So on the amp i am planning on getting after awhile (Blackstar 1046l6) it has 4 channels (2 different modes between clean and crunch) with 2 shared EQs. I have been researching and i was wondering, would i be able to use a midi to get different EQ settings for each? Ex:1 for clean warm, 2 for clean bright, 3 crunch, 4 super crunch, 5 OD1, 6 OD2? or am i completely mistaken on how a MIDI works? Thanks!
-Main Gear-
ESP Ltd V-401 + D Activator N&B
De Armond/Guild 2000 M72 Bluesbird w/ USA Toastertops
Peavey JSX & XXL
Mesa Boogie Rectifier Vertical 2x12
Airis Effects Savage Drive
According to the manual it looks like the midi supports nothing but switching channels. You're not confused about how midi works. It could change the eq settings if it were supported.
Quote by fly135
According to the manual it looks like the midi supports nothing but switching channels. You're not confused about how midi works. It could change the eq settings if it were supported.

Oh ok, thanks. Damn that woulda been sweet, like a 6 channel amp. Oh well.
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
But, if you have a MIDI capable effects unit with a built in EQ you could have a MIDI program change packet change amp channels AND kick in the EQ simultaneously - and any other effects you desire at the time. That's the whole point of MIDI - controlling multiple units simultaneously.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Or you can grab something like the Soldano/Caswell pre with the MIDI controllable servo pots. Rare and expensive when you can even find them though.

My Rhodes has MIDI switchable functions that can drastically alter the tone of amp, but no tube amp really has MIDI controllable pots. The Rhodes set up works pretty damn well though. I've got it set up for 7 different tones (bright clean, fat clean, light crunch, 80s crunch, metal rhythm, metal lead and over the top saturation) with the stock footswitch. Theoretically, there are several hundred possible combinations you can use.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
So in essence, the only thing i couldn't do with it (if i got the external EQ) would be engaging the different modes (button on amp) in the clean and crunch channels? and would there be a way to incorporate my current stompboxes into the midi stuff instead of buying all new rack effects?
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
Last edited by TYSHADOWS at Apr 23, 2014,
You'd need a rack or floor based switcher. CAE, Voodoo Labs, RJM, MusicomLab, Providence, FreeTheTone etc. all make some variant on it.

If you can assign the modes to a MIDI PC or CC, then you can change them. If not, then no.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

So the modes is an option because its not actually an EQ? It's just a different saves option per say?
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
I wouldn't know. You'd need to look at the manual. If there's an option to assign the mode function to some sort of MIDI message, then you can switch them via MIDI. If not, then you can't.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Ok, sorry if these seem like dumb questions I'm new to the whole MIDI concept
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
The manual should explain what MIDI can switch on the amp. Have you read the manual?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The manual should explain what MIDI can switch on the amp. Have you read the manual?

Yes but i dont really understand much of what it says, but heres the page from the manual about MIDI. I cant really tell what it all means its pretty vague about what it specifically can and cannot do, at least to my inexperienced eyes. Sorry that i cant upload the pictures, too big of a file, but heres a link to it. Pages 15 and 16
(Invalid img)
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
Last edited by TYSHADOWS at Apr 23, 2014,
Yea, looks like MIDI only works for channel switching based on that. Clean/crunch/OD1/OD2 are the only options I see at a quick glance. Bit of a bummer these days, TBH. You can do so much more with MIDI, and it doesn't cost you any more but a bit of programming. The Rhodes stuff is the absolute best in that regard. This is the Colossus, which was an earlier model and doesn't have quite as many MIDI functions as the Gemini, which came out later, but it gives you a good idea. This is using the footswitch, but everything is also controllable via MIDI. The Gemini has 4 way fat and 4 way mode switches controllable via MIDI, as well as a two way bright and 3 way voice switch, plus effects loop and master volume switching. Any combination is programmable and instantly recallable via the Rhodes footswitch or a MIDI controller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyTtsZYUHj4
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT