Not just plain scared, like scared of a spider, or scared of failing a class, or scared of losing money. Do you ever just feel scared of life? Like worried of dying with an unfulfilled purpose. Scared of monotonous years spent working, to live, to work, to retire, at an age you may not even live to see. Scared that what you believe waits for you at the other side may not be waiting for you at all. Death, with no purpose in life and no memory of the life lived, is peace, but life lived in wait of death is torture, not ever knowing what really comes of one's conscious. To me, at least. I don't feel like this all the time, pit, but it's been happening more and more lately.

I have my faith, faith in God, in everlasting life. However, I am not afraid of nothingness. The end of my consciousness is the end of worry and pain, not that I have any REAL physical or emotional worry or pain. Others have far greater and far 'realer' worries. It is the not knowing that kills me. How can I serve a master, fully, that I do not know exists in the way that I perceive exists? I am convinced, within my own reason, to serve the Christian God, and in a way that I believe is in concordance with God's will. My conscience is my guide, and it will not let me reject the presence of God in our world; but that is not to say that there are not doubts, not of the presence, but of the figure. God's existence, to me, is apparent through the inter-workings of our world: the laws that govern our existence, gravity and inertia, and the existence of particle matter (the existence of anything at all). Why should there be anything in existence, if there is not one entity that overcomes and supersedes all laws. The rest, I believe, is beyond all human understanding, as it would require experience and understanding of a world unknown. But the figure of God, and what is truly God's will... how do I know? Except for faith, I have no proof, but my conscience.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
You just gotta keep exploring the concepts. You wont be afraid of it when you understand it. Death takes a long time to understand. But life shouldnt be scary if you have goals and a plan. Keep in mind, living in a log cabin by a river is a great life, dont worry about money, just get good at what you like.
Saturday. Woke up and decided to make me breakfast.
Couldn't find the bacon. Turns out it was under the cheese packet.
It only took a few seconds to find but they were scary seconds.
^ lol

When I hang out with my friends at home we sometimes talk about the future and what we're planning on doing. The truth is, none of us have an idea despite talking about all these plans. It sometimes scares me to the point where I can't sleep at night, even after spending the last few hours drinking.

I'm scared right now too. I'm on semester break and no one is around. I had plans to drive around New Zealand but my friend backed out with some bullshit excuse and ran off to do it with other friends. Now I feel like all my friends avoid me because the first friend isn't really on speaking terms with me for some unknown reason. I don't know what I'm going to do when the semester ends and I'll have two months to travel. I'll be alone because everyone will be off somewhere else.
Quote by Colgate Total
I really don't want a child.

You'd be surprised how attached you become to those furniture breaking, food eating, sleep disturbing little monsters.
Everything you thought was important takes a back seat.
They're like tiny little people running around the house.
Yay another existentialist thread, can't wait for the religtards and fuckhead atheists come out of the woodwork to argue again.
I'm afraid that TS has wasted over 5 minutes of my life with reading his OP.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
Quote by Malchius
Yay another existentialist thread, can't wait for the religtards and fuckhead atheists come out of the woodwork to argue again.

Don't worry.

You stand above them.

You stand above them all.
Quote by Extra Ordinary
^ lol

When I hang out with my friends at home we sometimes talk about the future and what we're planning on doing. The truth is, none of us have an idea despite talking about all these plans. It sometimes scares me to the point where I can't sleep at night, even after spending the last few hours drinking.

I'm scared right now too. I'm on semester break and no one is around. I had plans to drive around New Zealand but my friend backed out with some bullshit excuse and ran off to do it with other friends. Now I feel like all my friends avoid me because the first friend isn't really on speaking terms with me for some unknown reason. I don't know what I'm going to do when the semester ends and I'll have two months to travel. I'll be alone because everyone will be off somewhere else.
But you're already in Australia. Just stay in Australia and hang out with wombleroos all summer like these geniuses:

It's the noble thing to do.
People are more afraid then they think.

People being elitist for example fear identity loss and compensate by ignoring and hard pushing their opinion to create an artificial self importance.

They basically have a real good inate abilty to do cognitive behavourial tasking on themselves.

Yes I have had and sometimes have fear of things in my life. Oddly enough I experience more fear when my life is actually stable and going well I guess I'm just afraid of losing, rather than have the fear of failing.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Apr 23, 2014,
I think realizing the inevitability of the death of everything, coupled with an understanding of how little purpose there is to life, is necessary to I guess adapting to and being aware of daily living. You're religious so you believe in a reason for creation, which I guess complicates things in an existential sense if you start to become aware of it.

If you stick to your faith, and trust (without doubt) in the power and morality of a God, then I don't think you'll suffer much, day after day. I'm an atheist myself, so I feel obligated to tell you not to worry too much about holding on to your belief, but I also don't want to tell you that my way is more correct because my way will make it harder, if not impossible, to find any universal purpose to life. The only thing I'll tell you is to make way for uncertainty, God or no God, cuz that's just a fact of living. You can ignore this doubt and confine yourself to an oblivious existence, or you can face it and come out either believing more strongly or not believing at all.

The point is to understand that you can choose where you put your faith and worship, and I don't mean just for deities. Whether you choose to worship art, or money, or science, or whatever. You have total control over that.

And I hope this wasn't a depressing post lol. I like talking bout this shit cuz I'm going through it for the first time. Every other week I think I'm over it and quickly find out that I'm not. I don't think you can ever be "over it", it'll keep coming back in its own way. At any rate, eat big and drink up.
"i can assure you the reason there is anything and it's like this is because of the christian god"

"anything else would be beyond human comprehension"

what even

Nah I don't really think about crap like that.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by willT08
"i can assure you the reason there is anything and it's like this is because of the christian god"

"anything else would be beyond human comprehension"

what even

You need to reread that post, man.

To everyone else, thanks for your responses. It's worth noting that I don't feel like this all the time, or even most of the time. It's just those weird times, usually at night, when you can't sleep, and you over-think things.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
You're going to die. Whether or not you think about it, whether or not you plan for it, you're going to die. Sitting around worrying about it is a shitty way to spend the time you have. If you think your life doesn't have enough meaning, then ask yourself what WOULD give it meaning. Do you need a more fulfilling job? Do you need to spend more time on music? Do you need to get out more and spend more time with people? Life only has the meaning we give it, and sitting around worrying about it sure as hell doesn't help.
Highly relevant

“Rabbit's clever," said Pooh thoughtfully.
"Yes," said Piglet, "Rabbit's clever."
"And he has Brain."
"Yes," said Piglet, "Rabbit has Brain."
There was a long silence.
"I suppose," said Pooh, "that that's why he never understands anything.”
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Yesterday I was walking down the street and some kid ran out into the street and a car that was driving pretty fast hit the brakes and slid, stopping short of the kid by half a foot or so. That scared me and everyone else on the street for a few seconds.
Quote by c3powil
Scared of monotonous years spent working,

Yes, actually...
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!