Hi,
I'm working on a cover with a friend and I realize there seems to be a limit to how short I can make a note with the top strings:

I'm trying to record power chords and hit the strings for each beat very shortly (150bpm). I leave my palm in constant contact with the strings to mute them right away, and the sound coming out is still too long.
If I press my palm any harder, the strings go out of tune.

What should I try?
Mute with both hands when you want silence and don't keep your palm on the strings constantly unless you want to be palm muting.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I'm trying to get a very short sound to mark each beat, with power chords. it's during a quiet part, so I just need to give a sense of rhythm but very light.

the song's at 150bpm, I want to strum every 1/4 note, but the duration of each note (looking at sampling data) while keeping my palm constantly on the strings is a bit less than 1/8 note, I'd like to achieve a 1/16 note constantly.

so, if I understand, you're saying that I should use the fretting hand to mute as well; is that by raising the fingers between each strum?
try playing it slowly before you go for the full speed! and as Zaphod said, use your fretting hand to mute the notes when you don't want them to ring out, if you keep a note held down it'll sustain for as long as your guitar can hold a note! however pulling your fingers off and the note will stop ringing, magic!
ok, I'll try that when I get home; I assumed holding the strings by the bridge would kill the sound fast enough, but I guess I was wrong

thanks guys!
Quote by tcdr3
ok, I'll try that when I get home; I assumed holding the strings by the bridge would kill the sound fast enough, but I guess I was wrong

thanks guys!

Far from it - think of the physics

Right by the bridge is where the strings are vibrating the least, that's why we use palm muting - because it changes the sound, it doesn't kill it.

If you want to kill sound quickly then you want to be damping the strongest vibrations, and that's going the be around the middle of the vibrating strings length.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
makes total sense, I feel a bit dumb now

thanks for lending a hand!
so... I can't find a way to raise / push down the fretting fingers properly in sync with the strumming hand...

But I found something that works: another guitar with thinner strings.
Going from 12s to 9s made a HUGE difference, the sound is way shorter

But to go back to the original solution, I can't synchronize the left and right hand fast enough
Quote by tcdr3
so... I can't find a way to raise / push down the fretting fingers properly in sync with the strumming hand...

But I found something that works: another guitar with thinner strings.
Going from 12s to 9s made a HUGE difference, the sound is way shorter

But to go back to the original solution, I can't synchronize the left and right hand fast enough

Do it slowly and get it right before trying it at speed. You need to do this with anything you can't do yet, no matter how basic it might sound.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I got it! I've spent the last 30 min doing it, I suck at it, but I understand how it should be now

thanks!