Page 1 of 2
so, since the Who announced that whole new album and tour nonsense, that got me thinking: why is it so difficult for so many groups to just.... age gracefully. What I mean by that is adapting to age, slowing down (this is far from a bad thing. MOST bands should slow the **** down, even in their prime), altering what they do to fit a world that does not necessarily match the one they grew in.

We've got the who releasing a new album despite 50% of the band currently in their graves, the rolling stones still shambling through tours as if they were still 30, punk bands playing the exact same stuff they played when they started out with little to no change, old rappers living off their laurels (lookin' at you, Outkast, Nas, etc). Why does it need to be this way? In this thread, we post examples of artists aging gracefully, adapting to changing voices, new genres, etc, gracefully realizing they are no longer young men.

Soundgarden - Chris Cornell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8nkHrv_4Mg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJlWdxH5ppA

Cornell's voice has nowhere near the power or range it had when he was a young man. What it does have is a gravelly raspiness that it didn't have before, and he uses it well.

The Jam - Paul Weller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ipGhzrIi3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih4Zj-YNNvs

Slowed down, brought the rage down to a simmer, souled-up a bit

Dire Straits - Mark Knopfler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEl7devfqdc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsrKWwx3x7o

embraced the folk, completely changed styles.

go!
bottles breaking on my face are only your reminder of your love i lost a lifetime ago was i dreaming when i knew you i don't know so once again i swim in reverie without your love feels so long ago i cant remember now where we began

What if they still want to play music though? Why should they put your desires ahead of their own?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
What if they still want to play music though? Why should they put your desires ahead of their own?

you mean the Who? they absolutely should, daltrey and townshend are still incredible. however, calling themselves "The Who" is just.... somehow not right. there are plenty of bands around where only 1 member has remained constant, but those groups didn't spend 20-30 years together, only broken apart by the deaths of members.
Why do you want the Rolling Stones to stop playing music? I went to their concert a couple of weeks ago and it was fantastic. WHY DO YOU WANT TO DENY ME IMPORTANT EXPERIENCES
cat
I did and still do like Metallica's Load, as well as Pink Floyd's Division Bell. These were prejudged records by my estimation.
Quote by the bartender

That's 45 years later

years.

needs more phil spector production

I think Paul McCartney and Elton John really kept their voice up over the years. I think Anthony Kiedis did the opposite.
Quote by Rossenrot
I did and still do like Metallica's Load, as well as Pink Floyd's Division Bell. These were prejudged records by my estimation.

Load kicked ass. that there was an example of metallica aging gracefully. unfortunately, the metal community really doesn't like that shit, so we ended up with St. Anger and Death Magnetic (i personally think death magnetic is their worst album by a loooooong ways. I'll take St Anger any day.)

I personally believe if metallica kept going in the Load/Reload direction, they'd be way more relevant today.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
Load kicked ass. that there was an example of metallica aging gracefully. unfortunately, the metal community really doesn't like that shit, so we ended up with St. Anger and Death Magnetic (i personally think death magnetic is their worst album by a loooooong ways. I'll take St Anger any day.)

I personally believe if metallica kept going in the Load/Reload direction, they'd be way more relevant today.

You've been on this site since '09.... Maybe it's time for you to age gracefully and stop posting all this bullshit.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Yeah, a lot of artists just. Eugh...that said I saw Roger Waters in '07 and it was still a good show.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

Yeah, a lot of what they have done since has felt forced. It's hard for a lot of fans to understand that its okay for a person to be different at 50 than they were at 22. Close minded fans taint a lot of shit.

Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
You've been on this site since '09.... Maybe it's time for you to age gracefully and stop posting all this bullshit.

Wow how clever.
Quote by Rossenrot

Wow how clever.

thanks.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
I wasn't gonna comment on this thread, but then the OP including Mark Knopfler, who is a graceful, classy bastard. His style definitely changed a little, but it was always kinda mature. His solo stuff is just like the quieter, slower Dire Straits songs.

Sting has also matured as an artist. He went from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbv-LcdLY-Y

to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T0tJnaUhU8
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf

12ers, the worst generation UG has ever seen.

BjarnedeGraaf: A UGer too many?
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Apr 22, 2014,
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

12ers, the worst generation UG has ever seen.

BjarnedeGraaf: A UGer too many?

I was just going for #boty
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Look at Bruce Springsteen. Him and the E-Street band haven't slowed down one bit. They still play 3 hour concerts and they are just as good as they were 30 years ago. Amazing artists, and always incredible live
There's only one boss I listen to, and that's why I'm unemployed.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

This is pretty much what I think.
Rush still kicks ass, especially live. I can't think of any other acts off the top of my head who've been around that long and are still consistently amazing live.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Why exactly does a band have to fit your silly notions of "slowing down", TS?

cause change is good sometimes and it prevents stuff like this from being made

Quote by MinterMan22

That was a case of a reunion after a very long breakup period. Sabbath hadn't had Ozzy and the rest together since 1979. Of course it ended up being bad.

Also, a band doesn't have to slow down to change. Listen to the Converge example that blake posted. Definite change. No slowing down.
Quote by MinterMan22

I was actually going to cite this

the simple answer is because change is natural, people and artists change as they grow. keeping up the same thing for 40 years is totally fine, but majority of the time it just ends up sounding forced

and when did I say they had to "slow down". I said "slowing down" could be an example of aging gracefully, but this is not necessarily the case for everyone.
Quote by blake1221

man, Converge just owns
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
the simple answer is because change is natural, people and artists change as they grow. keeping up the same thing for 40 years is totally fine, but majority of the time it just ends up sounding forced

Change is good. It should be encouraged and embraced. Artists should experiment and push boundaries. (Unfortunately, a lot of artists listen to their fanbase's bitching too much and NEVER change, which is an issue.)

The problem is, artists shouldn't be forced to satisfy some arbitrary notion of "they're getting older; they should be doing X". Artists should do whatever they want to do. They shouldn't slow down or speed up, unless they want to do those things.
Quote by sickman411
I'm confused now, what do you mean by slowing down, Lt.?

I don't mean slowing down as in actually slowing down the tempo of the songs, lowering the key, or any of that stuff.

for the best example of what I mean, take a listen to the 2 soundgarden clips I posted. back in the golden days, chris cornell's voice was high flying and tremendously powerful, hence songs like pretty noose which have a "can barely hold onto the steering wheel" feeling. However, as Chris got older, his voice changed. its not the same as it was back in the day, its very gritty and raspy now, can't hit those same insane highs, and therefore the songs have changed and taken on a different character to better suit the type of singer he is now. he's "slowed down" in the sense that he's adapting to what his voice can do now that it COULDN'T do before (the grit and rasp), while also adapting to what it can't do now that it could before (ridiculous high notes). "mellowed out" might a better term to use.

mark knopfler's another example. not only did his voice change (he got better as a singer over the years, imo), but his style and preference for what he plays completely changed. its all just a process of getting older. I agree with a lot of the posts though that are saying if an artist doesn't want to change, they shouldn't have to. what they SHOULDN'T do is continue to do the same thing forever because they think that's what's expected of them (i.e Metallica. they were on the right path with Load, and then they went and listened to their fans to the point of self destruction)
In Flames and Machine Head are fine examples of aging gracefully.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
I think slowing down is the wrong term TS. But yes adapting your music to suit your capabilities as you get older should be the way musicians carry on, not trying to hold to the past.
Foo Fighters I think were able to age gracefully...I'm comparing The Colour and the Shape to Echoes. It didn't necessarily slow down, and was a very mature effort. I think even Wasting Light, which I saw as a throwback, was handled in a good way. Of course, it leaves me wondering about their upcoming album and idk i'll have to see.

Also, with recent performances, you can definitely tell Grohl is getting older and his voice is really starting to show strain and all that stuff, its a lot more obvious now. I wonder how much longer the foo's will keep going.
Quote by henrihell
In Flames and Machine Head are fine examples of aging gracefully.

I would say In Flames last album was a major step back.

Machine Head I agree with 100%; their records have become a lot more mature. I mean, their early stuff was basically riding the NuMetal trend, and their newer stuff is pretty solid Groove Metal with a bit of melodic flair.

I would say Lamb of God is similar to Machine Head, in that their records have become more mature the longer their career has gone.
Page 1 of 2