I’m looking to replace my college gear setup. Heres what I currently own:
Roland MicroCube
Digitech RP355

What I really need from a new setup is this:
Plug into PA for gigs / jam
Quiet practice in apartment
Decent enough tone
Range of tones / effects

I like my gear, but my Roland is dying on me, and the digitech doesn’t sound as good as I’d like. Basically I play for a college club, and I just plug whatever I have into a PA.

While looking around online, the Yamaha THR10 seems like a jack of all trades! Aside from “tube” tone (which I’m not in the market for), it has nearly everything. I’ve seen it used for under $200, and really interested.

I was considering a Line 6 POD HD300 along with studio monitors, but I really like what the Yamaha THR10 offers, especially the battery operation (which I use occasionally in my existing Roland MicroCube). But, will the Yamaha work well through a PA? (running out of the headphone jack)
Guitars: ESP LTD H-1001FM ACSB, Epiphone SG Special
Acoustics: Fender Hellcat, Mitchell 12-string
Amps: Roland Microcube, Peavey Vypyr 15W
Effects: Digitech RP355
Well I've heard the THR sound nice in recordings, with the sound coming from the usb output, so probably the sound coming from the headphones output will be acceptable.
I haven't managed to make it sound good myself though, the speakers are just not good enough to reproduce that kinda stuff at appreciable volumes.

I'd get a used POD HDsomething plus a pair of ATH-M50.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I like both the Pod and Vox Tonelab LE for Digi-modeling direct live. Never used a Yamaha.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
To clarify, The new amp will be used at my apartment for quiet practicing, I don't want it loud.

I have a pair of really good headphones already too btw.

I guess I really just want to hear from someone that owns a Yamaha THR10 on how practical it would be to run it straight into a PA system.
Guitars: ESP LTD H-1001FM ACSB, Epiphone SG Special
Acoustics: Fender Hellcat, Mitchell 12-string
Amps: Roland Microcube, Peavey Vypyr 15W
Effects: Digitech RP355
Last edited by Newah at Apr 21, 2014,