I know this sounds stupid...but what do I do in a situation when someone offers me a guitar I REALLY like yet it's worth quite a bit less than what I am looking to trade? I've been in some weird trading situations, I'm a guitar player and all I have left at the moment is a bass that cost $800 new and the guitar in question is only $500 new. Getting kinda desperate for a guitar, but at the same time, I could really use some cash, so a more valuable instrument would be nice. I also tend to trade around a lot, meeeh

Guitar in question is a Fender Blacktop Strat with a Floyd Rose Special. I have a BC Rich Classic Heritage Mockingbird Bass.
Well the Fender is a more desirable guitar then the BC Rich. If you like the strat then trade or maybe he could give you a few dollars to make the trade more even.
Quote by KingChris90
Well the Fender is a more desirable guitar then the BC Rich. If you like the strat then trade or maybe he could give you a few dollars to make the trade more even.

This. I think it's better to lose a bit but end up with a guitar that you will use, than to keep a bass that you don't use, which seems to be the case. Personally, I'd do it.

And instead of adding some money to make the trade more even, he could add a pedal or some other piece of equipment that he has no use for anymore, and that you could sell if you also have no use for it.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Trade plus cash? This is even better if you need the cash!
Bass for Guitar + $100
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
you should really find out the used values of each, not new cost.

if you trade straight up you would probably "lose" about $150 or so. I would try and sell the bass separately and then buy the guitar or try and get him to chip in atleast $100.
In your position I'd take the Fender.
You'll have something you'll actually use and Fenders keep their value better and sell easier than BC rich.
When you're trading, always consider how easy something is to sell. I'd rather an $800 guitar with a huge market than a $1200 guitar with no market, from a business point of view. You just end up marking your price further and further down till it starts getting a bit ridiculous.
Silverburst
Play the Fender blacktop first and make sure the guitar is to your liking. I had a BT (no Floyd Rose) about a year ago and kept it less that 2 weeks before I unloaded it. Just didn't do anything for me.
Figure out the used values of each (considering condition as well) and ask for difference in cash.
No one should reasonably expect to get a more expensive guitar for their cheaper model.
This is one reason I hate trades, it's usually because people are too damned lazy to list and sell their stuff in the first place.
Moving on.....
It's not untypical for a trade to involve cash in addition to the guitar if you're trading up. It shouldn't be a straight-up trade. If you're figuring from new prices, and the difference is $300, I'd think that $150 would be reasonable.
Well, it absolutely needs cash with it, but this guy just refuses to make it fair, one of those guys that thinks just because his guitar is "newer" it's somehow worth the price it cost new and claims something a few years old is worth less than half its value. I've had a few better deals, though I passed them before. I really want a guitar, but I've been trading up and stuff and it only feels counter-productive to get impatient now. I don't think I can give a craigslist cheat what he wants when it's such an uneven trade. Mexican made Fenders just hold absolutely NO value in the trade/sell market, mexican standards generally go for 35-50% of the new price, even in good shape.
In the UK market mexi/USA Fenders sell really easily. Even the Chinese ones go for a decent amount.
Silverburst
Quote by Velcro Man
Well, it absolutely needs cash with it, but this guy just refuses to make it fair, one of those guys that thinks just because his guitar is "newer" it's somehow worth the price it cost new and claims something a few years old is worth less than half its value. I've had a few better deals, though I passed them before. I really want a guitar, but I've been trading up and stuff and it only feels counter-productive to get impatient now. I don't think I can give a craigslist cheat what he wants when it's such an uneven trade. Mexican made Fenders just hold absolutely NO value in the trade/sell market, mexican standards generally go for 35-50% of the new price, even in good shape.

If you asked for cash to help make a fair trade and he refused, then he thinks he has you over a barrel and expects to make a killing. As much as you want that guitar, I would tell you to walk away.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77