I want to get he classic 80s Thrash sound and don't know what overdrive pedal I should be looking for. I currently have an Ashton Viper 30 watt valve amp. They are an amp made for the Australian market and are essentially a poor man's JCM800.

I've been looking at either a Tubescreamer or Boss SD-1 but am open to other opinions.
Bad Monkey, if you want to go cheap. I grabbed one off ebay for $40.
They're basically a tubescreamer with a bass control.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Either that or the GFS greenie which is 3 tube screamer circuits in 1 pedal, for $50.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Is the ProCO Rat still any good? It's been years since I've seen one. Hetfield used one of them pretty much up until Puppets.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I like my Rat, and though I don't actually play thrash it does seem like it would do that tone well.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Witt1975
I used to love my Boss MT-1, some great metal distortion there...

I use to love my metal zone too. Then one day I accidently stepped on it and this horrifying noise came out of it so I immediately got rid of it.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
personally i think i'd prefer an sd1 to a ts as it's a little bit edgier/fizzier in the highs
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Witt1975
I used to love my Boss MT-1, some great metal distortion there...

Metal Zone pedals really aren't good compared to other brands.

I'm gonna also recommend the TS-9 or 808. You could probably get an 808 cheaper on eBay, if you're willing to buy used.
I actually do have a Rat (it's a copy I put together myself, made to the exact specs of the original one). I did find it to have too much gain to be used as an overdrive and while it sounded good into a clean amp it was more of a traditional distortion pedal sound whereas I want to push an amp that is already overdriven.

Is this going to be the same story with a SD-1 or TS9?
No. The are very light in gain. Though there is some clipping even with the gain knob turned all the way off (which is the common way to have it when overdriving already distorting amp) its so little that it adds to the sound, not oversaturate it.

I have read that Rat has been used as a boost with gain turned almost off (just a nudge that it actually does something) and volume really high, play with the filter knob. How good it actually is I cant say myself, (I only have a Rat in my Line6 Pod, not the same thing when used as a boost) it could be good or it just could have been used because they had nothing else at the time... But try it out, gain almost off, volume high and filter to taste.

Tubescreamer/Bad Monkey/whateverTSclone is a tried and true, it gives a nice and tight midrange crunch that works well with Thrash. Boss SD-1 is based on TS but its grittier. Also used a lot. Try both if you can.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I'll try that with my Rat, thanks for the advice. A TS but grittier sounds pretty good to me, I'll give em all a try.
^ yeah that's why i was thinking the sd1 might be better, the ts might be a little smooth for thrash (though with g12t75 speakers it might well be fine and the sd1 might be too fizzy it just depends on the entire rig).

if my mooer rat clone is anything to go by the rat should work as a boost, too. i prefer a ts or sd1, but the rat can have its distortion dialled low enough to function as an overdrive/boost as well. just turn the distortion control way down (below 9 o'clock) and see what you think of the sound when you use it as a boost.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have been pretty satisfied with the tones coming out of my Metal Muff. I think it's a bit pricier than the pedals you mentioned, however.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
So just as an update, I've been messing around with my settings and have found something I really like. I've set the Rat like I was told but I found that with the amp's gain on 100% it just sounded kinda messy. However with the amp's gain at around 85% I'm getting more gain than I would have at 100% without the pedal and it sounds awesome. So this is the setup I'll be sticking with
Heh, I guess thats something we forgot to mention. When you use a boost you need to turn the gain down in the amp because the result is a noisy mush otherwise. The point of overdriving is you can turn the gain down on the amp and then push the front end harder (and with colored signal. Pure clean boost turns to garbage noise easily) resulting in tighter sound. So dont be afraid to turn the gain on amp even lower and maxing out the volume on the pedal for maximum boost and possibly bit different sound. Experiment!

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
^ yeah sorry i forgot to mention that too glad you got it sorted (with no help from us )
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I really have a hard time justifying the price of an actual TS9/808 when there are so many better variants out there for so much less. The tubescreamer is perhaps the most cloned pedal out there and it's a pretty simple circuit. There's nothing magical about the actual Ibanez ones, they just did it first.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you're looking cheap, the Bad Monkey Distortion by Digitech.

However, I think the best high gain pedal out there is the Wampler Triple Wreck.