I have a fender starcaster strat with stock strings. What gauge strings would they be? Im planning on getting a new set. is it true that i need to stay on the same gauge strings or else i'd have to adjust the truss rod?
Depending on what gauge you go to, yes and no. sometimes you can get away with it but others its nice to do a proper set up.
I had 9-42 on my strat, swapped them to 9-48, had to do a little little tweaking on the bridge but thats about it.

But if you go from 9-46 to 11-54? you would have to adjust things on it.

Depends on what tuning you want to keep the guitar in.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Probably 9-42. And no, you don't have to adjust the truss rod unless you put on very heavy strings for some reason.
Thanks for the replies! If i were to switch to a heavier gauge string, would i have to adjust the truss before or after i put the strings on? And regardless of gauge, i can have the strings on any tuning, right?
whenever changing string gauge, you adjust the truss rod after tuning to pitch. and if you're going to downtune, you need thicker strings to keep the right tension on them. skinny strings with a low tuning and they're gonna flop around and bottom out. take the guitar for a setup if you're not comfortable doing it
Quote by Insanekid50
Thanks for the replies! If i were to switch to a heavier gauge string, would i have to adjust the truss before or after i put the strings on?

Adjust it after. How much you adjust it will depend on how the neck relief is after you have tuned up the new strings.

And regardless of gauge, i can have the strings on any tuning, right?

Well...yes and no. If you tuned, for instance, from E standard (EADGBE) to Drop D (DADGBE), that probably wouldn't require any setup changes (other than intonation, probably). If you decided to tune, for instance, from E standard to D standard (DGFCAD), then you would probably need to adjust the truss rod, intonation, and everything else about your guitar's setup. This is assuming you decided to stay in lower tunings for more than a few hours.

If you switch to alternate tunings and then switch back to E standard once in a while (so, no more than a few hours in an alternate tuning), then that shouldn't be a huge issue, as long as you monitor the neck relief, intonation, etc. for E standard.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Apr 20, 2014,
i am assuming you are new.

.09's are typically what fender (parent company to squier) puts on stock. my students i suggest .09's, some of them are younger, but its easier to push down on the string to the fret. and for the record what you have is a 25.5" scale.

good luck
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i am assuming you are new.

.09's are typically what fender (parent company to squier) puts on stock. my students i suggest .09's, some of them are younger, but its easier to push down on the string to the fret. and for the record what you have is a 25.5" scale.

good luck

I've been playing for awhile, but i just dont have any experience with string gauges other than basic knowledge.

I'm .09's now. Should i just upgrade to 10's to get my fingers adjusted and go up from there? I want some strings that will hold up on drop tunings,which I tune to fairly often (but i always go back to standard tuning afterwards).

I play all genres, but metal is a sweet spot for me and i'd like to be able to tune down. What would gauge you suggest?
Yeah 09 - 42 will be your stock.Work up slowly in string guages,Try 10 - 46 next and see how you get on with them.
Quote by Insanekid50
I've been playing for awhile, but i just dont have any experience with string gauges other than basic knowledge.

I'm .09's now. Should i just upgrade to 10's to get my fingers adjusted and go up from there? I want some strings that will hold up on drop tunings,which I tune to fairly often (but i always go back to standard tuning afterwards).

I play all genres, but metal is a sweet spot for me and i'd like to be able to tune down. What would gauge you suggest?

How low of a drop tuning do you mean? Drop D? Drop C? Drop B? What? Because...depending on how low you tune, it may be worth it to just pick a tuning and learning to transpose songs.

So, if you're in Drop C a lot, for instance, then I would recommend just sticking in Drop C. Then, when a song is in Drop D or E standard, rework the fingerings to be able to play it easily in Drop C tuning. Make sense?

Edit:
Also, how low you will be tuning will influence how thick of a string gauge we'll recommend.
Thanks a ton to all of you!

I decided on just going up to 10's for now. I suppose ill see how i like these and go up as i see fit.

I have them on my guitar now. How will i know if i need to adjust the truss? If i see bowing in the neck after awhile? And intonation?
Quote by Insanekid50
I have them on my guitar now. How will i know if i need to adjust the truss? If i see bowing in the neck after awhile?

You should see some bowing not too long after putting new strings on, if you need to adjust the truss rod. Eyeball your guitar neck. Then, get a ruler or something out and make sure it's straight. If it's straight, cool. If not, I assume you can figure that out.

And intonation?

Well, get out your tuner. I assume you've already tuned the strings. So, double check that they're still in tune (new strings and all). Now, play every string at the 12th fret. If the tuner says that both the open string AND the 12th fret are in tune, then you don't need to adjust the intonation on that string. If the 12th fret doesn't show as in tune, then you need to adjust the intonation.

Oh, you may also need to adjust the action. If the action feels comfortable, then ignore the part of the video where this guy talks about setting up the action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQYA_UG4DjI
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Apr 21, 2014,
Quote by Insanekid50

its not an improvement its a matter of preference. i would maybe considering trying .10's, but that may not fit you right as how it feels.

drop Cstd i wouldn't go less than a .12-.13 as a best guess, but get used to standard tuning.

also it may be cool to tune to C, but keep in mind not everbody does, and if you have a friend come over to play with it sucks. either tune up and go trough that hassle, or just play one at a time.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/