Hey guys, I'm trying to get the best possible sound for the lowest cost. Currently running a Les Paul/Martin through a MG30DFX, and into my computer. I heard that you can just EQ all the horrible sound out, so the end result sounds like it was recorded through an interface/actual setup?

What is the cheapest way to get close to studio quality sound? I am recording for recreation so it doesn't have to be absolutely perfect. Are there any really cheap interfaces out there that work nice?
You won't get anywhere near a studio sound with an MG... sorry.

I won't ask how exactly you are connecting your amp to the computer, but I will say getting an interface and putting a mic in front of the amp won't hide the fact that it sounds crap. You can get plugins for free that will sound infinitely better than the MG. Google LePou plugins and thank me later.

EDIT: Although you will need a cheap interface in order to use these plugins, as you need a DI guitar signal to be processed.
MG's have a headphones output, he's probably going from that to the line or mic input.

Quote by The Bacon Man
I heard that you can just EQ all the horrible sound out, so the end result sounds like it was recorded through an interface/actual setup?
Well it's not that easy but you can make it better even with simple stuff.
I don't really understand the stuff after the comma though - what sounds do you have in mind?
Quote by The Bacon Man
What is the cheapest way to get close to studio quality sound? I am recording for recreation so it doesn't have to be absolutely perfect. Are there any really cheap interfaces out there that work nice?
Going into a studio and recording the stuff you need to record.
Usable stuff is cheap but even half decent stuff is not that cheap.

An interface is always needed if you wanna record stuff.
A sound card is an audio interface, an external audio interface is an audio interface...
Everything that converts your sound from digital to analog and/or vice versa is an audio interface.
What you need though is not only an audio interface, but an audio interface that works with guitars, so find yourself a guitar link on whatever online shop.

Then find yourself an amp simulator and **** the amp, it'd be hard an expensive to record and it sounds bad anyway so there'd be no real point in that.
Then learn stuff about mixing and DAWs and record yourself and mix your music.

Have fun!

And if you have doubts about interfaces and amp simulators and how to use them and stuff, read the stickies in this section.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Thanks guys, so basically what you are recommending is to run the setup like this:

Guitar-->Interface-->Computer-->Amp Simulator, and from there I can record/edit? I'm reading the stickies and stuff but I'm just not sure if ^^^ is the correct way to do it. I don't have monitors, but I have a pair of ATH-M50s which should do the trick (being they have a flat response)

I'm currently running it like this:
Guitar-->Amp-->Computer (via amp headphone out and computer line in). Is there anyway, through amp sims and whatnot to get a decent sound out of this until I get an interface?
Last edited by The Bacon Man at Apr 22, 2014,
Quote by The Bacon Man
I'm currently running it like this:
Guitar-->Amp-->Computer (via amp headphone out and computer line in). Is there anyway, through amp sims and whatnot to get a decent sound out of this until I get an interface?

To be brutally honest, no. It will always be thin, or have artifacts/excess noise, or some other issue. A guitar link can be had on eBay for $10 and is actually pretty damn good for the price. As for your headphones they're more than enough, I don't even have stuff that good and I get by.
I have no experience with the "guitar link", but all of the interfaces I've ever seen/used under $100 were completely worthless. My friend got a Lightsnake cable, and not only was the lag horrendous, but it also shorted badly. The sound through it was also pretty terrible.

Honestly, to me the situation is "Buy it nice, or buy it twice."
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

^ That's because most cheap interfaces pretend to be expensive interfaces, so they have a lot of inputs and outputs and knobs and buttons and stuff, resulting in an overall bad quality.
The guitar link works good enough for a guitar though.

Until you get a proper interface TS, the thing will not sound even close to good.
Just go on ebay and search "guitar link", there's a shit ton of stuff for less than $10 for you to get.
And yeah your headphones will do just fine.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Thanks guys, I'll pick up one of these : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Guitar-to-USB-Interface-Link-Audio-Cable-Music-Recording-Adapter-For-PC-/141134317426?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item20dc42c772

Would something like this be worth the extra cost until I can afford a $100+ interface?
http://www.amazon.com/Lexicon-Alpha-Desktop-Recording-Studio/dp/B000HVXMNE

Again, I'm just recording as a hobby/for fun so perfect sound isn't a need, just a want.
Quote by The Bacon Man

Would something like this be worth the extra cost until I can afford a $100+ interface?
http://www.amazon.com/Lexicon-Alpha-Desktop-Recording-Studio/dp/B000HVXMNE

No. Not really. Just save up for a Focusrite Sapphire 2i4 (don't bother with the 2i2) or a similar quality interface.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

No. Not really. Just save up for a Focusrite Sapphire 2i4 (don't bother with the 2i2) or a similar quality interface.

Alright sounds good man! Thanks again everyone.
The Lexicon can do 24/48 and the guitar link is 16/44 if not mistaken, so you'll have a little bump in headroom esoecially. Probably no huge difference in audio quality but I am willing to bet that the Alpha sounds 10% better
I think also Lexicon throw in a few plugins as well, their reverb as vst is really good so it might be a plus.
Monitor mix is also a plus when you have to increase the buffer size in order to mix with more fx.
Last edited by diabolical at Apr 23, 2014,
The lexicon isn't worth the money, stick to the guitar link and get an onyx blackjack or an audiobox 22vsl or a 2i4 or whatever other good small interface you happen to like.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola