Herrow. I wanted to ask how to string mute,like in the intro for hail to the king by a7x and in some songs by RATM. From what i've learned i just lay my fretting hand across the strings lightly and strum but it i can't get it to sound the same and i was wondering if it's my technique or my gear. I'm not good at explaining lol
I'm guessing you are talking about the "chunk chunk" sound after the 3 chords in the intro to Hail to the King?
Have you tried palm muting? Lay the heel of your picking hand lightly on the strings near the bridge when you strum. If you're planning on playing a lot of hard rock and metal you will need to be able to do this effectively.
I don't think I have ever muted the strings with the fretting hand while playing. I do mute the low E with my thumb when fretting chords on the higher strings.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Yes after the three chords and i know how to palm mute. So if i lightly place my picking hand on the strings would that produce the "chunk chunk" sound?
lay your fretting hand on the strings (at least two fingers), and you can get a heavy percussive sound. if you want it to be more of a scrape, additionally lay your picking hand down. experiment with where you put your hands.

actually let's clear this up, are you asking about palm muting or dead notes? are they notes, or mainly a percussive sound?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
well try muting with both hands and see if that gets closer. i found that out when i noticed that only using your fretting hand to do dead notes gets you too much of the note and/or artificial harmonic in certain situations.

your eq/distortion settings will also make a difference, but i dunno how to tell you to change them.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!