My budget is around 1500 maybe 1600 and Im willing to buy used. Im really looking for something that can pull off vintage 80 sounds. JCM800 or JCM900 SLX? I was also looking at a JVM410H but people say they sound to modern. I dont have anywhere to try out these amps sadly. I just need something that screams and sounds something like megadeths first albums. I also play death metal but i can use pedals. primarily looking for thrash sounds. thanks!
Grab the SL/X. Beastly amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Depends on what JCM800 it is. If it's a 2203 then it's a tough decision, both are phenomenal.

I'd take the SL/X.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by diabolical
Look into Mesa dual and triple recto.
For thrash?
You sure?

I'd take the JCM800 plus a serious boost or the SLX.
Well I'd think about the serious boost even with the SLX.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Just to throw another option out there, aside from the 800, a few thrash bands used the Mark IIC+ in the 80s.

You could probably find a used Mark V and use the Mark IIC+ preamp for $1600-1700. And then you'll have a wide variety of sounds on top of that. And you'll also have a good brit type crunch on channel 2.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
I don't know what a Soldano SLO goes for in your area, but that would be a cool option as well, in my opinion.
Don't really know if it'd do thrash that well.
Anyway gimme a call next time you see an SLO for $1600.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
SLX for sure. Thrash guys all boost the shit out of their 800s. The SLX is a monster on its own.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Spambot_2
Don't really know if it'd do thrash that well.
Anyway gimme a call next time you see an SLO for $1600.

I'd happily use an SLO for thrash. And I said I didn't know pricing in his area. I saw one selling for around 1600 euros here not too long ago, hence my suggestion.
The SL-X is a freaking monster. Get it, I loved mine. It will thrash and much, much more.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Spambot_2
For thrash?
You sure?

I'd take the JCM800 plus a serious boost or the SLX.
Well I'd think about the serious boost even with the SLX.

Why not? Quite a few local bands around here use the Dual for thrash and it sounds great. You don't always have to put the gain at 11

Wasn't Jet City Soldano cloen on the cheap? Maybe one of these will be like the SLO?
I'd be all over an SLO if I could get hands on one.

How 'bout Laney TT series or one of the Toni Iommi heads? That should work well.

BTW I have an old Laney AOR 50 that does Metallica "Kill 'Em All" tones on my Ibanez S405 with X2N pickup and with Sparkle Drive in front.
Last edited by diabolical at Apr 22, 2014,
The SL-X is a beast. If you're in America, my favorite hot rod Marshall is the Splawn Quickrod. The Nitro if you want something a little more modern.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by diabolical
Why not? Quite a few local bands around here use the Dual for thrash and it sounds great. You don't always have to put the gain at 11
Dunnow, I can't put the things together in my head, but if it actually sound good, I stand corrected.
Quote by diabolical
Wasn't Jet City Soldano cloen on the cheap? Maybe one of these will be like the SLO?
Soldano Hot Rods, the SLO's bigger and meaner.
Quote by diabolical
I'd be all over an SLO if I could get hands on one.
Me too, especially for 1600 bucks, but I still don't think it'd be ideal for thrash

Though again, that's just me, if the thing does the job who cares about what a spambot thinks
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I've gotten some pretty good thrash tones out of a Recto, but I don't think it would be my first choice. Too loose.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan