Howdy

So after pulling the trigger on a jet city jca22h + a harley benton g212 vintage 30 cab, I'm starting to move towards building a solid pedal arsenal.
I can't say for sure what kind of OD I want, mostly due to my inexperience with them, nor if I want a simple OD for boosts or something with a little more dirt (however I understand I wouldn't really need it bearing in mind the jet city has plenty of gain to mess with). That being said I position myself between the classics ts-type pedals and something like OCD (there's something about it that has always made me gas for one).
So far this are the options I'm considering:

BOSS SD-1: it's a benchmark, a lot of guitar players use them.

HARDWIRE SC-2/ CM-2: Bill Kelliher uses/used one. Always digged their tone . The CM-2 presents for the same reason as the SC-2 but being less gainy, leaning more towards the tube screamer side.

COOL CAT DRIVE V1: has been claimed to be a perfect OCD clone and I might have the chance to find one used.

JOYO VINTAGE OD/ ULTIMATE DRIVE: the vintage od seems to be a good ts clone and it's rather cheap, on the other hand the ultimate drive is regarded as a good OCD type pedal. They both get good reviews, some people seem to dislike their reliability though.

BAD MONKEY: apparently a good ts clone. It's cheap and a lot of people seem to like it so it's worth the shot.

MOOER HUSTLE DRIVE: Another clone that maybe it's worth the consideration.

Obviously I would list the original ts and OCD but they are rather expensive new and even used. But who knows, maybe I find a good deal.

The Jet city is quite bright so probably I want to avoid a pedal that is also bright. So what say you?
If it were me I'd go with a bad monkey and an sd1. One is tight and chunky (bm) and one is crispy and grainy (sd1). Throw the bd2 (theres a joyo version too) on your list to check out.

No fuzz?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I'd take a look at the Electro Harmonix soul food, the cool cat v1 is also pretty good as well.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
You could also look at the Mooer Black Secret. Nice Marshall-y tones out of that one.
Honestly, a used TS-9 will run you like $50. Not an awful price for a great pedal.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
You could also look at the Mooer Black Secret. Nice Marshall-y tones out of that one.
Honestly, a used TS-9 will run you like $50. Not an awful price for a great pedal.

Not here in Portugal. At least I only seem to find them at the 80 € - 100 € range
Quote by lucky1978
If it were me I'd go with a bad monkey and an sd1. One is tight and chunky (bm) and one is crispy and grainy (sd1). Throw the bd2 (theres a joyo version too) on your list to check out.

No fuzz?

Can't say I have really considered a fuzz yet. But for no specific reason, it just seems a tad different from what I'd want. I may be wrong though
Quote by RuiGuitar
Not here in Portugal. At least I only seem to find them at the 80 € - 100 € range

Do you have a Facebook account? I can give you the links to a few groups where I trade and sell equipment with other portuguese musicians, you can ask for a TS9 there. Sometimes they pop up in the 60 - 70€ range.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
Do you have a Facebook account? I can give you the links to a few groups where I trade and sell equipment with other portuguese musicians, you can ask for a TS9 there. Sometimes they pop up in the 60 - 70€ range.

I already belong in a few . I've hardly seen a ts being sold for less than 80 € there, but I've probably missed some. I'll pay more attention from now on. Though as the title suggests I'm only doing research on the matter since I've recently invested on the head+cab and need to raise some funds .
Boss SD-1 is highly underrated as a boost IMO (especially when modded but not necessary). If your amp can already produce a decent crunchy marshall-ish distortion but lacks the extra punch, thickness and gain for leads or heavier riffs the SD-1 works really well with a lot of amps. Plus it's not even $50 brand new so you can't really go wrong.

I usually set it at: Level - 3:00, Tone - 11:00, Drive 8:00 and get a really nice boost.

~Cheers
Quote by RuiGuitar

The Jet city is quite bright so probably I want to avoid a pedal that is also bright. So what say you?

maybe. the sd1 is a bit brighter/edgier than a tubescreamer. that being said i like how my daphon sd1 clone sounds with my jet city so (I use eminence v12 speakers with mine, bit like more mellow v30s.)

personally i like to use a more transparent boost pedal for higher gain rhythm tones (timmy, digitech screamin blues, I'm guessing the EHX soul food would work too, anything along those type of lines) and then either a ts or sd1-style od for leads for more mids and compression and bass cut.

that's only one way to do it, though, and if you dial in more gain on the amp you might not need the transparent boost for rhythm tones (i just like how a boost sounds at lower volumes).

i don't really like using an ocd as a boost (i've got the joyo version). to me it's a bit muddy on the bass. but as a standalong od/light distortion it's pretty good. again different people have different opinions, i've seen posts on here where people liked using an ocd as a boost so
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a small assortment of OD pedals, and the SD-1 is my favourite. It has two things going for it:

It has asymmetric clipping and sounds very sweet.

The amount of clipping isn't very touch-sensitive, so the tone stays pretty much the same no matter how you pick. This makes it a good alternative sound to something like a Bad Monkey (which I also have) which is touch-sensitive.

The tone controls are a good feature of the Bad Monkey, in addition to it's sturdy build and overall good tone.

I played through an OCD a couple of weekends ago, and liked the tone. Another one I like is the Little Big Muff Pi, for out-and-out fuzz.

FWIW, I've found that the sound I like best with OD is a bright amp, and wind the treble off on the guitar, so that what you hear are the pedal-generated overtones.
Isn't the Cool Cat v1 a Timmy clone? If so grab it. Then you just need a tubescreamer of some type. The Bad Monkey is a decent way to go, although the buffer is a bit of a tone sucker; not terribly so but it is noticeable. Green Rhino or the Hardwire is what I'd be recommending but they are a little more expensive.
Btw I use the Timmy, Bad Monkey combination with a lot of success. I use the Timmy for a lead boost and the BM as a rhythm boost.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ the v1 transparent drive is the timmy clone, the v1 drive is the ocd clone

i also find it funny we use them the opposite way round
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ the v1 transparent drive is the timmy clone, the v1 drive is the ocd clone

i also find it funny we use them the opposite way round

Yeah the v1 drives clones the OCD. I can actually try to find a transparent drive v1 used if it's also a good choice.
Yeah, get the transparent if you can find one. A tubescreamer type pedal and a Timmy is a good match.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ agreed.

^^ yeah the transparent one is arguably better for using as a boost. some people do use OCD-type pedals as boosts, too, so there's no hard and fast rule, but the transparent one is absolutely killer when used as a boost.

just don't pay too much- i'm not sold on the coolcats' reliability, and the original timmy isn't that expensive at $129 (though it's a bit of a pain to get hold of as you have to either get on the waiting list or find one in stock).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd also go for the Bad Monkey and SD-1. A good cheap TS type tubescreamer with the Bad Monkey, and a more OCD like, 'harder' overdrive, with the SD-1. They're cheap enough new, but it's even better if you could find them used.
^ I'd have said an SD1 was a lot closer to a tubescreamer than an OCD. Both in terms of circuit design and sound. It is a bit more marshally-sounding than a ts, so I suppose from that point of view you could say it's maybe a little closer to an OCD than a ts is, but it still has the mid hump, bass cut and compression that a ts has, just to a slightly lesser extent (whereas an OCD has a far flatter eq response), it's just a bit brighter/edgier-sounding than a TS.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Out of your list, I would take the hardwire cm2. I have one and i use it for low to mid gai grit on my clean channel. Very agressive too as a boost if you want.