Whats a good ~$300 amp head for modern rock tones like Nirvana, Foo Fighters, and Smashing Pumpkins?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
What kind of output levels are we talking? Gigging or bedroom?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Probably around 30 watts but i'd like it do both as i spend more time at bedroom play.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
I wish. I love it but i didnt realize it'd be so honky.
Quote by chip46
tbh your drri and the right fuzz and drive pedals would probably suit those tones just fine.

^+1 Kurt used a Fender with a Boss DS-1

But put a few bucks with that money and this Classic 30 head would be really nice
www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-PEAVEY-CLASSIC-30-HEAD-110026070-i3726277.gc
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by gregs1020
tbh your drri and the right fuzz and drive pedals would probably suit those tones just fine.

+1

A Tweaker would do well too, but again you'd want some fuzz, drive or both.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
That would work?
Quote by chip46
Classic 30 is cool. I say spend a bit more and grab an RD45 though. There's one on RT for $399 shipped, which is kinda high used. Or there should still be one on eBay for the same price new.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by lespaul#1
Whats a good ~$300 amp head for modern rock tones like Nirvana, Foo Fighters, and Smashing Pumpkins?

modern?

w/e.

i agree with the drri being capable, i am not sure what other amps you have right now either but most of the amps you have acquired over the past months should be able to pull it off as well. sounds like all you need is a couple pedals, like a muff and a ratt or something.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
A Laney Ironheart would probably be a good choice too if you can find one in budget - or save a few more dollars.
I'd happily play Foo Fighters stuff on a Classic 30 too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by gumbilicious
modern?

thought the same thing.
Quote by Cathbard
A Laney Ironheart would probably be a good choice too

too modern actually. that thing is tighter than a bull's ass in flea season.
Too modern?
Quote by chip46
Quote by gregs1020
too modern actually. that thing is tighter than a bull's ass in flea season.
A guy in a band playing before us had one going through a 412 with greenbacks and I thought it would be a fine grunge amp. Maybe it was the greenbacks?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well I have $200 and I need ~400 for the Laney. Someone buy my Class 5 Head?
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
Well I have $200 and I need ~400 for the Laney. Someone buy my Class 5 Head?

Didnt you just get the Class 5 recently? Did you get a cab for it? If not, speakers could be your problem.
+1 for a fuzz pedal instead of a new amp. You're not gonna get any better than the drri or Class 5 for $300. Maybe Peavey Classic or Jet City if your ears like 'em better.
If you want sorta Fenderish cleans with sorta marshally gain in one amp, a used Egnater Rebel runs in the $300 range.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I just run it into the Deluxe Reverb because I don't have the room for a cab. Are Bugeras good? Because tge 6262 is in my price range and looks interesting.
Quote by chip46
Last edited by lespaul#1 at Apr 24, 2014,
Bugera are made by Behringer.

I played grunge in the 90's. What I used was my Abbey, which is sorta similar to an AC30 but with 6L6's. I just boosted it a bit. Chucked a bit of of overdrive on it (TS9 and SD-1) and occasionally just a touch of DS-1.
The rhythm guitarist just used a JCM900 Dual Reverb. No pedals, just a footswitch.

An AC30 wouldn't be a bad thing to aim for. Something has to pop up for a decent price before long. You just stick some pedals in front of it. A lot of guys did that playing grunge back in the day.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 24, 2014,
TS, you should get a dirt pedal. But also, honky? I don't see the Marshall as honky... I feel like that might be a speaker issue, you should try it through some different speakers, maybe take it up to a music store and see if you can demo some cabs.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by lespaul#1
I just run it into the Deluxe Reverb because I don't have the room for a cab.

Dude. That's not a fair way to evaluate an amp. I think you need to take it to a store and try out some real cabs.

As for pedals, I highly recommend the Proco Rat for those tones. It's somewhere in between OD and fuzz.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I'll take it up today and test it in a 4x12. Any specific one to look for?
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
I'll take it up today and test it in a 4x12. Any specific one to look for?

Forget cabs, try out as many speakers as you can. Maybe even take a pad and paper and write down your opinion of each speaker you try. Tell the guy at the shop that's what you're doing and he should be fine with you poking around in the back of cabs to figure out what's in each.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!