Hey guys.
I've recently listened to a lot of "Circle Of Illusion", which is a progressive metal band. They incorporate a lot of genres in their music, and I'm really enjoying the diversity.
I thought I'd look more into the genres themselves outside of the progressive context.
Listen to these examples:
http://youtu.be/21OxRalCHvk?t=43s
Okay. So apparently the site does not like specific times.
Check 0:43

and

http://youtu.be/21OxRalCHvk?t=2m7s
Check 2:07

They both sound a lot of like some of the old Mario Kart 64 themes.
I believe it's some kind of fusion/jazz, and would really want to explore that genre more.
Can you recommend any bands or artists with a similar vibe/sound?
If you know of other progressive bands that has a similar sound thats fine as well, but I probably already know them
Another similar example would be the piano solo from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko0kdCf0zTE
At 2:10!
Or generally the Dirty Loop arrangements really

Cheers
Last edited by KrisHQ at Apr 22, 2014,
I guess you would like to investigate some contemporary jazz, smooth jazz and fusion then, judging from your examples.

Since jazz and fusion are such broad styles there are tons of artists to look into, but the ones that i personally think fits your description are these: Jeff Lorber, Jeff Lorber Fusion, Herbie Hancock (you´ll have to dig abit on this one, since he has done everything from straight ahead jazz to synth based stuff to R&B etc), John Coleman, Michael Silverman, Fourplay, Yellowjackets, George Duke, Larry Carlton and David Benoit.

This is all more on the smooth jazz side though, since that is more what the first two clips are highlighting. However, since you said you want to explore the genre more, if you´d like i could send you a PM with a more conclusive list of fusion musicians, jazz musicians etc. I have done this for a lot of other people on this side that have wanted to get into jazz and fusion or expand their repertoire, however that list will include many styles of jazz, fusion and other things, so you might not enjoy all of it. Just an offer.

Hope that helped you! I think Jeff Lorber is something you´ll dig, he is the closest thing to that style that i frequently listen to. Especially check out "Now is the time" and "Galaxy" records.

Best Regards,
Sickz
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Awesome. I'm already digging some of these artists.
The piano solo from Rain Dance by Jeff Lorber is so smooth.
Yellowjackets also sound very promising.
Thanks.

I really like this one with Herbie Hancock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNRqs5jGr7k
It's just a cover, but any idea what album the original song is called/from?
Last edited by KrisHQ at Apr 22, 2014,
^^ no idea but i think the moral from that clip (alex hutchings) is to never start playing a 9 minute jazz fusion piece when you're dying for a piss

(seriously though i liked that too)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^^ no idea but i think the moral from that clip (alex hutchings) is to never start playing a 9 minute jazz fusion piece when you're dying for a piss

(seriously though i liked that too)

To be fair, Alex is always dying for a piss.
Great player though, defiantly one of my favorite players. (Granted, i have many)
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."