I get a bee in my bonnet every time I see cajons in a music shop: "Sixty quid for a wooden box? Honestly, how hard can it be?"

So, having a huge sheet of MDF knocking around, getting gradually more battered and useless, last week I set about making one.

I mean, it's just a box, right?

Actually, when you're only using hand tools, it's remarkably difficult to make a nice square box. Nevertheless, I wrestled it into shape, got a cheap snare wire and hit it with a couple of coats of vinyl silk emulsion.

Some cheap door-stops for feet and then a little added extra...

...the piezo buzzer from a dead smoke detector to act as a pickup. I even put a tone knob on (it doesn't have much effect).

A bit of 4mm ply for the striking surface and, aside from being slightly "jaunty" in places, it's pretty good.

The buzzer/transducer/pickup works remarkably well.
That's pretty cool. Always wondered what those things were.

I've had a bit of experience making pickups out of smoke detector piezo buzzers and they really do work well. I used to make them for people when I was in high school.
Looks good, I was thinking of building one myself - was considering getting a DIY kit but may take the plunge and do it from scratch instead.

Do you have any sound clips?
Quote by WeZ-84
Looks good, I was thinking of building one myself - was considering getting a DIY kit but may take the plunge and do it from scratch instead.

Do you have any sound clips?
To be honest, if you need to buy the materials then a kit like this one actually seems quite good value. But if you've got stuff lying around you can plunder then go for it. I spent £10.50 on this (£4 for the door-stops and £6.50 for the snare), but if I'd had to buy the MDF, ply, square section timber, etc., I'm sure I'd be getting pretty close to that figure.

I'll see if I can get my drummer step-son to put in a performance this evening. To me, it's just a box you slap.