I am quite new to this forum but one that that I have noticed is that changing the stock pickups seems to be highly recommended. I was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction to some high quality pickups. My guitar is a Strat model.
It sounds really dull at times, it is very hard to get a clear note out of even on a clear chanel.
What's your amp, and is your Strat made in Mexico or the US?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
^ +1

sometimes people get too concerned about changing pickups. that's not to say they don't (sometimes) help, and sometimes help a lot, but it depends on what pickups you already have in there, what the rest of your gear is and what type(s) of tones you're trying to get. i'd say pickups probably qualify as the #1 "unnecessary mod", at least judging by these forums...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by JustRooster
What's your amp, and is your Strat made in Mexico or the US?

Amp is a g-mod 15 by Cool, guitar is also by Cool. Which you probably won't find online because they are a shitty belgian brand.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ +1

sometimes people get too concerned about changing pickups. that's not to say they don't (sometimes) help, and sometimes help a lot, but it depends on what pickups you already have in there, what the rest of your gear is and what type(s) of tones you're trying to get. i'd say pickups probably qualify as the #1 "unnecessary mod", at least judging by these forums...

Thanks, considering my pickups are shit I would think upgrading them would be worth it. Or just buy a new guitar, maybe upgrading my current one isn't even worth it.
Quote by lolsalot
Thanks, considering my pickups are shit I would think upgrading them would be worth it. Or just buy a new guitar, maybe upgrading my current one isn't even worth it.

Probably not. The #1 factor of your tone is your amp. Get a good one of those first. Then a better guitar. If you still don't like the minor nuances of your tone, that's where pickup replacement comes in.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Dave is correct, though. Especially with a beginner amplifier, new pickups probably won't even make an audible difference.
^ I dunno about not audible, but not enough to justify the cost, considering the price of a good set of pickups will probably buy you a better amp than you already have which would improve your tone way more. I mean, in europe, a set of dimarzios or duncans (especially if it's an HSH set with 3 pickups) can set you back £200, which is within range of a jet city amp (which are killer for the money, and pretty sweet even disregarding how much they cost, they can hang with the big expensive amps IMO).

Quote by TheStig1214
Probably not. The #1 factor of your tone is your amp. Get a good one of those first. Then a better guitar. If you still don't like the minor nuances of your tone, that's where pickup replacement comes in.

+1 (or an amp and guitar at the same time if both are below par)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Apr 23, 2014,
I agree with those who say that the amp comes first, and that there is little point in doing anything else until that issue is addressed. The process is evolutionary. - I think the logical approach is to buy a decent amp, then get a guitar you find visually and tactilely attractive, then if necessary choose pickups for it that suit the amp and your tastes. I practice what I preach in this - my amp is an H&K Statesman Dual EL84, the guitar I was playing yesterday is a rescued hockshop $75 (would have been $50 in the US) Peavey Raptor, and the pickups are a $150 Lollar Chicago and a Tonerite AlII P90. I admit I go to extremes - not only is the guitar highly modified, but the pickups have also been altered to suit my tastes - but you can go a long way just with pickup swapping in a cheap guitar. - But the amp comes first.
To compound on Dave:

I have a JCA20H I bought to be my basement screamer. I take it to my band practices pretty often now. I got it used for $220, and I've been super impressed. I did, however, put JJ's in it, which made a big, big improvement.
Well if you bought a beginner guitar and amp combo then your first step is to play it enough until it sounds good. After you've reached that point, buy a nice amp and new guitar with sweet pick ups and you will blow your own mind. DragonFire makes sweet pickups that are cheap if u want to buy some.
Last edited by mabbamam at Apr 23, 2014,
Quote by lolsalot
I am quite new to this forum but one that that I have noticed is that changing the stock pickups seems to be highly recommended. I was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction to some high quality pickups. My guitar is a Strat model.

Everything matters in terms of the sound you want, everything from string gauges to the thickness of your pick to your amplifier to whatever pickups you're using.

I can kind of relate to your story, I own a Stratocaster too, but mine is a '92 American HSS that I inherited from the old man. By the time I owned the guitar, my pickups were already 20+ years old. Changing my pickups made an immense difference in my guitars sound.

There are so many different options for you to go as far as pickups are concerned, do you have a certain sound in mind? I'm more of a hard rock, grunge/classic rock type of player, but I must say that I'm quite fond of the Seymour Duncan Cool Rails and the Seymour Duncan Dimebucker I got put in it.

Might I suggest you google an artist whose sound you want to emulate? That should give you some options that you can pinpoint to a certain sound that you like.
Quote by NewDayHappy
Everything matters in terms of the sound you want, everything from string gauges to the thickness of your pick to your amplifier to whatever pickups you're using.

I can kind of relate to your story, I own a Stratocaster too, but mine is a '92 American HSS that I inherited from the old man. By the time I owned the guitar, my pickups were already 20+ years old. Changing my pickups made an immense difference in my guitars sound.

There are so many different options for you to go as far as pickups are concerned, do you have a certain sound in mind? I'm more of a hard rock, grunge/classic rock type of player, but I must say that I'm quite fond of the Seymour Duncan Cool Rails and the Seymour Duncan Dimebucker I got put in it.

Might I suggest you google an artist whose sound you want to emulate? That should give you some options that you can pinpoint to a certain sound that you like.

Usually anyone who drops the word "Dimebucker" around here and speaks fondly of it is not to be trusted...

But yeah, pick a sound you want first. Then we can make amp/guitar/pickups suggestions.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
to echo others in addition to my opinion

the amp has to come first. that is the most timbre and volume altering things.

if you have an amp, then tubes matter, then speakers in the cab or combo.

(i may have put them in a different priority range, but i am just spewing thoughts best as i can)

sometimes pickups are a VERY big alteration, if you throw new pickups it will make a big difference if they were shit if pending you have a good amp. if your amp is shit, you may hardly notice.

my experience:

my gibsons all but one SG have gibson pickups, they do it fine for me.

my strat and tele (yes the tele i just pickedup) will both get new pickups, they don't do it for me. that will change a lot then for me.

my wolfgangs came with really good pickups, supposedly they are somehow copied by the EBMM that they had in the past. the got balls.

then i have my Ibanez Prestige, my 3550MZ came with tone zone / red velvet / air norton
the 2570EVSL pickups weren't right, i put in a crunch lab and liquifire, totally lit the guitar up. HUGE difference. the other prestige is awaiting on decision for a new set.

the point: the are no rules, do what you like, but i would put the amp/etc first if i were in your shoes.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thank you so much guys! This has helped me out a ton! I will definitely check in to buying a new amp first.
Quote by trashedlostfdup

if you have an amp, then tubes matter, then speakers in the cab or combo.

(i may have put them in a different priority range, but i am just spewing thoughts best as i can)

sometimes pickups are a VERY big alteration, if you throw new pickups it will make a big difference if they were shit if pending you have a good amp. if your amp is shit, you may hardly notice.

in my limited experience i'd say speakers matter far more than tubes- like most guitar stuff, though, it depends on what you're changing from and to.

and yeah same thing with pickups. if you're using unsuitable and/or rubbish ones then upgrading them can make a massive difference if your amp is good. but if the amp isn't good you're not really getting to the crux of the problem, even if the pickups are poor too. the amp's sort of the limiting factor.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?