Page 1 of 5
Since I want to start gigging, I need a powerful amp. 100w seems to be great! However I play Ozzy/Sabbath, Maiden and Judas Priest. Is this amp is gonna cut it?
I've read some reviews online saying this amp's reverb sucks but that's okay since I like my tone to be very dry. Also, I've read that this amp is not made for metal. I mean Sabbath is as metal as it gets for me, I also really dig Randy Rhoads' and Jake E. Lee's tone. Do you think that this amp will suit my needs? Will a distortion pedal make it more suitable for metal? What about the durability? Please let me know your opinion (and experience, if you have had it of course) about this amp.
No do not get that amp, it is a pretty bad amp, but it is horrible for what you play.

Give us:
budget?
location?
are you OK with used?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have played through one.
It didn't even sound bad to me, but you can get better stuff for the money, so answer Robb's (or is it Rob with only one b?) questions so we can give you valid suggestions.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Robbgnarly
No do not get that amp, it is a pretty bad amp, but it is horrible for what you play.

Give us:
budget?
location?
are you OK with used?

1. 160 US Dollars (converted from Macedonian Denars)

2. Macedonia (I doubt you can find it on the globe), south Europe, not much choice over here.

3. Yes. I want to buy used Fender Frontman 212R, or any kind of used amp I don't mind scratches or anything, as long as it sounds good.
Last edited by StefanWylde at Apr 22, 2014,
Unless you wanted the thing now for some reason, I'd wait.
$160 aren't really gonna get you anywhere good...
I mean you could get a roland cube for that money, but it wouldn't really be that much of an improvement from whatever you may own at the moment.

So, I'd save up and get something like a used bugera v22 or a jet city 20w combo.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I use to have a ss Princeton Chorus (pre frontman frontman) that sounded pretty good but just plain awful for metal, even 70s metal. If I were you I'd look for one of those old peavey ss metal amps or apparently Randall makes some good but cheap ss metal amps. Maybe a vyper? The Frontman would be about the last amp I would think of for metal. Thats just silly (unless it works)... (I dont think it'll work)
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Spambot_2
Unless you wanted the thing now for some reason, I'd wait.
$160 aren't really gonna get you anywhere good...
I mean you could get a roland cube for that money, but it wouldn't really be that much of an improvement from whatever you may own at the moment.

So, I'd save up and get something like a used bugera v22 or a jet city 20w combo.

Right now I'm playing through Guitar Rig 5 and the latency is getting on my nerves. I can't play Bark at the Moon properly.

Here's the thing, 160 $ is as good as it gets. I'm 17, I don't have much money, and I'm desperate to play in front of people and show my stage movements which I've been practicing in my room for about 6 months now. (as silly and stupid as this sounds)
I used to have Laney Linebacker 30, which was a very old amp, from 1990, older than me. I liked that amp I believe it was powerful enough for a small club for 200-300 people, but then there was a moment of weakness when I thought I'd never get to play live and I sold it for 90 USD and I deeply regret that.
Macedonia is between Serbia and Greece, and water polo is a very popular sport in that region.

I am a certified Fender fanboy and live about 20 minutes from the factory in Corona. Unfortunately I would be completely unable to get decent Sabbath tone from a Fender Frontman. Sorry, wrong tool for the job. It is one of the few amps I almost never recommend. You would be better served by an Orange Tiny Terror or a Jet City 20w amp. These are real tube amps with exactly the heavy British tone you seek.

Completely ignore wattage ratings and choose an amp that delivers the sound you want first. A Roland Cube 40 also has decent British tone in a solid state package that is less $$. Good luck!
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Macedonia is between Serbia and Greece, and water polo is a very popular sport in that region.

I am a certified Fender fanboy and live about 20 minutes from the factory in Corona. Unfortunately I would be completely unable to get decent Sabbath tone from a Fender Frontman. Sorry, wrong tool for the job. It is one of the few amps I almost never recommend. You would be better served by an Orange Tiny Terror or a Jet City 20w amp. These are real tube amps with exactly the heavy British tone you seek.

Completely ignore wattage ratings and choose an amp that delivers the sound you want first. A Roland Cube 40 also has decent British tone in a solid state package that is less $$. Good luck!

So you do know how to use Google
Waterpolo is a popular sport in the other neighbor countries yes, but in Macedonia not. Anyways let's not argue about this and put it behind us.

I really need the wattage man... The amps you recommend are very small and I doubt they will suit me for clubs and stuff... At home, I usually practice with my electric guitar unplugged, or through Guitar Rig which gets on my nerves easily.
So, how about an old Laney model or something? How much is Laney HC50R worth to you?
Quote by StefanWylde
So you do know how to use Google
Waterpolo is a popular sport in the other neighbor countries yes, but in Macedonia not. Anyways let's not argue about this and put it behind us.

I really need the wattage man... The amps you recommend are very small and I doubt they will suit me for clubs and stuff... At home, I usually practice with my electric guitar unplugged, or through Guitar Rig which gets on my nerves easily.
So, how about an old Laney model or something? How much is Laney HC50R worth to you?

If the amps are miced during gigs, you'll be fine.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Laney might work for you or a Vox AC30 with a heavy pedal in front. Remember that wattage sells amps but great guitar tone sells records. After playing over 1000 gigs throughout the southwest USA I would say that watts are overrated. I regularly play to audiences up to 300 with only 15-30 watts. If they mic the drums, they mic my amp for larger shows. Even Eddie Van Halen used to have to dim the wattage on his Marshall 100w because it was simply too loud for most Hollywood clubs. Choose wisely.

Interesting that WP is not popular in Macedonia. I learned something today. My daughter played 2 years professionally in Europe with tournaments in Greece, Serbia, and Hungary. They played to large crowds and were treated like rock stars there.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Quote by StefanWylde
Right now I'm playing through Guitar Rig 5 and the latency is getting on my nerves. I can't play Bark at the Moon properly.

Here's the thing, 160 $ is as good as it gets. I'm 17, I don't have much money, and I'm desperate to play in front of people and show my stage movements which I've been practicing in my room for about 6 months now. (as silly and stupid as this sounds)
I used to have Laney Linebacker 30, which was a very old amp, from 1990, older than me. I liked that amp I believe it was powerful enough for a small club for 200-300 people, but then there was a moment of weakness when I thought I'd never get to play live and I sold it for 90 USD and I deeply regret that.
Find yourself a lighter program to run and stick to that for now.

I am 17 myself and I've collected about $1000 worth in equipment, so I wouldn't use that as an excuse :P

Anyway for a club of 300 people, not 30w nor 100w will make you heard.
It's not like people on big stages use 100w amps and lotsa cabs because they really need it as much as for aesthetic purpose.
There are PA systems to make you heard.
If you use a big amp, even a 100w full stack, you'll deaf the first 2 rows, you'll be heard by the 3 following rows, and behind them they'll hear "stuff".
Pretty unintelligible stuff.
Hence, people use PA systems unless they're playing in really small places, and some use them even when playing in small places.

So stop looking at amps for their power because it doesn't really matter for what you want.
If you really wanna spend some money find a used pod x3 or pod hd and run that through the PA at the place, and if the place doesn't have a PA stop thinking that you'll be able to play on that stage and sound good to everyone in the room.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I don't know what's up with the hate with Fender Frontman 212R, they are good as long as you aren't depending on the amp for metal-level distortion - use a distortion pedal with a good EQ on it and you should be fine, in my opinion. You will be really dependent on pedals to get whatever various tones you may need. The amp's strength is the clean tone which you can put pedals in front of to get pretty much anything with the right pedals.
Quote by Spambot_2
Find yourself a lighter program to run and stick to that for now.

I am 17 myself and I've collected about $1000 worth in equipment, so I wouldn't use that as an excuse :P

Anyway for a club of 300 people, not 30w nor 100w will make you heard.
It's not like people on big stages use 100w amps and lotsa cabs because they really need it as much as for aesthetic purpose.
There are PA systems to make you heard.
If you use a big amp, even a 100w full stack, you'll deaf the first 2 rows, you'll be heard by the 3 following rows, and behind them they'll hear "stuff".
Pretty unintelligible stuff.
Hence, people use PA systems unless they're playing in really small places, and some use them even when playing in small places.

So stop looking at amps for their power because it doesn't really matter for what you want.
If you really wanna spend some money find a used pod x3 or pod hd and run that through the PA at the place, and if the place doesn't have a PA stop thinking that you'll be able to play on that stage and sound good to everyone in the room.

My guitar is worth 100 $ so... I can use the poor economic situation in my country as an excuse.
What about the Fender Mustang? Is that a good amp?
Quote by katalyzt13
I don't know what's up with the hate with Fender Frontman 212R, they are good as long as you aren't depending on the amp for metal-level distortion - use a distortion pedal with a good EQ on it and you should be fine, in my opinion. You will be really dependent on pedals to get whatever various tones you may need. The amp's strength is the clean tone which you can put pedals in front of to get pretty much anything with the right pedals.

Ever tried putting a heavy OD pedal into a Frontman? It just sounds awful. Really awful. I am sure someone somewhere can get decent OD tone from a Frontman but I sure never could. Same with a Line 6 Spider. They just got it wrong somehow.

OP: A Fender Mustang is better. Much better.

Still wouldn't get you to these tones, but it's a better amp indeed.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
What is your budget in Euro's?

www.thomann.de has some really good deals on jet City amps
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The Frontman is one of the few amps that is actually worse than an MG.

Jet City is a good recommendation but what you really need is more money. Don't worry so much about the volume - that's what the PA is there for. Just shove a mic in front of the amp and you're set.

Realistically, you're probably best to go for the best Vyper you can lay your hands on. Bigger is not always better with the Vyper. The 60W and 120W ones are the best but they cost more than the standard solid state Vypers. Of the SS ones, bigger is better.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
What about Randall RG75DG3?
I can get it for 275 USD/ 200 euro, with footswitch, it's been used for 3 years?

To me this amp has a very aggressive look which I like a lot and it seems pretty damn strong
Last edited by StefanWylde at Apr 23, 2014,
Quote by StefanWylde
it seems pretty damn strong
What, you want something that looks loud or something that sounds good?

If you're willing to spend €200, save up a bit more and get a jet city 22w combo, that'll sound soooooo much better.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
What, you want something that looks loud or something that sounds good?

If you're willing to spend €200, save up a bit more and get a jet city 22w combo, that'll sound soooooo much better.

I don't think I can find a Jet City 22W combo in my country. Bugera neither.
Quote by StefanWylde
I don't think I can find a Jet City 22W combo in my country. Bugera neither.

You need to order off of www.thomann.de and you can get them
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by StefanWylde
I don't think I can find a Jet City 20W combo in my country. Bugera neither.
20w combo, sorry, the 22 in the name (which means 20w and 2 channels) is somehow misleading :P

If you can, a used jet city would be ideal.
I mean with €200 you can't really get that much good amps, and I can't think of any combo between them, so you either get something that doesn't sound really good, the randall RG75 for example, or you wait a bit more and you get something that sound good, like the jet city.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
20w combo, sorry, the 22 in the name (which means 20w and 2 channels) is somehow misleading :P

If you can, a used jet city would be ideal.
I mean with €200 you can't really get that much good amps, and I can't think of any combo between them, so you either get something that doesn't sound really good, the randall RG75 for example, or you wait a bit more and you get something that sound good, like the jet city.

I haven't seen a guy with Jet City in my country yet, I don't think I'm gonna find one in the stores either..
Quote by StefanWylde
I haven't seen a guy with Jet City in my country yet, I don't think I'm gonna find one in the stores either..

Thomann is one of the only Jet City dealers in Europe I have heard about. There is a UK dealer also, but Thomann will ship to any European country. They run €259 for a B-stock, I would really save a few more bucks and wait. www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca2212_guitar_combo_b_stock.htm
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Are solid state amps that bad? Particularly this Randall model? I mean I read about that Jet City amp and people say the tubes are bad and need to be replaced for better sound. I REALLY don't want to be spending extra money. Also the Randall amp has line out which is going to be very useful for my as I record myself on the computer about twice a week.
Quote by StefanWylde
Are solid state amps that bad? Particularly this Randall model? I mean I read about that Jet City amp and people say the tubes are bad and need to be replaced for better sound. I REALLY don't want to be spending extra money. Also the Randall amp has line out which is going to be very useful for my as I record myself on the computer about twice a week.

It is your money, get what you want. I'm just trying to save you the aggravation of wanting a new amp in 9 months because the Randall has lost its luster and you want/need a different amp.

Yes the Jet City gets better with a tube swap, but it sounds pretty damn good out of the box. I have been playing live for 15 yrs and I would have no problems using a stock Jet City for the styles you want to do.

Not all SS amps are bad, but most are.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
It is your money, get what you want. I'm just trying to save you the aggravation of wanting a new amp in 9 months because the Randall has lost its luster and you want/need a different amp.

Yes the Jet City gets better with a tube swap, but it sounds pretty damn good out of the box. I have been playing live for 15 yrs and I would have no problems using a stock Jet City for the styles you want to do.

Not all SS amps are bad, but most are.

And thank you for that. I'm just trying to learn more about amps and find the CORE of the reason why should I buy "this" and not "that" amp. I don't want to buy something just because some guy on the internet told me to do that. (Don't take me wrong you have nothing to do with this you seem like an experienced guy, I just want to know more) I believe you can understand me.
Last edited by StefanWylde at Apr 23, 2014,
Quote by StefanWylde
And thank you for that. I'm just trying to learn more about amps and find the CORE of the reason why should I buy "this" and not "that" amp. I don't want to buy something just because some guy on the internet told me to do that. (Don't take me wrong you have nothing to do with this you seem like an experienced guy, I just want to know more) I believe you can understand me.

No problems I understand 100%. I have bought several amps blind with internet help 3 have been awesome one was so-so

Go to a local music store and try out everything in and a little above your price range then make a decision based on that. Buying music gear blind is a gamble because everyone is different. Thomann does have a good return/warranty program.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask the forum any questions about any amps/gear.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Apr 23, 2014,
^^ well the core it's a matter of preference.
If you like a randall RG75 better than a jet city JCA2212, by any means get the randall.
Thing is, though things are subjective, there are a set of tastes that are pretty common in different people because of what is common or popular.
That leads to some amps being regarded as better sounding than others.

I don't mean the preference lies in particular amps though, but in particular sounds, and there are amps that recreate that particular sound better or come closer to it than others, and there are amps that are considered bad sounding because they lack the ability of recreating these commonly accepted as "good sounding" tones.

It's not like the jet city would be better because it sounds better, there is no better here, but it would be better because it would come (waaaaay) closer than the randall to recreating those tones you're after.
It'll sound more organic and the distortion will be smoother.

There are things I wouldn't buy without trying them first, but guitar amps don't fall in this category: amps are "supposed" to sound in a certain way, and it doesn't really take to listen to them and play through them to know if they get close to sounding like something else.
You can read it on the internet, and the with a lot of opinion coming from different people, the thing IS effective if ya ask me.

So, as already said, it's your money and you're free to do what you want with it, and we think that saving up for a jet city, considering what you want to play, will be well worth the wait.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Not all SS (guitar) amps are bad, but most are.
And I can't think of any good guitar solid state amp in your price range.

Plus it's not like the line out from the amp will really sound good either...

Edit: **** robb you ninja'd me again :P
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
The only reason to buy a Randall RG is if you specifically want that harsh, brittle sounding Pantera-like sound. For anything else they are pretty shitty.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The only reason to buy a Randall RG is if you specifically want that harsh, brittle sounding Pantera-like sound. For anything else they are pretty shitty.

Oh I hate Pantera and their sound.
However, the availability, the price and the looks of the Randall amp really makes me want to buy it. I'll be patient for like another month and see if anything else comes up. Your suggestions are welcome.

Thank you for your help everybody.
imo even the tube H&K aren't better than that randall we've been talking about.
They just have that sound that I can't happen to like...

The sound probably isn't great anyway.
I mean I've never heard about it but there's probably a reason for that.
The "save up for a genuinely good amp instead of buying something you'll regret in 6 months just because you wanna buy something" applies to this amp too, just looking at it.

Though don't quote me on that, this may be the best sounding H&K ever and I wouldn't know that.

Still though it's a solid state amp rated at 30w, and it'll not be THAT loud you know, so I wouldn't get it for the sake of power or volume either.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
^ I agree with Spambot it probably won't cut it in a band setting

But go try the amp out, you may like it. You have to be the deciding factor in getting your amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
For bedroom practice it might be good, but it will be awful for live use and not have the best sound overall (digital, cold, harsh).
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Which H&K? Their amps vary a lot. Some are a lot better than others.

The SS Randalls are the sort of amp that you initially think, "hey, this doesn't sound too bad." Then after a few months you just want to kick it out of a moving truck.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by StefanWylde
What about Line6 Spider IV 30, is it a good amp?

Short answer no.

Long answer. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Longer answer; No, because they sound really digital and harsh, especially when turned up at gig levels. I know, I have to mix them on a REGULAR basis.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Page 1 of 5