I'm looking to split my signal forom my guitar/bass to 2 sources. The particular application is Rocksmith. I use custom DLC and some songs have the volume of the instrument nearly muted and I can't hear myself so I wasa wondering if I could split the signal to both the rocksmith cable and my amp using something like this: http://www.vetco.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=72_91&products_id=11343

Is it possible? What issues might I run into? I'd absolutely love to be able to hear ME playing.
If you want to split a signal for more volume a double ended cable will only make it worse. You're better off with a simple A/B/Y box.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ABY?device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CLjly-uV970CFenm7AodJD4AMA
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Its not that I have a problem with volume. The people who wrote the CDLC for the game didn't amplify the volume in the game of the instrument. I hear the music in the game perfectly, and it picks up my signal perfectly, however I cannot hear myself at all in some songs. Which is why I want to send the signal to my amp at the same time so I can control MY volume there and not worry about hearing it from the game.
Quote by TheStig1214
If you want to split a signal for more volume a double ended cable will only make it worse. You're better off with a simple A/B/Y box.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ABY?device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CLjly-uV970CFenm7AodJD4AMA

I'm not sure how that would be better. It seems to do the exact same thing as a splitter but lets you select one source or the other if you want. I don't want that. I ALWAYS want both sources. Not to mention at 60$ its a huge waste of money if I can do it for 6$.
yes it will work. how well I don't know
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by syntheticocean
I'm not sure how that would be better. It seems to do the exact same thing as a splitter but lets you select one source or the other if you want. I don't want that. I ALWAYS want both sources. Not to mention at 60$ its a huge waste of money if I can do it for 6$.

It will work, but it won't sound great at all. And the game might not be able to pick up the sound.

Splitting the signal from the guitar is tricky business. It's really not as simple as using a splitter cable. I don't know the specific physics behind it but I read an article about it I can't seem to find that goes over running two amp in extreme detail, which is more or less what you're doing. ABY is the best way. I know it's expensive. Compared to what seems to be the obvious solution.

Are you sure you can't just go into the game's settings and turn the guitar up and the music down. That has to be an option.

EDIT: I found the article. http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/multi-amp-rigs-101/
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Last edited by TheStig1214 at Apr 23, 2014,
You can however, with the Custom DLC some songs are good volume, some are low. So I'd have to change it per song.

I'm not sure how that ABY works. It is not powered by anything, has an LED that pulls power from the cable I'm guessing. If that isn't powered, and a splitter isn't powered aren't they essentially the same?
Quote by syntheticocean

A/B/Y boxes allow you to send signals to A OR B OR Both.

There can be other issues related to A/B/Y boxes: http://www.fulltone.com/faq/why-doesnt-definitive-aby-box-exist

But it's worth noting that some stereo FX (and some multi-FX boxes, such as the Line 6 Pods) can send signals to two different locations at once using internal panning controls.
Quote by dspellman
A/B/Y boxes allow you to send signals to A OR B OR Both.

There can be other issues related to A/B/Y boxes: http://www.fulltone.com/faq/why-doesnt-definitive-aby-box-exist

But it's worth noting that some stereo FX (and some multi-FX boxes, such as the Line 6 Pods) can send signals to two different locations at once using internal panning controls.

This too. But PODs are hella expensive compared to an ABY box. The biggest issue, OP, is there will be signal loading no matter how you split it. A Y cable will give you the worst, though. It will be like taking the volume on your guitar and turning it a third of the way down, which may not be great for Rocksmith as far as picking up a signal.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
This too. But PODs are hella expensive compared to an ABY box. The biggest issue, OP, is there will be signal loading no matter how you split it.

Used Pods aren't very expensive compared to an ABY box. I picked up a Bass Pod XT for well under $80 last year, and the XT guitar models have settled in at around that price as well. The bonus is that there's so much more you can do with the Pod <G>.

There's no signal loading with a pod, either.
Quote by dspellman
Used Pods aren't very expensive compared to an ABY box. I picked up a Bass Pod XT for well under $80 last year, and the XT guitar models have settled in at around that price as well. The bonus is that there's so much more you can do with the Pod <G>.

There's no signal loading with a pod, either.

I was leaving PODs out

I have the HD500 and know exactly what they can do.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by syntheticocean
I didn't think of this. I have a POD I can use. I'll give it a go when I get home.

Well then...

Just try the Left/Right unbalanced outs for that and that one each patch you have the volume panned equally left and right.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214

I use one of these. You can get one fairly cheap on eBay. The advantage of these devices is that you can either send 1 input to 2 outputs OR send 2 inputs to 1 output. They're very easy to use. Hell, if you want to, you could even build your own A/B/Y box.