hey i've been playing guitar for 3 years now never had problem with barre chords or pain than normal
then now it start to hurt so much in that meat area between thumb and index finger and inside of my hand's palm its hurts in the middle or something above the middle a little bit toward the thumb finger
i went to doctor to check carpel tunnel and tendonitis and i don't have both thanks god !

but it still hurt so much the pain last for 2-3 hours even after stop playing barre chords
my friend told me to rubbing my hand with bengay cream and i'll be okay

so am i doing something wrong and my hand trying to tell me ? or what to do ?!
I had that problem before. It was caused by my fretting hand being too tense when playing, causing me to grip the neck too hard. Learning to relax your fretting hand more as you play can help. If it hurts when you play, you're definately doing something wrong.
Stretches like that will hurt ANYONE if they arent warmed up properly. Do some finger and wrist warm up stretches and exercises. After a while you shouldnt feel as much pain if any at all. Hopefully lol!
Last edited by mabbamam at Apr 23, 2014,
Quote by 141094
I had that problem before. It was caused by my fretting hand being too tense when playing, causing me to grip the neck too hard. Learning to relax your fretting hand more as you play can help. If it hurts when you play, you're definately doing something wrong.

Bingo
Also, make sure that you are using your fingers to actually apply the pressure needed, not your thumb. It sounds like it's the same thing, but there is a very significant distinction. Your thumb is only there to support the neck. Nothing more. Other than that, keep your wrist as straight as possible, and keep your thumb behind the neck.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Taking a break from playing and let your hand heal by the way just remember to relax while playing being tense might have caused this problem.. It's happened to me before you just have to relax while playing whether you're picking strumming or changing chords try your hardest to exert the right amount of pressure without going overboard.

Dude it could just be the guitar. Ive played guitars that kill me after 5 mins of chording, dont kill yourself over it and experiment with different necks.
After making sure that your guitar is setup properly to make barring easier, then analyze your left hand. Are you squeezing your chords, or are you relaxing the thumb and letting the weight of the arm bring the fingers down on the strings? This video on YouTube might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBnS4uhaXAI