The first play through, it sounded off, but after checking out the original live performance, and listening to both several times, I can say it is close enough. The best advice I can give you from my limited experience would be to play the track on a slower tempo. The slower you go the better you can sync and feel how the solo should sound. The fingers remember better too.

I would like to know though if you recoded the solo against the backing or did you record it listening to a metronome. I always have tough time with these solos, because they are more "improvised" than "technical". The bends are fine, technique was fine and did notice a slight mistake that sounded like a half dead note but who doesnt hit a bum note when recording right? :P

The tone of the backing tracks were nice, not sure if you recorded those yourself. The lead though personally could be less in treble or different pickup setting it was fine but certain areas it did sound distorted/noisy at the higher end. That could just be my audio setup, no one recording sounds the same for every speaker.

With all that said, it is a good effort and well done. Room for improvement

Side Note: Thanks for the comment on my cover, I have always had trouble with vibrato, my weakness, or atleast weak fingers xD Though didnt help I didnt play the song in years, so recorded it without much practice. lol

Cheers! Hope I am of some help
Last edited by XGarysandstormX at Apr 21, 2014,
Thanks alot for the crit man.

I recorded this using mixcraft. As for the backing track, i used the backing track of the original studio version of the song and played the improvised solo on it.

Ill work on it, but covering clapton is seeming impossible now :s

As for your vibrato, check out Ben Eller's vibrato lesson on youtube. He always gives great tips.
The track isn't too bad of a recording. I enjoy the tone of your guitar, but I would recommend that you do a little EQ work in mixcraft to pull out some of those pick noises (which I could be wrong, but I believe are usually around 5k).

Solo timing was a little off at some parts as well, so just make sure you go over it a few times with a click track, and then you'll be all tightened up!
Im not an expert at recording so i really don't know how to get rid of the pick noise:s btw what is a click track?
Hi, Cjb pretty much said what I was going to say about the click track. A click track is just a recording of a beat just another type of metronome. You can use either though. Most of not all recording or music type of applications come with a built in metronome/click track. Its one of if not the most important part. All practice work should be done against a metronome aswel, thats how good timing is developed.

If you want to know a bit more about the EQ stuff, I recommend checking this video, I also didnt know anything about recording and used this guys tips to make my cover. He has videos for rhythm, lead, bass and drum recording. Short but informative videos for noobies like us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvPnMDNr5Wk
Last edited by XGarysandstormX at Apr 22, 2014,
Tone was ok...a bit too much OD, a cranked amp sounds so different.

Your phrasing is a bit stilted; not as fluid as could be.
I think part of that is your pick...and or picking.
Very heavy, enough for me to hear the pick more than the note.

You have a good ear, it sounds like you know what you want to say, musically.

As far as wrapping your head around a solo. A counter intuitive trick.
Speed the song up.

I was trying to learn Freebird, put the record player on 45 rpm and wailed as best I could.
When I slowed it back to normal speed, 33 rpm, it sounded positively slow - easy to play.
Thanks for the crit! I'm not familiar with the live version of this song, but the timing seems off in a few places. Your tone could use a little be less treble. Nice playing overall though. I hope I don't seem too harsh, just trying to give helpful feedback.
Quote by JWG2007
Thanks for the crit! I'm not familiar with the live version of this song, but the timing seems off in a few places. Your tone could use a little be less treble. Nice playing overall though. I hope I don't seem too harsh, just trying to give helpful feedback.

Hahaha no man, I want people to be honest noone cares if its harsh. I really really need to get this solo right :s