I have been playing guitar (mostly self-taught) for 12 years. The downside? I have been picking improperly the entire time. And yes, I have watched all sorts of videos on correcting it, but there is just something I am doing wrong that makes it incredibly uncomfortable and strains the hell out of my hand.
I am trying to train myself out of my current picking style, and it is pretty much just frustrating now. My current picking style is with the pick angle towards the bridge, rather than the neck. It has its ups and downs, though I can only tremolo pick so fast, scaling is difficult, alternating strings requires too much energy, etc... I am trying to nail down every facet of what I am doing wrong to correct this bad habit.
Any suggestions would be incredibly helpful!
Quote by cjeisel48
I My current picking style is with the pick angle towards the bridge, rather than the neck.

I'm trying to wrap my head around that.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
My wrist is curved in slightly and instead of a 45-ish degree pick angle towards the neck, it's towards the bridge. I tilt the pick at an opposite angle, which during more strenuous passages, mainly alternate picking and tremolo picking, causing a good amount of stress from all the pressure being laid on my thumb.
Yeah, no.
Pick parallel to strings...however you accomplish it.

I hold the pick between thumb and 1st finger with my middle finger sticking out and the last two curled.
If it's angleg toward the bridge,I think that's right is'nt it?If i'm understanding you correctly.
Quote by EyeballPaul
If it's angleg toward the bridge,I think that's right is'nt it?If i'm understanding you correctly.

I think he meant that instead of angling it like
------
------ :Bridge:
-----\

He angled it like
------
-----/
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
Quote by Archer250
I think he meant that instead of angling it like
------
-----\

He angled it like
------
-----/

Yeah,I just picked my guitar up,Now i know what he means.What he does is actually harder to do.@OP Just curl up your index finger slightly inwards towards your hand.