Page 1 of 2
Okay, I'm looking for a tube amp. Tell me the best head and cabinet for a loud, aggressive, extreme gain, bassy tone amp from HELL! Also a head in the three digits under $700 would be nice. I'm thinking a Mesa Triple Rectifier but I want brutal bass tones and a gain level that will kill.
I've owned 5150's and Triple recs I prefer Marshalls over all of them. JCM2000 or if you want to cheap out get a valvestate 8100. Honestly though if you go any of the recommended routes you're going to sound cliche so try a bunch of different ones and just find one you like. **** what anyone thinks about it.
Last edited by BL1NDSIDE-J at Apr 22, 2014,
honest response though, I just wanna say 6505's and 5150's sound like a man drowning in a sea of giant cocks
I saw Gorguts live not too long ago and Luc was using a 5150. Sounded ****ing great too. I think they're decent amps if you dial back the gain.
Quote by Born Headless
I saw Gorguts live not too long ago and Luc was using a 5150. Sounded ****ing great too. I think they're decent amps if you dial back the gain.

what the **** seriously? Maybe there is some secret voodoo magic Luc is doing that I am not aware of, but EVERY SINGLE TIME I've heard a 6505 or a 5150 it sounded like ass.
Quote by Ironic Maiden
what the **** seriously? Maybe there is some secret voodoo magic Luc is doing that I am not aware, but EVERY SINGLE TIME I've heard a 6505 or a 5150 it sounded like ass.
Did you EQ them incorrectly? What about the presence? Etc.
Try a Laney Ironheart? You can go a 60w or 120w head, or they have a 2u rack mount head that runs at either 15 or 1 watt, depending on which input you use? MUCH more affordable than a Marshall or Mesa or even a Peavey, certainly in Australia. Dunno how much they are in America, but check them out, they might be of use to you! I just got the rack mount head, it's pretty fantastic so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyallkRbBEs
Quote by BL1NDSIDE-J
Yea if you want to sound like every scene fagg0t on the planet get a peavey.

Sad but true. But its still a great amp and used a lot for a reason. It saturates a lot and yet it cuts through the mix like butter.

I loved Fluff's description of 5150/6505 when he was asked to compare it to EVH 5150 mk3. Peavey is like angry 20 year old with alcohol problem and trashing everything in sight, where is EVH is the same guy/amp 20 years later, matured and wearing a suit and having a hot blonde under his arm. Still capable of sheer brutality but its not the only thing it does. However I would say its the first example is definetly closer to what TS is looking for currently, not the latter.

If you want low end though, get a Randall RG1503 or RG3003. Its solid state but it sounds powerful and the low end you can get out of them shakes the walls.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Apr 23, 2014,
I would try and get a cheaper marshall combo if it was for me but for yourself I think thebest idea may be to get a high quality cab and make do with a valking head until you can trade it in for a mesa (the mesa is what you want but is out of your range) . THe other option that I would reccomend is again the good cab but with a tiny terror (dark terror or dual terror if possible) and something like a ts9 to push it. THe 5150 and 6505 are good amps but I have found they are really responsive to the quality of the guitar being played and the tightness of your playing.
Those ampeg 8x10 bass cabs are extremely heavy. Haven't you seen how big they are?!
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by BL1NDSIDE-J
Is Laney a repackaged Randall?

I have no idea? All I know is they're designed in the Black Country and built in Korea or somewhere like that.
Quote by BL1NDSIDE-J
Yea if you want to sound like every scene fagg0t on the planet get a peavey.

This is the worst post I've ever seen on UG.

If you play like a "scene fagg0t," you'll sound like one. It doesn't matter what amp you play.

I hate that type of music just as much as anyone. But I play a 6505, because that's not the only sound it does. I play death/black metal and it just slays. For the money, nothing else can come close. I suggest you search some bands that also use 5150s/6505s. They are not all metalcore...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
whatever amp was used by infester is fine by me
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Quote by KailM

If you play like a "scene fagg0t," you'll sound like one. It doesn't matter what amp you play.

I hate that type of music just as much as anyone. But I play a 6505, because that's not the only sound it does. I play death/black metal and it just slays. For the money, nothing else can come close. I suggest you search some bands that also use 5150s/6505s. They are not all metalcore...

Doesn't matter the whole point is the Peavey is so popular that by using it you are just contributing to the flood of bands that sound that way and IMO sound all the ****ing same. Point is its been ****ing done try something new. Metal will never advance if people just constantly rehash shit.
Last edited by BL1NDSIDE-J at Apr 26, 2014,
Quote by BL1NDSIDE-J
Doesn't matter the whole point is the Peavey is so popular that by using it you are just contributing to the flood of bands that sound that way and IMO sound all the ****ing same. Point is its been ****ing done try something new. Metal will never advance if people just constantly rehash shit.

