Hello there. I don't know very much English. So, sorry for my mistakes.

I bought a tube amplifier couple months ago and began to buy analog effects. But there's a problem about switching. When I start to play solo part I've to press delay, booster and drive. And sometimes after I played solo part I've press all of them and one more pedal (for example tremolo in clean tone). Pressing 4 or more pedal in within 2 seconds is very stressful and sometimes low success rate

So I researched whether such a tool to do that. I found Pedal Switchers. But I don't know anything about them.

1. How they are work?

2. There is so many choice, what is the difference between them?

Thanks in advance.
Usually when someone wants to do that they use something called an Effects Loop. The difference between them is usually the quality of the parts and how many loops it has.

Here's a video of how they work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIYeazOegrI
About 2:37 is when he describes what you want to do.

I would highly recommend the pedal described as well.
Last edited by iwannabesedated at Apr 21, 2014,
Quote by mercek
1. How they are work?

they enable a 'side-chain' or 'effects loop'. the ones you are most likely talking about run multiple side-chain and effects loops.

the pedal switcher itself can run multiple 'send' and 'receives' that form a 'loop' (the send provides a signal to the pedal and the receive gets the signal from the pedal), you can run a single pedal or multiple pedals in each loop and then you can program the pedal switcher to turn on and off different loops as presets.

for example, you can put a boost in loop 1, an OD in loop 2 and a delay in loop three. then you can program the first switch in the pedal looper to just have the OD on (this would be your rhythm tone mayhap) and then you can have the second switch enable all three pedals at once (this would be your lead tone).

2. There is so many choice, what is the difference between them?

the difference is mainly the size/scope (how programmable it is, how many loops they provide and how many switches/patches they provide for you to mix and match the loops
) and quality (true bypass or buffered, quality of jacks and switches, quality of the housing, etc)
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Thank you so much both of you. You guys just rescued me hours of research. I have a few questions more in my mind.

I believe when I use this kind of equipment, I must left all my pedals(which are connected the Effects loop) in ON position and I have to change my tone with this "Effects Loop" only? If it's like that I should buy more complex Effects loop pedal than BigShot EFX am I right?

I usually use 6 tones but the exceptions. They are Clean, Clean Solo, Drive, Drive Solo, Distortion, Distortion Solo. In clean tone I open chorus, tremolo, delay effects sometimes. This changes in clean tone, can be occur when I use drive or distortion tones with different pedals which is Wah, Phaser etc.

In that circumstances do you know an Effects Loop that you recommend?
Last edited by mercek at Apr 21, 2014,
Just stepping outside the box for a moment. Here's how I do it. I use a MFX in the amp's loop for all my mod/time effects (actually a Quadraverb with a small MIDI controller) and pedals for my overdrives. That way I only ever have to hit a maximum of two buttons at the same time. The fact that my amp channels can be switched by MIDI helps but you could always use a MIDI controller that has non-MIDI amp switching onboard.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by mercek
I believe when I use this kind of equipment, I must left all my pedals(which are connected the Effects loop) in ON position

that is how it works

Quote by mercek
and I have to change my tone with this "Effects Loop" only?

yes

Quote by mercek
If it's like that I should buy more complex Effects loop pedal than BigShot EFX am I right?

possibly, i am sure you may be able to make it work with the bigshot, but if you want more flexibility then you may want something more robust.

Quote by mercek
I usually use 6 tones but the exceptions. They are Clean, Clean Solo, Drive, Drive Solo, Distortion, Distortion Solo. In clean tone I open chorus, tremolo, delay effects sometimes. This changes in clean tone, can be occur when I use drive or distortion tones with different pedals which is Wah, Phaser etc.

In that circumstances do you know an Effects Loop that you recommend?

that sounds like you may want something more robust. though i'd personally leave the wah out of the loops and operate that manually, but that is just my personal preference.

the carl martin octa-switch gets good press. it seems to work with switching your amp's channels as well if you want such flexibility.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Apr 21, 2014,
Easy solution could be to get a Boss Line Selector which lets you select two "loops" of effects, so all the ones you need to press together could be installed on say loop A and the clean signal going to the amp on loop B. That will probably be easiest.

There are also lots of pedal switchers but they are not cheap. Look into Voodoo Lab Pedal Switcher to get an idea what it out there.
On second thought I can manage my tones with Big Shot EFX by pressing maximum of two switches until I expand my budget and buy a multi channel amplifier. It's better than pressing 4 switches. Because they were not so cheap really. Thanks all of you.
Last edited by diabolical at Apr 21, 2014,
Quote by diabolical

It's very good too actually. I'm gonna look at both of them. In here(Turkey) we don't have many options. I can't find some equipments like Guyatone WR-3 Wah Rocker. And that pedal switchers is one of that equipments I cannot find easily too I guess. Which one can avaible in here, I will take it or as a last resort I can order from thomann.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
nice and easy to build. about as simple as it gets. search for a diagram and you will be golden. this is much cheaper. you could go for three without issue. just switches and jacks are all they are. and a foot of wire.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/