Hi guys.

Apologies if a similar question has already been answered but my problem is very specific so I thought I'd give the details and see if anyone technically minded can help.

I have a noisy buzzy guitar. I'm playing through a Les Paul 60s tribute and a Blackstar HT5R. The buzz is apparent on high gain settings and diminishes substantially if i touch the strings which suggests this is a shielding/grounding issue. Simple enough? No, there's more...

If I plug my guitar in through my pedalboard (currently stripped down to just Wah, distortion and chorus) then the buzz is about as loud on the same volume/gain settings but does NOT diminish if I touch the strings. Now I am confused.

Does this mean that both my board/pedals and my guitar have grounding issues?
I'm not particularly technically minded so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
It does sound like a grounding issue but if your pedals are noisy too (probably just all the gain amplifying the ground hum from the guitar) it will just be easier to get a noise gate.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Maybe a voodoo lab or something similar would be beneficial. You'll need a noise gate regardless though.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

I'd recommend sorting the guitar first, then testing it again. Or test your amp and pedalboard with another guitar.
Silverburst
Re the guitar noise. P90 pickups? If so, I have the same problem in my music room due to a lot of rf noise generated by the MV spotlights. Even worse with the P100s I'm using. I don't think it is a fault, just a characteristic of some pickups and their environment, If I play in the dark, everything is a whole quieter.

You can fix it by putting grounded shielding (******* foil) under the pickup covers, but that takes the bright edge off the tone.

A solution which suits me fine but wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea is to turn the amp up very bright, then wind the treble off on the guitar. And that will exacerbate the pedal noise problem.

Or play in the dark.
Quote by Tony Done
Re the guitar noise. P90 pickups? If so, I have the same problem in my music room due to a lot of rf noise generated by the MV spotlights. Even worse with the P100s I'm using. I don't think it is a fault, just a characteristic of some pickups and their environment, If I play in the dark, everything is a whole quieter.

You can fix it by putting grounded shielding (******* foil) under the pickup covers, but that takes the bright edge off the tone.

A solution which suits me fine but wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea is to turn the amp up very bright, then wind the treble off on the guitar. And that will exacerbate the pedal noise problem.

Or play in the dark.

Weird, mad robot editor. Replaced "*******"with asterisks. Am I missing something in modern expletives?
It's the word *******. The place where you cook shit.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Hey guys, thanks for the input. I've heard about the ****** foil trick. Was about to consider it until I went to my guitar lesson. Put my LP through my teachers rig. Absolutely no noise issue.
Astounded.

I took it to be a cable problem so I ran (literally) to shops and bought a new lead and plugged it into my Blackstar. Humming was significantly reduced to a tolerable level. Tried the old cable for comparison. Not much difference. Went to work, came back and pluged it in again. Noise is BACK!

I have an intermittantly noisy guitar. Just tried my £90 Squier Strat through the amp and it's fine. Bit of tubey hiss at higher gain and volume settings and screechy feedback if i go too high but fine apart from that. Running the strat through the pedal board makes it unbearably noisy.

So I have a noisy board and a Les Paul that is noisy some of the time and fine others (usually when an expert is looking at it). I'd like to take it back to the shop but I worry that they will plug it in, tell me everything is fine then I'll take it home and it'll sound like shit again. What do I do?
If I touch one of the Gibson branded round metal things (forgive my laymans terms, i've googled it and can't find out what they're called) on the circuit board with my finger the buzzing stops. If I connected one of these to the earth wire or lined the inside with tin foil and connected it to the foil do you think my problem would be fixed?
Quote by marshall55
If I touch one of the Gibson branded round metal things (forgive my laymans terms, i've googled it and can't find out what they're called) on the circuit board with my finger the buzzing stops. If I connected one of these to the earth wire or lined the inside with tin foil and connected it to the foil do you think my problem would be fixed?

I think you are talking about potentiometers. It sounds like an intermittent earthing problem, maybe a bad solder joint somewhere. It wouldn't harm to run an earth wire from the pot case to an earth, and line the control cavity and its cover plate. I use duble sided adhesive tape for jobs like that. Make sure that the shield on the cavity cover can make contact with the eathed shielding This shielding reduces rf noise (hiss) rather than mains frequency hum.
Thanks Tony.

I tries connecting the pots to the earth wire but it didnt seem to make any difference to the buzz. Ive ben warned that lining the cabity with foil runs the risk of shorting out the components? Is thisnworth worrying about?
Just keep that finger there. May change your technique some, but it won't buzz.
Quote by marshall55
Thanks Tony.

I tries connecting the pots to the earth wire but it didnt seem to make any difference to the buzz. Ive ben warned that lining the cabity with foil runs the risk of shorting out the components? Is thisnworth worrying about?

Yes, it is a risk, but shielding is the only way to fix rf noise without winding off the treble in the signal. I put bits of insulation tape over parts that look like they make contact, so I've never had a problem with it.
Last edited by Tony Done at Apr 24, 2014,
Problem solved. I've hired a roadie to put his finger on the jack of my guitar lead at all times.