Amp being popular is the last thing anyone should be thinking about. If the amp can make a sound YOU like who gives a rats ass how common it is. As I said 5150/6505 is ridiculously common but it is such for a reason. No matter what genre you play from oldschool deathmetal to modern djentitycore, it just ****ing works.

If you are hellbent on sounding different try different speakers instead of V30. Instantly dramatic difference in tone.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Apr 26, 2014,
Quote by KailM

They're shitty amps, I'm sorry.
Quote by Ironic Maiden
They're shitty amps, I'm sorry.

Hah! That must mean 80% of metal albums made since the early 90's must sound like shit to you.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Well atleast 50% of it does suck ass this me too attitude that everyone seems to have is exactly why metal has stagnated so **** off and go listen to pop because its the same mindset.
Last edited by BL1NDSIDE-J at Apr 26, 2014,
Quote by MaaZeus
80% of metal albums made since the early 90's must sound like shit

It seems like this forum has entered a new level of awareness. People are figuring this out without even being told now.
Quote by BL1NDSIDE-J
Well atleast 50% of it does suck ass this me too attitude that everyone seems to have is exactly why metal has stagnated so **** off and go listen to pop because its the same mindset.

What on earth are you talking about?

It seems like this forum has entered a new level of awareness. People are figuring this out without even being told now.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I would like to point out that an album can be good even if it has a shitty guitar tone, but a shitty guitar tone is just shitty.
Quote by Ironic Maiden
I would like to point out that an album can be good even if it has a shitty guitar tone, but a shitty guitar tone is just shitty.

I know, I was just messing with you.

I'd also like to point out that since you think the amp is shitty that is perfectly valid opinion you based on your taste. But if a person disses an amp just because its popular... All I can say is that form your own god damn opinion. If its good, its good. If not, try something else. If the amp is common, who cares, its your sound. Its your playing that sets you apart (or not) from the rest.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Apr 26, 2014,
Quote by Hoodoo Man

Can't recall the last time I gave a good laugh at something said on UG. You're one of the good ones Hoodoo.

Reading that to Ultimo Mondo Cannibale also leant to the humor.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by Hoodoo Man

This guy
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by Hoodoo Man

Quote by MaaZeus
Its your playing that sets you apart (or not) from the rest.

It must be nice to be so Naive if that was true how come hordes of good musicians are broke and nameless?
Quote by BL1NDSIDE-J
It must be nice to be so Naive if that was true how come hordes of good musicians are broke and nameless?

And changing from one amp manufacturer from another will somehow change how famous you can become? Speaking of naive... Ok seriously, you are now just picking up sentences away from the context to start an argument. Plus becoming famous was never the subject, finding an amp with a sound an individual (TS in particular) likes was.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by progbass
The rest are gothenburg clones aka metalcore

I hear no similarities between Gothenburg (that's a place, therefore a proper noun...that means you should capitalize it) metal and metalcore. I'm sorry, I just don't.

At the Gates to Darkest Hour (I've heard that comparison before)? No, nothing alike -- stfu. One is melodic death metal and the other is mall-core.

Even newer In Flames is nothing like U.S. metalcore. (Though, I have to admit I'm not a fan of anything newer than Clayman...)
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by BL1NDSIDE-J

Though I suspect I am dealing with a 13 year-old hipster (what is this world coming to?) here, I'll attempt to clarify. If you think the 5150/6505 is only capable of metalcore/scene sounds you need to expand your listening vocabulary.

Amon Amarth comes to mind. They sound nothing like the bands you're talking about. Another example is myself. I sound NOTHING like a typical -core band. I have even had people ask me (about some of my recordings) whether I was using a Boss HM-2 on a song -- and my answer was NO. That's just my EQ'ing (with an EQ pedal) and playing style/speaker/cabinet selection using the 6505+'s base sound. Nobody sounds like me. (And for the record, I've been playing METAL for 18+ years).

To put it simply, there is a finite amount of tones that you can use for metal, as metal has a fairly narrow range of basic requirements for what is a "metal" tone. You lack enough gain, and it's no longer metal, it's hard rock/alternative/whathaveyou. There are only so many amp/pedal/cab/speaker combinations available that will work for metal. Your argument could be said about anybody that uses a Mesa Dual Rec. Anybody that uses a Mark V. Anybody that uses an Orange. You name it.

They have all been tried.

I have played dozens of amps that cost 2x as much and are considered "better" than my 6505. Indeed, some of them sounded nice. Some did not sound as good, no matter how I tweaked them. Some had aspects I liked better than my 6505, but they were not the same as my 6505. In the end, you need to be satisfied with your tone and then focus on your playing, as that is the only thing that sets you apart from other people. At this point, I can't justify spending $2000+ to get a sound that is just "different" from my current one.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Apr 27, 2014,
Page 1 of 2