Where's the best place to start basic music theory. I want to learn as I can learn a song from tabs but can't just listen to one and work it out I don't understand what notes go together or chords and why they sound good etc. I also can't read sheet music.

Can anyone recommend a book that would teach me this in easy dummy type terms I looked at a book the other day and was just too complex and in depth.
music theory for dummies
Last edited by mabbamam at Apr 21, 2014,
i like the complete idiot's guide to music theory (serious answer, no sarcasm)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Check out the offerings from BassBooks.com. If it is a book on bass, either they have it or you do not need it:

http://www.bassbooks.com/shopping/default.asp

As for what notes and chords go together; well, start by learning your scales and modes. By doing so, you will see patterns that come up over and over again, and the relationships in these patterns is where the music comes from. Remember: there are only twelve notes in music (unless you are into micro-tonal weirdness).
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley