Page 1 of 2
So, I was just wondering: what are your thoughts about the Epiphone Les Paul Standard? Good value for your money? A better (not too expensive) alternative? What part of the guitar would you upgrade first of all? Etc.

I'd really appreciate it if you guys let me know what you think.

Thank you in advance!

xMusicGirlx
In before someone else posts the "Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus" ad! Currently the best Epi deal available, Gibson 57 Classic pickups, good electronics, etc.

Otherwise the Epi Standard Pro is a pretty solid guitar (note the "Pro"...stock pickups on Epis without that tag are not so good). Try before you buy though if possible, as with all guitars some are better than others.
Quote by Preacher403
In before someone else posts the "Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus" ad! Currently the best Epi deal available, Gibson 57 Classic pickups, good electronics, etc.

Otherwise the Epi Standard Pro is a pretty solid guitar (note the "Pro"...stock pickups on Epis without that tag are not so good). Try before you buy though if possible, as with all guitars some are better than others.

ones i've tried (which haven't been for a while) were pretty nice for the money

in europe vintages are supposed to be of similar quality for a bit less (but I haven't tried the LP versions so )

if you're really lucky you might come across one of the japanese copies for around your budget (but it'd take some luck)- tokai and the like. Bear in mind the cheaper ones aren't Japanese-made, though. It normally says "made in japan" on the back of the headstock and the japanese ones normally have 2-screw trussrod covers.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've got a 4 year old Epiphone Les Paul Standard, which is my first electric guitar. For the price, it's pretty good, BUT I think quality control on similarly-priced guitars from other brands like Ibanez and the like might be better.

It's got a nice warmth to it, and the sustain is great as you'd expect. Tone is pretty rich provided you can dial the right settings on your amp etc. The Les Paul Tribute Plus looks pretty sweet. Never tried the Gibson '57 Classic pickups though. I swapped out the stock Epiphone pickups for Seymour Duncans: '59 (neck) and Custom 5 (bridge). After swapping the pickups there was immediately more clarity. I like this pickup combination for smooth lead tones from the '59 and chunky rhythm playing from the Custom 5. Do install coil tapping (mine's on the bridge pickup), it makes the guitar much more versatile. Oh and the flame maple top on my guitar does look pretty nice.

However, with that said, I'm buying a new guitar soon. After a while you will probably feel like you've outgrown the guitar and need a new one. It's hard to explain exactly why, but with a higher quality guitar the difference in feeling and playability is unmistakeable. This is my experience with the regular Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top. If it's your first guitar, it's a good choice, but do check out brands like LTD (Eclipse series, if you're looking for the Les Paul shape). I've got an LTD bass and for the price it's simply amazing.

If you can afford the Les Paul Tribute Plus, perhaps you might want to take a look at the Gibson Les Paul Studio '60s Tribute? I think it's priced slightly higher. I've tried that, and that felt MUCH better than my Epiphone. The P90 pickups are great as well.
I myself have a epi lp and honestly I change pickups in almost any guitar eventually but i did get 57 classics for it. It will mostly likely need to be set up again , could need nutwork or a new nut (the tuners are fine on most epis its the nut not the tuners) And you could rewire it with gibson quality pots and caps
Any from 2 years ago are great. Any from within the last couple years are really hit and miss. The last shipment I got was pretty bangin', actually. I got three brand new ones in the shop and they really brought their quality up.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I have epi LP Std. My first guitar. Bought it used, so i can't speak to everything about it.

The volume and tone knobs don't stay where they're supposed to be. They slide down until the lip is rubbing against the top.
The nut is almost imperceptibly too low on the treble side. I wonder if it was mass-cut by some kind of a nut slot cutting machine.
The saddles on the bridge have rattled in the past. I can always get rid of it but it's not exactly trouble-free.
The tuners are okay. The only points of reference that i have are a MIA strat and my second guitar - a PRS SE. They are both more stable than the Epiphone, but only by a little bit.

It is a heavy guitar that doesn't feel as comfortable as the other two, but the neck feels decent and it sustains forever compared to my prs. It's a pretty guitar that gets plenty of attention. Of course anyone who plays will know it's not a gibson but there's a significant portion of the populace that doesn't know or care.
I like it. If i didn't have a les paul style of guitar i would definitely want one, and i think it's reasonable to settle for one like this if you're not stuck on owning a real Gibson.
Speaking of the LP Standard and the LP Tribute, what's better?
A) Buying an LP Standard and replacing the stock pick-ups with Gibson pick-ups later
B) Buying the LP Tribute right away
Quote by xMusicGirlx
A) Buying an LP Standard and replacing the stock pick-ups with Gibson pick-ups later

I haven't tried the Tribute, but you it seems you are getting a much higher quality guitar with the LP Tribute. Generally Epiphone seems to have done better on Tribute/Signature guitars so I'd say quality control-wise the LP Tribute would probably be more consistent.

You could calculate the cost of the individual components that you're going to change and see if it comes up to less than the LP Tribute, but personally if I had the choice and could afford it I'd go with the Tribute. You're overall getting better pickups, electronics, and even strap locks and a hard case. Unless of course, you find that the price difference isn't enough to justify the difference in parts.
I was'nt impressed with the Epi i had back in the 90's.They may be much better now though,That one further up looks really nice.
Last edited by EyeballPaul at Apr 24, 2014,
Quote by xMusicGirlx

The Tribute.

The LP Tribute really is a great value guitar. It is absolutely not a guitar to be ashamed of owning.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 24, 2014,
How about Tribute vs. Custom vs. Ultra?
Last edited by xMusicGirlx at Apr 24, 2014,
Quote by xMusicGirlx
How about Tribute vs. Custom vs. Ultra?

The Tribute+ is still the better guitar....

Gibson pickups, hardcase included and some more
Quote by xMusicGirlx
So, I was just wondering: what are your thoughts about the Epiphone Les Paul Standard? Good value for your money? A better (not too expensive) alternative? What part of the guitar would you upgrade first of all? Etc.

I'd really appreciate it if you guys let me know what you think.

Thank you in advance!

xMusicGirlx

You might want to read this thread as you are wanting to learn more about these guitars. You never know when it can break on you. I'd probably go with an alternative brand depending one what type of music you play, the choice would vary.

Thread:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1629737

More info on the subject:
http://www.edroman.com/rants/les_paul_necks.htm
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Quote by Blackfire.
You might want to read this thread as you are wanting to learn more about these guitars. You never know when it can break on you. I'd probably go with an alternative brand depending one what type of music you play, the choice would vary.

Thread:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1629737

More info on the subject:
http://www.edroman.com/rants/les_paul_necks.htm

Ed Roman...........

Truely not the best base for knowledgement about Epi/Gibson....

he's banned at all serious guitarforums.....
yeah ed roman said a lot of things...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
he's banned at all serious guitarforums...

He's currently banned from breathing, eating, and drinking...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by paruwi
Ed Roman...........

Truely not the best base for knowledgement about Epi/Gibson....

he's banned at all serious guitarforums.....

It's pretty common knowledge to guitar players who have experience with Gib/Epi on the design flaws. The page of Ed Roman was used because it merely showed what the problems were and I would not have to type everything out. Just because he said it doesn't mean it's not true.

If a mental ward patient said the world was round are you not going to believe it because he is banned from society? The world being round and gib/epi's break easily is common knowledge.

[..BLACKFIRE..]
Last edited by Blackfire. at Apr 25, 2014,
Quote by Blackfire.
It's pretty common knowledge to guitar players who have experience with Gib/Epi on the design flaws. The page of Ed Roman was used because it merely showed what the problems were and I would not have to type everything out. Just because he said it doesn't mean it's not true.

If a mental ward patient said the world was round are you not going to believe it because he is banned from society? The world being round and gib/epi's break easily is common knowledge.

every angled headstock breaks when the guitars hit the floor....
or when not packed properly during shipping
not only Gibson/Epi guitars....

As said, there are better sources than this Clown Ed Roman
and I know he's dead....

It doesn't make it 'true' just because 'he' said it....
Last edited by paruwi at Apr 26, 2014,
Quote by Blackfire.

That is head turning. I had no idea it was that thin, I thought people were just careless...
I don't think you can beat the Epi T+ in the price range to be honest.

Definitely pick it over the Epi standard.
Quote by JGM258
That is head turning. I had no idea it was that thin, I thought people were just careless...

the pic you've quoted is NOT from a Gibson...

It could be, but the thin spot is also only for about 1/4 the width of the neck too. That picture makes it look like it's across the whole neck.
Quote by paruwi
every angled headstock breaks when the guitars hit the floor....
or when not packed properly during shipping
not only Gibson/Epi guitars....

Your statement is true. But other guitars don't break in the same spot from design flaws like gib/epi does, even when packed properly and not dropped.

Quote by paruwi

As said, there are better sources than this Clown Ed Roman
and I know he's dead....

The thread isn't about Ed Roman and I can see why you would change the subject to that. You can disregard established facts, evidence, and reasonable opinions all you want in life but it won't change the truth.

The point of the post was to inform the buyer so they can make an informed decision when the time comes. The OP has google and can do their own research, but here's another link just for you.

http://jacksinstrumentservices.com/why-do-les-paul-headstocks-break.html

Quote by paruwi
It doesn't make it 'true' just because 'he' said it....

State the obvious much?
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Quote by Blackfire.
Your statement is true. But other guitars don't break in the same spot from design flaws like gib/epi does, even when packed properly and not dropped.

The thread isn't about Ed Roman and I can see why you would change the subject to that. You can disregard established facts, evidence, and reasonable opinions all you want in life but it won't change the truth.

The point of the post was to inform the buyer so they can make an informed decision when the time comes. The OP has google and can do their own research, but here's another link just for you.

http://jacksinstrumentservices.com/why-do-les-paul-headstocks-break.html

State the obvious much?

Reason 3 -
grover rotomatic
Heavy Machine heads

A real common tuner to have on a Gibson is the famous Grover Rotomatic, they also happen to be the heaviest machinehead on the market for guitars!

If that knocks onto the side of an amp you have a lot of momentum

I did not read a bigger bullshit for a long time....
Quote by paruwi

I'm glad we agree it's the guitar and not the tuners...
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Quote by Blackfire.
I'm glad we agree it's the guitar-player and not the tuners...

fixed it....

edit

Your 'knowledge' and 'class' is a perfect match to Your Master Ed Roman,
keep on spreading your experiences....
Last edited by paruwi at Apr 27, 2014,
Quote by paruwi
fixed it....

Quote by paruwi

You should fix this one first.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
I find it ironic how you parade your hatred of Epiphone around based on a single lowly anecdote of an Epiphone suddenly losing its headstock, when Epiphones have scarf joints and a standard truss rod hole just like any other guitar. Which is the very thing you hate Gibsons for not having.

I mean ffs, TS isn't even looking at buying a Gibson anyway. So this argument has nothing to do with the thread topic. So why are you constantly posting about Gibsons when their design is fundamentally different from Epiphones?

I've seen you bash Gibson and Epiphone on so many threads now. What the hell is the big deal? Gibson and Epiphone make guitars that lots of people love. If people want them, you have to help them find what is right for them. Because, you know, you're supposed to be helping people on EG with finding what is the right guitar for them, not pushing forward your own agenda.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 27, 2014,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I find it funny how your hatred of Gibson is based on a single lowly anecdote of an Epiphone suddenly losing its headstock when Epiphones have scarf joints and a standard truss rod hole just like any other guitar.

I mean ffs, TS isn't even looking at buying a Gibson. So this argument has nothing to do with the thread topic.

I've seen you bash Gibson and Epiphone on so many threads now. What the hell is the big deal? Gibson and Epiphone make guitars that lots of people love. If people want them, you have to help them find what is right for them. Because, you know, you're supposed to be helping people on EG with finding what is the right guitar for them, not pushing forward your own agenda.

There is no agenda. I never said I hated Gibson or Epi as I have both as I told you already but I guess it doesn't compute. And the Epi that broke on its own while sitting there by itself has something to do with the thread. You are just biased and coming to the defense of something you probably have.

By letting someone know the negatives about a guitar is helping if you didn't know. Just because someone tells it like it is you shouldn't get in a hissy fit because you have one.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
At todays price ranges you can just get a lower end gibson for the same price as a tribute epi. All you dont get is a pretty finish but i hope youre not buying guitars just for their looks.
Quote by Blackfire.
There is no agenda. I never said I hated Gibson or Epi

I think the evidence speaks for itself on that one.

as I have both as I told you already but I guess it doesn't compute. And the Epi that broke on its own while sitting there by itself has something to do with the thread. You are just biased and coming to the defense of something you probably have.

I think we have a case of mistaken identity here because I'm not the guy who is posting so adamantly about the headstock joints on Gibsons on a handful of later posts when the topic is on Epiphones...

At any rate, your anecdotal evidence is just that. The amount of salt it should be taken with ruins the dish.
By letting someone know the negatives about a guitar is helping if you didn't know. Just because someone tells it like it is you shouldn't get in a hissy fit because you have one.

Dude, I don't even own an Epiphone or a Gibson Les Paul.

And I also think it's a bad idea to suggest that being irresponsible with a guitar is the fault of the guitar.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I think the evidence speaks for itself on that one.

I think we have a case of mistaken identity here because I'm not the guy who is posting so adamantly about the headstock joints on Gibsons on a handful of later posts when the topic is on Epiphones...

At any rate, your anecdotal evidence is just that. The amount of salt it should be taken with ruins the dish.

Dude, I don't even own an Epiphone or a Gibson Les Paul.

And I also think it's a bad idea to suggest that being irresponsible with a guitar is the fault of the guitar.

It says in your profile you own an Epiphone Futura. So if you're lying about owning one, it would discredit anything you type in any posts. Not to mention the lie of me bashing "so many" threads which is not true, try scrolling down the guitar section and looking at all the Gibson threads I haven't even posted on. Do you really want to be labelled a liar?
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Last edited by Blackfire. at Apr 27, 2014,
Quote by blackleo89
At todays price ranges you can just get a lower end gibson for the same price as a tribute epi. All you dont get is a pretty finish but i hope youre not buying guitars just for their looks.

You'll get the correct headstock-shape for the looks

and a half finished guitar with sharp fretends......
Page 1 of 2