Been in the market for a new amp for a while now and while i have settled on a head (JVM 410H) I have no idea where to begin when it comes to picking out a good cabinet to go with it. I play mostly metal. Can anyone recommend a good cabinet to go with the JVM 410? Also, how much will a cabinet actually effect the sound of an amp?
Quote by CanMetalx
I play mostly metal. Can anyone recommend a good cabinet to go with the JVM 410?
It depends on your budget and how big of a cab do you want.
My first choice for everything metal would be the mesa rectifier 4x12/2x12 but it's damn expensive.
Then you have the orange ppc, the marhsall with v30's I can't remember the name of, the ENGL xxl series, custom cabs like the zilla's, very cheap cabs like the harley benton's...
Quote by CanMetalx
Also, how much will a cabinet actually effect the sound of an amp?
In my experience that's the thing that affects the sound most after the amp.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by CanMetalx
(a) I play mostly metal. (b) Also, how much will a cabinet actually effect the sound of an amp?

(a) what type(s) of metal?

(b) loads (i'm counting the speakers as part of the cabinet when i say that)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
(a) what type(s) of metal?

(b) loads (i'm counting the speakers as part of the cabinet when i say that)

a) stuff like As I Lay Dying, All That Remains and Veil Of Maya
b) and im not sure if I want to go with 2 speakers or 4
Look for a used Marshall MF280 or MF400. They are normally <$300 the 280 has V30's and the 400 has K-100's

Are you in the USA?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Look for a used Marshall MF280 or MF400. They are normally <$300 the 280 has V30's and the 400 has K-100's

Are you in the USA?

Im new to cabinets, what are V30's and K-100's? Also I'm in Canada
Last edited by CanMetalx at Apr 23, 2014,
G12V30 and G12K100 are two speaker models from celestion.
Speaker model names from them often get the G12 part cut because 12" speakers are the most widely used for guitar applications and no one here has probably ever even seen a 10" v30.

Anyway, v30's and k100's are speakers that generally are found to sound best when reproducing distorted stuff.
Like, more highly than slightly distorted stuff.
It's not like they will sound bad clean either, but for my life I can't pull out a convincing funk tone out of my 2x12 with v30's

To help you with the size choice I can only think of one question: what do you wanna do with that cab?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
For $600-$1000 you can buy a really really nice cab, especially if you're looking used.

For metal pretty much any cab from Mesa, Diezel, Cornford, Genz Benz, Vader, Splawn, Marshall, Mills Acoustics, Stone Age, Port City, Orange, Custom Audio should sound good for nearly any situation.

Like spambot said, knowing how you want the cabinet to affect your tone will help lead you in the right direction. If you're looking for more more mids, tighter bass, crisp highs, projection, looser bass etc. will help pin down the right cab for you.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
He already mentioned his style some posts above.

My question was about the practical aspect of the thing: do you wanna move it often, where do you wanna use it, will you gig with it... ?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I plan to use this cab for gigs and for use at home when im not playing a show. I generally have lower mids, higher trebble and about a mid range bass on my current line 6 amp. I just want to make sure i get a solid cab cause i dont want to spend money on something that isnt going to sound quite right.
Like I said a used MF280 would be great and keep your gear matching (if your like that). A used Mesa rectifier standard or Orange PPC412 would also be good
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
How big is your car?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Usually, 4x12s come with wheels, so unless you had to bring them someplace that's not reachable by wheels, like a staircase, since you have the budget you may as well get a 4x12 for the wider sound.

I'd still get a used rectifier 4x12 at this point, or an orange ppc4x12 if you can find one for less money and/or (like me :P) you happen to be fond of orange colored equipment.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Is the only difference between the Mesa Rectifier 4x12 and the oversized version just size?
Quote by Spambot_2
G12V30 and G12K100 are two speaker models from celestion.
Speaker model names from them often get the G12 part cut because 12" speakers are the most widely used for guitar applications and no one here has probably ever even seen a 10" v30.

Anyway, v30's and k100's are speakers that generally are found to sound best when reproducing distorted stuff.
Like, more highly than slightly distorted stuff.
It's not like they will sound bad clean either, but for my life I can't pull out a convincing funk tone out of my 2x12 with v30's

To help you with the size choice I can only think of one question: what do you wanna do with that cab?

wat

V30s are fantastic funk speakers. Spanky and tight as shit. Probably my favorite all round speaker.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
wat

V30s are fantastic funk speakers. Spanky and tight as shit. Probably my favorite all round speaker.
Tight?
Not really.
Speanky?
Well yeah.

THEY HAVE TOO MUCH ****IN MIDS.
That's the problem.
Funk doesn't like mids.
Quote by CanMetalx
Is the only difference between the Mesa Rectifier 4x12 and the oversized version just size?
Yeah.
And if you have the money and the space, I'd get the oversized one.
Better bass.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by CanMetalx
Also, how much will a cabinet actually effect the sound of an amp?

The choice of cabinet (particularly speakers used) are the next biggest thing affecting your sound. Every guitar speaker is colored differently and react to different frequencies differently (like one being looser in bass, other being tighter than... you get the idea) and just switching from speakers to another will dramatically change your tone. But the thing with speakers is that this is all about your taste, you may not even end up liking V30's despite how popular they are and want to try some other speakers with a different touch. Or maybe you want to mix them and combine different speakers in same cab.

To put things in perspective here are couple of comparisons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRDRs2vyMyw

And some Eminences
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9_exgI5Esg

By the way, Mesa Celestion V30 is a custom made and differs from normal Celestion V30 quite a bit. There are comparisons about those too in youtube if you are interested.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Apr 27, 2014,
Quote by Spambot_2
Tight?
Not really.
Speanky?
Well yeah.

THEY HAVE TOO MUCH ****IN MIDS.
That's the problem.
Funk doesn't like mids.

Actually I know several funk bands and they all use V30's or CL-80's and they all sound just fine. And they use plenty of mids

Just take a step back and re-evaluate what you wrote there
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I sort of agree with spambot there (though I agree v30s are tight as all get-out, not sure i'd call them spanky).

I don't play much funk, though and it's very dependent on the amp you're using.

i could see cl80s working well for funkier stuff, though, they have a lot fewer mids. maybe too chunky/bassy, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Alright I might retreat about the tightness part, but that's it.

I think you can play funk on anything if you have a clean amp and a compressor, but I don't like much mids in my funk, and my go-to speakers for that are 10" to 8" jensen's.
And I don't even dislike the lows that much y' know.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
yeah i'd prefer a blackfacier tone for funk too, for when i never play it

but yeah i agree.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah i'd prefer a blackfacier tone for funk too, for when i never play it
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I dunno. I've been playing funk/jazz for years, and my favorite tone I've ever had for that is with the Rhodes and V30s. Bright and sparkly with just enough punch. I love jacking up my mids though. Especially when using single coils.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
^^

^ yeah I mean it's very dependent on your amp etc. Most of my amps can use help with the cleans, and the v30s tend to make them "worse", at least to my ears. Don't get me wrong, I do like v30s, just not for that type of tone.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't like v30s on their own. Too middy. To really shine they need to be paired with something like k100s
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan