Hi there,

So I have only been playing for about 2-3 months, I'm not very good but I already hear how terrible my amp is. My guitar is an Artist STHPKBK (http://www.artistguitars.com.au/buy/artist-sthpkbk-electric-guitar-plus-amp-accessorie/11091)

The amp is the one in the pack.
I reckon the guitar is actually pretty decent but the amp falls really short and it just sounds off.

Should I get a new amp or guitar first?

If I were to buy an amp I would prefer it to be under $150
If I were to buy a guitar I would prefer it to be $400~

Thanks.
The best bang for your buck is going to be buying used. Look for a used Peavey Vypyr or a used Vox Valvetronix (VT) amp of some sort. If the amp came with the guitar, it probably isn;t spectacular.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
If you like the guitar, by any means keep that one!
In general I think it's best to get a new amp before unless you feel uncomfortable playing that guitar in particular because the amp is what makes the biggest difference in sound.

As for the budgets, I'd say a good beginner guitar will cost less than that, and a good beginner amp will cost more than that.
With that budget you can even get yourself a pretty good amp actually...

So, do you like how your guitar plays?
What kinda genres do you play?
Where do you live?
Are you willing to buy used stuff?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
sorry for the double post...

but yeah, if i were you... i'd actually wait it out... practice for a few more months.
coz by then you'll actually know how you play, what you play n etc.. and it'll become more clear what to get.

i remember a few months ago, i was actually about to 2 guitars... but a friend told me, one i practice more, i'll have a better idea of what i want. im really happy i didnt make the double purchase, coz now i know, what my limitations are on the rig i own and what to look for when i make future purchases... instead of spending money on stuff i dont need over stuff that would benefit my rig.
+1 for the vox vt and the sentiment that more money should be spent on amp then guitar.

Its probably a good idea to start with a modeling amp just cause there's a lot of tones to screw around with. You can find the general direction you wanna go with your playing. No sense in buying an hrd only to find out you prefer high gain.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Ahh right, I play mostly metal, heavy some grunge and even thrash. Not sure if it is my amp but I get this really loud buzzing noise if I use a single coil settings, although it seems to go down significantly if I use my humbucker.

I live in Sydney Aus. I am ok with a used amp.
Another question, should I get some active pickups?
Think about the word, "hum"-bucker. Single coils are noisy but sound more defined and articulate, generally speaking.
If I were you, I'd wait til I had more experience before choosing active pups.

You've got enough budget for a Tube Vyper 60. Thats the way you should go if you're into metal. Or 6505 but I would think the vyper would pull off a close 6505 considering.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Apr 22, 2014,
Metal?
Yeah get a vypyr tube 60 so you have all of the funny sounds plus the effects.
A 6505(+) on its own will sound good indeed but you have nowhere near as much possibilities with it.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
What! Vypyr 60s are like $800 in Australia, and about $400 used.

I am not prepared to spend so much money on an amp.

The cube seems to be pretty good, although its only a 5 watt amp.

I might get one of there: http://www.artistguitars.com.au/buy/dc15-15w-digital-guitar-amplifier-with-drum-machin/10991

It seems to be a pretty decent amp as shown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeMTBLz6TDw
Quote by alanw410

I might get one of there: http://www.artistguitars.com.au/buy/dc15-15w-digital-guitar-amplifier-with-drum-machin/10991

It seems to be a pretty decent amp as shown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeMTBLz6TDw

A. The Vypyr is TOTALLY worth it, even at those prices.

B. That amp is a waste of money.

But it's your choice. $400 isn't "so much money" for an amp. I have amps worth 6 times that, and others here have amps worth 3 times as much as mine...

The Vypyr 60 is the best metal/grunge/thrash modeling amp available at that price range, bar none.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Yeah dude, there isn't much point buying a new amp if you aren't willing to look into a higher price bracket. You have to spend a bit to get a significant upgrade.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Yeah dude, there isn't much point buying a new amp if you aren't willing to look into a higher price bracket. You have to spend a bit to get a significant upgrade.

My current amp actually sounds like shit, think about a practice amp, then think about one that only has a single distortion setting, then think about it being a cheap chinese make.

The clean sounds ok tho, maybe I should get a modelling pedal.
Well if you are adamant about not wanting to spend that much, I'd look into the biggest Vypyr you can get for your budget. They are excellent for heavy music. The Vox Valvetronix series is also pretty good, though I don't think it excels quite like the Vypyr for heavier tones.

