I've been watching this video of vai plaing 'building the church' live, and I simply don't understand how he does the ending solo. The part I'm talking about starts at 8:00.

http://youtu.be/aK532U3emOQ

Anybody know how he does it and how one would go about learning the technique? Better yet, anyone have a tab for that exact part of the song?

Thanks!
He is using a sustainer that is built into his guitar so the guitar can go on sounding forever without him having to pick anything, so he is simply playing stuff with the left hand and using his right hand to use the trem without having to worry about the notes fading away. Then he also uses a whammy pedal to raise the pitch of the guitar.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by Sickz
He is using a sustainer that is built into his guitar so the guitar can go on sounding forever without him having to pick anything, so he is simply playing stuff with the left hand and using his right hand to use the trem without having to worry about the notes fading away. Then he also uses a whammy pedal to raise the pitch of the guitar.

This.

I couldn't work your link, but i watched what i assume was the video and when the pitch is raised even higher at the end i'm pretty sure he's using some sort of pitch shift.

I assume you watched this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9xCjX6CHLY
Last edited by vayne92 at Apr 21, 2014,
Quote by SuperKid
you need a good floating bridge to use the whammy bar like that. in my case, with only a dive bomb my strings were all de-tuned horribly on my old ibanez

This is very true. Steve Vai is probably known best for his immaculate and innovative use of the whammy bar. He abuses the shit out of his whammy bar so if you intend on doing the same you'll need a damn good floating bridge.
Quote by vayne92
This is very true. Steve Vai is probably known best for his immaculate and innovative use of the whammy bar. He abuses the shit out of his whammy bar so if you intend on doing the same you'll need a damn good floating bridge.

And also make sure you lube the nut very well. Many times it's the nut that causes the tuning problems.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
Vayne92; that's the one.

Sickz; sustainer huh? How does that work and were can I get one! So he can just hammer on and do what he pleases with the whammy bar? Sweet.
Quote by Thatgymkid
Vayne92; that's the one.

Sickz; sustainer huh? How does that work and were can I get one! So he can just hammer on and do what he pleases with the whammy bar? Sweet.

Yeah, it's a piece of electronics that are based within the guitar that affects your pickups. I really couldn't tell you more about how it works, cause i am not a gear junkie so i don't actually know how it technically works.

Here's a video of it though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSjv8ACp12o

It's called the "Fernandes sustainer", and can be installed into virtually any guitar. For more information about it check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kzP4-RghME

Quote by Guthrie Govan

Quote by Chick Corea
Quote by Sickz
Yeah, it's a piece of electronics that are based within the guitar that affects your pickups. I really couldn't tell you more about how it works, cause i am not a gear junkie so i don't actually know how it technically works.

Here's a video of it though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSjv8ACp12o

It's called the "Fernandes sustainer", and can be installed into virtually any guitar. For more information about it check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kzP4-RghME

Great videos, thanks a ton!

So which would be best/cheapest? Taking the guitar I already have and buying the kit as well as a Floyd rose trem (the trem I have now only goes one way though, I'd have to carve it out somehow.), buying a guitar with Floyd rose on it already and installing the sustainer, or just buying a Fernandes guitar?
Last edited by Thatgymkid at Apr 22, 2014,
Quote by Thatgymkid

So which would be best/cheapest? Taking the guitar I already have and buying the kit as well as a Floyd rose trem (the trem I have now only goes one way though, I'd have to carve it out somehow.), buying a guitar with Floyd rose on it already and installing the sustainer, or just buying a Fernandes guitar?

That's seriously a huge modification to make to a guitar - carving out the wood in the bridge piece, installing a floyd rose tremolo and a sustainer. Personally i think if you're new to guitar this is just a terrible idea. I think the use you get out of will be minimal and the novelty will wear off quite quickly.

This is also gong to cost you like A LOT
I'm not sure about sustainer kits and the installation process, but the kit alone seems to be around $300

So that's a picture of all the shit in the sustainer kit, and with that knowledge i will assume that installing it is quite a lengthy and difficult process.
Then because of the nature of some of the stuff you'd essentially be doing with a sustainer you'd want a top of the line floyd rose which is i have no idea... $100?
Then installing it, which will cost even more than usual because your guitar isn't built to house a floating tremolo
Like honestly, this looks like it would be a seriously expensive job costing likely over $500.
I'm no gearhead though, the people in the GG&A sub-forum would know much better than me. If you want a better idea of the cost of a project like this and the difficulties involved you'd be way way better off asking there.

Tldr:

I think this is a stupid idea and the novelty will wear off quickly (much quicker than you think). It will also cost a shitload.

EDIT: I also assume any Fernandes guitar with the specifications you want costs over $1000
Last edited by vayne92 at Apr 23, 2014,
I'm pretty sure the pitch is a feature of the sustainer where it vibrates on the harmonic instead, or something.
Quote by Sickz
And also make sure you lube the nut very well. Many times it's the nut that causes the tuning problems.

they are locking nuts with FR

Also an easier solution is to buy a Ebow
Last edited by Tempoe at Apr 23, 2014,