Hello all! I know there are probably tons of threads on this subject and I have no idea where to even look. Anywho, I recently bought an EMG 81/60 Hetfield set and I'm having problem after problem with installing. When I first started installing them I cut the wires on the selector switch and didn't take pictures before hand which brings up my first question: where does what wire go on what pin. It's a 2007 LTD KH-202 so it has the alpha 8-inline, 3-way lever switch. There are 2 different manufacturing locations of the guitar, so of it helps it's a Chinese one. For my second question: I am certain that I installed the pickups correctly as I have followed the instruction to a T. I've even took it all apart and tried again. But for some reason my 2 volume pots won't work. The tone pot works fine but the volumes don't. The pickups are fine. Any help is greatly appreciated. If I still can't get it to work right after this tread, I'll have to bring it to a tech.
Are you getting full output all the time? Does the selector switch work?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well, as I have no clue where the neck and bridge pickup wire goes, I don't have any wires connected to the switch. So no. It doesn't. I get full output out of the pickups, yes. The only wires connected to the switch ATM is the grounding wire.
Have you looked at a wiring diagram for the guitar, not the pickups? Sometimes it's different.

EDIT: Also, what does the 3 way look like?
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I've tried looking everywhere on the interwebs for a wiring diagram for it and I can't find it. I'll post pics in just a second
Quote by Creepin' death
I've tried looking everywhere on the interwebs for a wiring diagram for it and I can't find it. I'll post pics in just a second

If you go on EMG's site, they should have several different wiring diagrams. My guess is that you guitar will fit at least one of those diagrams.
Could you give me a link? I just went to EMGs website and I typed in "wiring diagrams" and it just gave me different types of their pickups and other stuff.
For some reason no wiring diagrams address the common 8 in line style switches, which is extremely frustrating. The usually have the 4+4 style in the diagrams.

This should help you out.

Wire the switch in and the volume pots should work.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Creepin' death
Could you give me a link? I just went to EMGs website and I typed in "wiring diagrams" and it just gave me different types of their pickups and other stuff.

My bad. Well, looks like Offworld has you covered.
So I wired them in(from top down), neck pickup to the first purple pin, bridge to the first blue. There were only 2 wires. I don't think there was supposed to be more. I know I soldered them correctly but it's the same situation. Pickups make sound, they sound fine so theres not a grounding issue, but only the tone pot changes anything.
OK....first which version of the emgs are they....the older hardwired kind or the newer plug in kind. 2cd are you using 25k volume pots or the 250k/500k pots?
They are the new plug in kind. It came as a kit with the 25k pots. I'm using the ones that came with it.
here is the base diagram for the emgs, except obviously your switch is different. So wire it up as you see here, then follow the 2cd link to the pic of how to wire your type of 3 way, only where it says volume use the tone. (dont worry about reading the thread the pic is in, just use the pic). That should work for your situation.

Link to import 3 way
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1597531
Last edited by Fastmerc at Apr 22, 2014,