Looking for a 6 string with a 35" scale, a string through bridge construction (not through body) and neck through build. Around $400 used. I can find stuff with 2 of these but not all 3 yet.

I'm sure at this price point pickups won't be anything special or great, but if possible, I'm looking for something with a good djent and tech death sound (real middy and tight, more like a guitarish than real bassy).

The specs all amount to me attempting to tune it from E0 or F#0 to G (matching normal 8 string guitar tuning 1 octave down). I'm aware I'll need monster strings, so I'm looking for something that can accomodate that, which I've read most string through bodies can't do.

Things I've seen that might work but don't check all boxes:
Peavey Grind 6
Ibanez BTB406
Ibanez SR406 or SR506

A couple others I'm less sure about:
Dean Edge 6
Schecter Studio 6 (is this different than the Stiletto Studio 6?)
LTD D6 (I think this only has a 34" scale)

Unfortunately, all I've really been able to play so far is a higher end Ibanez SR (maybe a 706, don't remember), and that felt okayish. Hand started to cramp after a little while but it was fun to play.

So yeah, any thoughts?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Apr 22, 2014,
First: I know that $400 used can in fact go a long way, however I would urge you to consider maybe saving some more cash and expanding your budget a bit. Extended range basses are almost always more expensive than their 4 string counterparts and your options are fairly limited until you start spending big bucks on boutique equipment. Saving a little extra dough and spending a little extra time scouring classifieds and craigslist ads could make sure you end up with what you need instead of settling for something that doesn't tick enough of your boxes.

With that being said, also keep in mind that not all basses are created equal. Lots of people make the mistake of thinking "hey, I want to tune way down low. I must need a six string with the longest scale length I can find." There are 34" scale 4 strings that handle low tunings just fine, its all in the strings and the set up, so really think about how many strings you need, and if that 35" scale length is 100% necessary to you.

I'd suggest looking into used Carvins. Probably a little more expensive than you're current budget but you might be able to find just about every spec you're looking for. Another solid bet would be a Yamaha TRB. Discontinued so they're harder to find and heavy, but really solid basses and should serve your purposes.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
For a 35" scale neck-through sixgun, the $400.00 budget pretty much kills the deal. You can find something with those specs, to be sure, but you are almost certainly going to have to pay more than $400.00.

The Peavey Grind sixgun is an excellent bass. I think that one would best suit your specs. You might be able to find one used in your price range, but it could take some searching.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Is there a Grind besides the BXP that you're talking about?

And what's the feeling about the Ibanez BTB406QM? That is the one that's calling to me the most, aesthetically.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Is there a Grind besides the BXP that you're talking about?

No, the Grind is only a BXP (which denotes that it's made in Asia as opposed to Peaveys older MIA lines of basses).

The Peavey Cirrus 6 would probably be perfect for you but you'd have to save up at least another $400 or more to get one used.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
The Grind looks good. There's one for a good price on GC used right now. But it'll probably be gone by the time I get around to getting it.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
If you can find one, I highly recommend a Tune TWB-6 bass. Yes, it is a bolt-on neck, but it is one of the better sixguns on the market, and it can be found for very reasonable prices.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley