So I have a couple of hours to kill before my rehersal and I don't have any other guitars where I am presently so I need to fix this one.

So I have a Schecter ATX-V and I started jamming on it this morning and noticed some fretbuzz on the fourth fret. So I go ok that's easy to fix, so I fix that...

But then the fret buzz moves over to the fifth fret of the A string (All the other strings are ok)

What can I do to sort this?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Maybe it always was there, but you haven't noticed it before?

Also, consider that your playing position has an effect on neck relief because of gravity acting on the neck.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I used to have buzz on my high E string at the 15th, 16th and 17th fret, which was very peculiar since my action is already silly high. I solved it by raising the action even further.

EDIT: I didn't have buzz on all three frets *simultaneously*; when I fixed one, it moved to another fret, just like yours.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
Last edited by Archer250 at Apr 23, 2014,
how did you "fix" it in the first place?

adjust action, check relief? check for a high fret?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
how did you "fix" it in the first place?

adjust action, check relief? check for a high fret?

Just raised the action!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Just raised the action!

Continue raising. It worked for me. My guess is that due to heavy playing, some frets became uneven and cause buzzes when the string is fretted to another fret, closer to the bridge.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
you have to check out the set up thread.

if you just raise the action, and the buzz is from not having enough or any neck relief, then you'll be playing a guitar with insanely high action for no reason.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at Apr 25, 2014,
Quote by jj1565
you have to check out the set up thread.

if you just raise the action, and the buzz is from a not having enough or any neck relief, then you'll be playing a guitar with insanely high action for no reason.

Higher action yields better tone and more string control. No point in not having one.
Gear:
Quote by Archer250
Higher action yields better tone and more string control. No point in not having one.

that makes no sense.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by Archer250

But ridiculously high action just makes your guitar really hard to play.

And you can also achieve "better tone" by lowering your pickups.

TS needs to check his neck. You should be able to have very low action if your guitar is correctly set up. Of course you can raise the action if you like it but TS clearly doesn't like it. It's all about preferences. You can't talk about things like this like they were facts.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Archer250

NO, just NO.

Maybe you just need to play a guitar setup correctly. My Guitars all have very low action and they play and sound great, from a $299 Epi G-400 to a $2300 PRS
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
NO, just NO.

Maybe you just need to play a guitar setup correctly. My Guitars all have very low action and they play and sound great, from a $299 Epi G-400 to a $2300 PRS

Conversely, my guitars have high action, and they all play fine. Bending and vibrato is easier, too. In fact, string rolling is much easier because, having had to fret harder, releasing a fretted note is easier.
True, you can achieve anything with the correct setup, but why not give it a try? Hell, if you have a Floyd, it'll give you a lot of range.

Quote by MaggaraMarine
But ridiculously high action just makes your guitar really hard to play.

And you can also achieve "better tone" by lowering your pickups.

TS needs to check his neck. You should be able to have very low action if your guitar is correctly set up. Of course you can raise the action if you like it but TS clearly doesn't like it. It's all about preferences. You can't talk about things like this like they were facts.

I fail to see the part where TS said he/she hated it. Anyway, I'm not talking about just the processed tone; try playing it unplugged, you might notice that guitars with higher action are louder acoustically, and allow more dynamics.
(Pick too hard on a lower action and it will buzz)
+1 to the part about checking his neck, although let's ask him if he knows how to adjust the truss rod.
Gear:
I have tried high action and it felt terrible.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
I have tried high action and it felt terrible.

Felt good to me

Gear:
Quote by Archer250
Felt good to me

Jesus Christ.

I thought my action was higher than normal.

My definition of high action has been redefined.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Archer250
Felt good to me

The intonation can't be right when you fret those strings. Looks like it is set up for slide

Hey different strokes I guess

But most people like low action
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate