Poll: What is your opinion on sampling?
Poll Options
View poll results: What is your opinion on sampling?
I love it because it's awesome and I'm cool :cool:
30 67%
I'm lame and think it's a form of stealing
3 7%
Get out of here with your fake instrument computer music.
12 27%
Voters: 45.
Page 1 of 2
What's the pit's views on sampling. Is it a legitimate way of making music? Is it just ripping off a song that someone else already wrote?

Why do you like/dislike when an artist samples to make music?
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
It's not really much different from covering a song. If you do it well, and add your own touch to it, good job. If you just rely on the song you're sampling to be good enough and don't add much to it (way too common with bad rappers), then you're just lazy.

Personally, I never sample anything other than sound effects and stuff
If the artist samples just to compliment their song, that's fine. But if the sample is the entire focus of the song (what "makes" the song) then it's bullshit. For example, "Ice Ice Baby." The only thing memorable about the song is Queen's baseline. But in Eminem's Berzerk, the Billy Squire sample just compliments the song (even though that song is quite shit).

You dig, man?
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
sampling when done right is beautiful, otherwise it kind of annoys me
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
It can be good and bad like anything. I actually like how that unkown RHCP song is sampled in Butterfly by Crazy Town.
Quote by Black Ox
It can be good and bad like anything. I actually like how that unkown RHCP song is sampled in Butterfly by Crazy Town.

Pretty Little Ditty is the song.

OT: I think if an artist can use the sample to create something that is unique and original then its all good with me but like AeroRocker said, if the artist uses the sample as the base for the whole song, then that shit is whack.
SNSD
All music is sampling
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
I love sampling. It's cool to hear one thing and then have it turned into something completely different. I usually call it musical collage when defending it even though that sounds dumb & stupid.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by lolmnt
I love sampling. It's cool to hear one thing and then have it turned into something completely different. I usually call it musical collage when defending it even though that sounds dumb & stupid.

yess, Tchaikovsky would've wanted this.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5VtsTW_t9xk

that sounded snarky but I was being serious, samples ftw
Quote by ErikLensherr

i get disappointed in the artist when i find out some hook or melody turns out to be a sample, but it doesn't ruin the song for me. i'm okay with samples for ornamentation.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Samples are what they are and can be good or bad depending on the context etc. like anything else.
jesus wept what decade are we in?

the sampling debate has been over forever fuk off
I think of it like this:

If someone painted a picture, everyone saw it, it made millions, gets featured in galleries, something like the Mona Lisa of a Van Gogh. The someone said, 'I'm gonna take a defining feature of that picture (for instance, mona lisa's face), that someone spent hours, or days, or (possibly) years perfecting, then I'm gonna slapdash it on my own, much less significant portrait or art piece and then have the audacity to charge money for people to see it, even if it is subjectively or objectively worse than whatever I took the image from'.

The same can be applied to video games. If I made an FPS game, everyone played it, it made millions, yadda yadda, like CoD or something.. lets say someone took 30 seconds of that memorable cutscene where you have to pull a knife out of your own chest. They then slapdash that piece of footage in their game in some way as to make it 'presentable' and then charge people lots of money to see it, even if it has no context on what the game is about or if it does/doesn't work artistically speaking (imagine if someone put it in DDR for instance).

What I'm getting at is that its a lazy way of saying 'I'm not creative enough to think for my own art, lets borrow someone else's because even if the majority wont agree with me that it sounds/looks/plays nicely and I'm justified in doing so, there'll always be some group of people who'll call me a genius and spur me and other people on to do it even more, thus devaluing all forms of art with a hint of 'cannot be arsed''.

And on that last sentence, I think if you're going to do any kind of art, its going to be the best ****ing thing you've ever made because without limits that need pushing, nothing changes or progresses, everything gets duller and duller and more meaningless and repetitive and then you end up with the death of culture (in the extreme end of this cynical exposition).

I don't have a problem if its something insignificant like a snare hit, a bass stab or even a vocal note. In context to my comparisons, that's like taking a small section of the greeny colour from the background of the Mona Lisa or say, the animation movements/skeleton of the knife in chest scene: Generally insignificant but indistinctive enough to not encroach on the original. I'm okay with that.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Sampling goes way way way back

This is sampling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAuqxEMRapg

pretty gr88888888

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by willT08
jesus wept what decade are we in?

the sampling debate has been over forever fuk off

****, I was going to inb4 you

inb4 snazz
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I sometimes feel like it's a bit "unfair", for lack of a better word, for the listener to not know which bits are sampled and how much of the song is, or not, original. I feel the same way with covers by the way (although covers are more "extreme" than sampling in this aspect, for me).

But I'm not worried about it, really. I do like to know if a song has samples or is a cover, and if so, I prefer knowing the original, but I know that's not important for a lot of people and that's perfectly fine.
by the way guys whether things are original or not doesn't actually ****ing matter at all

nor does how hard things are to play on wood and strings but you haven't figured that out either
Quote by willT08
by the way guys whether things are original or not doesn't actually ****ing matter at all

nor does how hard things are to play on wood and strings but you haven't figured that out either

Well, the first matters to me. Like, if someone plays a cover of a song that sounds exactly the same as the original, I don't think it has much merit as a song.

I agree with the second.
Covers are pretty much paying homage to an artist, where as sampling is pretty much straight theft. If I "sampled" willt's "hard work" he'd be ****ing pissed if he wasn't getting paid.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
sometimes a good use of a sample ends up being better than the original song anyway.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by losing battle
Covers are pretty much paying homage to an artist, where as sampling is pretty much straight theft. If I "sampled" willt's "hard work" he'd be ****ing pissed if he wasn't getting paid.

yeah i'd be really mad you sampled my samples lol

it's not theft at all hahahaha
Quote by losing battle

People who sample still have to pay royalties.
Last edited by Malchius at Apr 23, 2014,
learn2warhol
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

if i wasnt so lazy id link to that video that shows how smack my bitch up was made to show how sampling is good
Quote by losing battle

"Lesser artists borrow, great artists steal"

- Igor "da beatmaster" Stravinsky

edit: in a professional context he actually would be getting paid. Unless you want the pants sued off you. There is even a clause in copyright law to cover this, "derivative work".

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Apr 23, 2014,
Quote by steve_muse
I bet all these car engines feel pissed off about all this shameless plagiarism

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OFjGfksalho

I think for context, you're either deliberately misreading whats in the OP or you're not reading at all. This is about other songs being sampled in other songs, not about sound design-like uses of sampling of any old thing that makes a noise.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by EpiExplorer
I think for context, you're either deliberately misreading whats in the OP or you're not reading at all. This is about other songs being sampled in other songs, not about sound design-like uses of sampling of any old thing that makes a noise.

I was jus' making a joke man

Still sorta relevant tho, I mean it's manipulating noise for a certain different sound and that's what sampling's all about, taking something and manipulating it for something interesting.
Quote by ErikLensherr

Last edited by steve_muse at Apr 23, 2014,
Music is made to be listened to and enjoyed. Any techniques to get there do not matter at all. It's completely irrelevant to the end product.
Quote by willT08
ewwwwww

edit fun fact 2 burial's archangel samples the metal gear solid soundtrack

I like gay music
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Page 1 of 2