Hello UG people,

I have heard there is a science behind the way your chain works in pedals. I mess with mine sometimes and was wondering if you guys have any suggestions. I have these pedals -
- Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
- Proco Rat ll (i couldn't really care less about that chip, so lets not go there
- Boss DD-7
- Line 6 Verbzilla
- BBE Soul Vibe

I've inherited a Boss Blues Driver, OS-2, and a DS-1 all dist. of which I'm not really into but the above pedals are on my board.

I play mainly jazz/fusion through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I do like to use the effects loop for the modulation pedals but any suggestions would be great, thanks gentlemen and any ladies out there
In my opinion, I'd run:

Guitar > Proco Rat II > Amp

Effects Loop:

Send > EB VP > Soul Vibe > DD-7 > Verbzilla > Return.

I like to run my volume pedal at the start of my loop so you can lower your volume completely via your volume pedal, but the delay and reverb will still trail off. Unsure about the Soul Vibe. Sorry.

If you did want to run all of your OD's/Distortion pedals at once, I'd go:

Guitar > Blues Driver > OS-2 > DS-1 > Proco Rat II > Amp. Lowest amount of gain to highest amount of gain.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by ian_schaid
Hello UG people,

I have heard there is a science behind the way your chain works in pedals. I mess with mine sometimes and was wondering if you guys have any suggestions. I have these pedals -
- Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
- Proco Rat ll (i couldn't really care less about that chip, so lets not go there
- Boss DD-7
- Line 6 Verbzilla
- BBE Soul Vibe

I've inherited a Boss Blues Driver, OS-2, and a DS-1 all dist. of which I'm not really into but the above pedals are on my board.

I play mainly jazz/fusion through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I do like to use the effects loop for the modulation pedals but any suggestions would be great, thanks gentlemen and any ladies out there

Maybe something like this:

Guitar > X > OS-2 > BD-2 > Rat > X > Amp > Effects Send > Soul Vibe > DD-7 > Verbzilla > Effects Return.

X would be your volume pedal. Pick whatever spot works best for you.
In the loop is a valid option as well.
I also left the DS-1 out. IMO, stock they aren't that great.
I would use the OS-2 as an overdrive to push the BD-2.

But you should also experiment.
What works for me or someone else, may not be the best solution for you.

I have a switch for my volume pedal that lets me set it up to use at the start of the chain or the end of it. Depends on the sound I am after at the moment.
thanks! I'll try these combonations (permutations really) and see what works best! Now could anyone explain why the order matters, obviously tone is diminished quite a bit when running through a large chain, but are there types of pedals that work well behind or in front?