The Vypyr Tube really is superior though, it is suitable not only as a practice amp but as a giggable rig. If you are satisfied with how the guitar plays, you really would get more benefit (sound wise) from a great amp.
Quote by alanw410

Dont buy that amp.

http://music.bqturner.com/ProductDetail_i744322

You have no excuse at this price.
No Joyo please. It's just nasty and hurts my ears.
1. Roland Cube series yes- very musical, low price
2. Fender Mustang maybe also- good digital modeling
3. Vox Valvetronix- decent modeling with cheap amp and speakers

All can be found used for $150 and will sound WAY better than what you have now.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
No Joyo please. It's just nasty and hurts my ears.
1. Roland Cube series yes- very musical, low price
2. Fender Mustang maybe also- good digital modeling
3. Vox Valvetronix- decent modeling with cheap amp and speakers

All can be found used for $150 and will sound WAY better than what you have now.

i think he is in aussie. their prices are totally different than the US. some brands not so bad, some worse.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by alanw410

Didn't you say your budget was $400 for the amp in your first post?

Anyway, I wouldn't say the valvetronix is worse than the vypyr.
The latter does metal way better, but the first sounds better clean and semi clean imo.
So, since you wrote you mostly play metal I'd get the latter.

Also, getting a modeling pedal wouldn't really solve the problem.
See, your amp doesn't sound bad solely because the amplifier part sounds bad but also because the material of which it's made is cheap, and the speaker they put in it even cheaper.
Even a VH4 would sound muddy through that speaker.

If ya like nice stuff anyway, ya gotta pay it.
There are some companies that do really good stuff on the cheap, but really good stuff on the cheap will not really be versatile.
Take the Blackheart BH5H for example: it IS cheap indeed, something like $150 new.
Amazing right? Well yeah, if you don't care about an almost worthless tone stack, no master volume, no effects whatsoever, 5 watts of power, and the cheapest stock tubes ever.
To some, it's a dream amp: it's hella simple and it sound good.
To some, it's a nightmare amp: you can't even get a rock-worthy distortion without tearing the paint off of the walls.

So, you want versatile stuff?
Well ya gotta pay for it.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
Didn't you say your budget was $400 for the amp in your first post?

Anyway, I wouldn't say the valvetronix is worse than the vypyr.
The latter does metal way better, but the first sounds better clean and semi clean imo.
So, since you wrote you mostly play metal I'd get the latter.

Also, getting a modeling pedal wouldn't really solve the problem.
See, your amp doesn't sound bad solely because the amplifier part sounds bad but also because the material of which it's made is cheap, and the speaker they put in it even cheaper.
Even a VH4 would sound muddy through that speaker.

If ya like nice stuff anyway, ya gotta pay it.
There are some companies that do really good stuff on the cheap, but really good stuff on the cheap will not really be versatile.
Take the Blackheart BH5H for example: it IS cheap indeed, something like $150 new.
Amazing right? Well yeah, if you don't care about an almost worthless tone stack, no master volume, no effects whatsoever, 5 watts of power, and the cheapest stock tubes ever.
To some, it's a dream amp: it's hella simple and it sound good.
To some, it's a nightmare amp: you can't even get a rock-worthy distortion without tearing the paint off of the walls.

So, you want versatile stuff?
Well ya gotta pay for it.

Budget is actually just $150, because I don't know if the problem is with my guitar or amp (maybe both)

I'll see if I can maybe get a Vypyr 30 or VIP 1, ill have to see.
A sound problem is almost always rectified with a better amp. Guitars contribute much less to the sound compared to the amp in any given rig. If you are having a problem with the sound, you need to focus on that element. If you just want a nicer guitar then get one by all means, but I'm just sharing my experience and the experience of many members here.
^ up for that.
Like, a lot.

A squier through a VH4 sounds much better than a custom shop tele into an MG.

Also if you're unsure, just go into a music shop with your guitar and amp, try some good amps with your guitar, then try some good guitars with your amp and see what you like better.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
For me, Just choose Ibanez TBX30R Tone Blaster, this is the best amp i've ever tested. Low price but sounds badass, strong Volume, Good design and nice features. so if you want a pretty decent amp this is a good choice.

Have a nice day Dude!

Last edited by gothfayeri at May 7, 2014,