Bugera V55 it is kinda fenderish and it is one of the more reliable Bugera amps being made
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Apr 21, 2014,
thanks alot, although looking around a used hotrod might be out of my price range

just wandering why would you not buy the link i posted ?

thanks for all the help btw youve helped narrow down what im looking for greatly
Quote by nssurge
thanks alot, although looking around a used hotrod might be out of my price range

just wandering why would you not buy the link i posted ?

Never ever seen or heard one of those so it is an unknown quantity. A good used Hot Rod Deluxe/Deville would get you in the game. Keep looking.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
ok thanks, i think a 20 watt tube amp would be more appropiate for me if i think about it.
I hear you need to turn a tube amp up to get nice tone out of it, and 50 watt turned up would be deafening for indoor playing
^ not really.
I mean if you find a 20w amp that suits your needs better than a 50w amp, go get it!
But don't get one or the other just for the sake of the power.

The thing here lies in the speaker mostly, and a bit in the volume: when a speaker pushes more air it sounds fuller, and when the volume is higher you start hearing all of the frequency range at a more even volume, resulting in more bass, so a fuller sound.
That happens with everything.
Tube guitar amps, transistor guitar amps, whatever hi-fi amp...
Everything.

If you turn the volume up enough your amp will start to distort the sound it's amplifying, and that may be desirable or not depending on your taste, but it's fockin' loud anyways since the difference in volume between 20w and 50w is about 4dB, which is not much.

So, get an amp for its features, not for its power, because chances are the power will be more than enough in any case.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by nssurge

i haven't tried it but the word on the net is that it's a higher wattage take on a fender blues junior. they also do a more straight (15 watts) BJ clone I think.

price is the concern, sometimes stuff that's too cheap is too cheap for a reason. the jet cities are great value but if you want fender twin-style clean tones then i'd probably look elsewhere.

if you don't need tons of wattage/clean headroom the fender pro junior might be worth a look. i doubt it sounds exactly like a twin, but it does sound fendery.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by diabolical
AC30 or AC15 or one of their clones like Peavey Classic 30. Maybe one of the small tube Laneys.

I'm pretty sure the Classic 30 is nothing like a Vox, though it may work since there is a good clean channel and some workable gain.
Quote by nssurge
thanks guys for your help, I think I'm going for this in the end, it used to be made with a different brand name and ive seen many good reviews
although that jet city is still tempting
http://www.amazon.co.uk/SubZero-Tube-20R-20W-Guitar-Amp/dp/B00F8IY4FG/ref=sr_1_3?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1398194380&sr=1-3&keywords=20r+amp

Good luck, I'd go with the Jet City though. They are proven to be good reliable amps, with that Subzero, who knows what it will be like
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Good luck, I'd go with the Jet City though. They are proven to be good reliable amps, with that Subzero, who knows what it will be like

There the exact same as the belcat brand just rebranded
ive heard good things about them
Quote by diabolical
SubZero looks good, not much that can go wrong on these small amps so I wouldn't be too worried.

If you can swing Orange Tiny Terror combo I think you'll be right on the money but it is twice the price.

I'm broke mate, drugs are expensive you know ahahha
Quote by nssurge
I'm broke mate, drugs are expensive you know ahahha

so get a job like everyone else
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2