Ive been playing an acoustic for a while now (seagull sws) and im looking to buy my first electric.
I was wondering if you could give yalls input based off of the guitars and bands i list. And see what guitar would suit my style of play.
My music is all over the place but im a fan of anything jack white, gary clark jr , black keys.
I also im interested in classic rock, led zep, tom petty, rolling stones,cream, also blues. I also listen to a lot of indie / alternative music. Shins, strokes, silversun pickups, radiohead.

Ive looked into a lot of what my favorite guitarist play but they do differ, so im looking at the following,
G5622T-CB Gretsch
G5420T electromatic Gretsch
Pro Jet Gretsch
Epiphone Sheraton II
Telecaster Baja

(edit update)
Budget? - Under 1k

Favorite Artists? - listed above

Preferences? - None, open to all.

Pickups? - No idea.

New or Used? - No preference

Location? - Alabama

Current Gear?- Seagull SWS rosewood.

Thank you,
Last edited by hellar89 at Apr 23, 2014,
Follow this link: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497696

The more of those questions you can answer, the better we can help you!

I know Jack White and Dan Auerbach use a variety of classic guitars like Airlines, Teles and Jags, etc., some stock, some modified, some solidbodies, some semihollow.

And Gary Clark, Jr, uses a mix of stock and customized semihollow Epiphones.

As for the guitars you mentioned, they're all up to the task!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Well, like I said, any of the guitars you listed would do the job pretty well. Of those, I'd probably lean towards the first two Gretsch guitars. After that, I'd go with the Epi- I am NOT going to argue with the sounds GC Jr gets out of his!

It may also be easier to find a good used Epi where you are, but you never know. I walked into a music store one day and found a pair of pristine used Gretsch Electromatics for $500 each.

I still kick myself over not buying one of them...

And now to suggest what every UGer who knows me is expecting- you might want to look at Reverend guitars.
http://www.reverendguitars.com/category/guitar/

Most models are in about the same price range, and are a really good deal for the price: made in Korea with setup in Detroit; good quality control, and a lot of tonal flexibility. I'd recommend a Manta Ray, Charger or Club King as the first to look at, but others may appeal to you as well. In addition, a good used Rick Vito signature (hardtail) might also appeal if you can find them- they're running @$800-1000 on eBay and Reverb.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=201075896148&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:3160
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 23, 2014,
i'd get a telecaster (not necessarily the baja). I'd be concerned those other guitars you listed might be too "niche", at least for a first guitar (different if you get a bunch more guitars later on). and certainly led zep, tom petty and the stones are very suitable for a telecaster.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
He does have a good point there.

Expanding on his selection, though, you might want to look at the G&L Tribute ASAT series.

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/guitars/index_new.asp

G&L makes a hell of a guitar, and their Tribute line lies somewhere between Fender's made in Mexico and made in USA guitars. Really good value.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 23, 2014,
oh yeah it doesn't even necessarily have to be a fender, other companies' versions (assuming they're good quality) will work, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?