Hey guys,

I have been setting up my new amp/pedals for my practice room and I just wanted to make sure my pedal chain is correct. This is what I have right now...

Guitar---->(input)Noise Gate(output)----> Amp
|<--------(Send)Noise Gate (Recieve)<------|
|--->Compressor---->EQ---->Overdrive--->|

Let me know if this doesn't make sense but it is just the guitar to the noise gate input and the noise gate output to the amp and the secondary loop from the noise gate send to the compressor -> EQ -> Overdrive back to the noise gate receive.

If it makes any difference I play either a schecter C1 or a customized Ibanez RG350 and my amp is a blackstar HT1 or a Mesa Dual Rec. I play mainly 80's/90's metal lead but a pretty big variety of different music.

Appreciate any input/comments.

Thanks!
Last edited by czyc at Apr 21, 2014,
I'd go:

Guitar -> Compressor -> Overdrive -> Amp input

Amp FX send -> EQ -> Noise gate -> Amp FX return
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
I'd go:

Guitar -> Compressor -> Overdrive -> Amp input

Amp FX send -> EQ -> Noise gate -> Amp FX return

I would do this also. No harm in trying different combinations and seeing what you like either.
Thanks a lot guys. I will give that a shot.

Suggestions for an amp without an fx loop?
Quote by czyc
Suggestions for an amp without an fx loop?

Guitar -> Compressor -> Overdrive -> EQ -> Noise gate -> Amp input

Of course, this is my personal preference. As Adam pointed out, you may find that a different order works better for your taste.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
Guitar -> Compressor -> Overdrive -> EQ -> Noise gate -> Amp input

Of course, this is my personal preference. As Adam pointed out, you may find that a different order works better for your taste.

Great, thanks a lot
Honestly it's a pretty good setup you have going, I'm assuming your gate is the NS-2? Lots of people run their dirt pedals in the NS loop.

If you're looking for a great high gain noise reduction for an fx loop look at adding the ISP Decimator G string. You run guitar into the guitar in, then out into the NS-2, put all your noisy pedals (compressor, dirt, etc.) in the NS's loop, then the actual noise gate from the ISP in the fx loop.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by GABarrie
Honestly it's a pretty good setup you have going, I'm assuming your gate is the NS-2? Lots of people run their dirt pedals in the NS loop.

Yup, NS-2

Quote by GABarrie

If you're looking for a great high gain noise reduction for an fx loop look at adding the ISP Decimator G string. You run guitar into the guitar in, then out into the NS-2, put all your noisy pedals (compressor, dirt, etc.) in the NS's loop, then the actual noise gate from the ISP in the fx loop.

Awesome, that would be perfect. I've spent a lot of $$ on gear recently but I will definitely look into that as a purchase in the near future because it sounds like it would be pretty ideal for what I'm looking for.

Thanks!