i've been playing guitar for 13 years.
as a young teenager i found rock music. cKy, guns n' roses, ac/dc, nirvana, ect.
those artists and bands inspired me to pick up the guitar and play. i learned pretty fast, actually very fast and it was a great satisfaction.

i love listing to cKy, guns n', offspring, to name a few, still.
but i don't get that satisfaction of playing anymore. i feel kinda stuck.
maybe i never learned to play well? as i listen to songs i think "man i want to play that, or pop in a cd and just jam along"

what do you guys think? time to pursue a new hobby?
Quote by Hckey#
i've been playing guitar for 13 years.
as a young teenager i found rock music. cKy, guns n' roses, ac/dc, nirvana, ect.
those artists and bands inspired me to pick up the guitar and play. i learned pretty fast, actually very fast and it was a great satisfaction.

i love listing to cKy, guns n', offspring, to name a few, still.
but i don't get that satisfaction of playing anymore. i feel kinda stuck.
maybe i never learned to play well? as i listen to songs i think "man i want to play that, or pop in a cd and just jam along"

what do you guys think? time to pursue a new hobby?

It is your call

Have you tried playing with other people in a band type situation? Because that is fun. I have been playing for 20 yrs and I rarely play at home or alone anymore, but I love playing in a band and can't wait for practices/gigs
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Only you can really decide that for yourself.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to play guitar because you want to play the music you enjoy. For a lot of people that's kind of the whole point. If that feels right to you, then absolutely keep it that way. And while you're at it, you might discover other good reasons to do it too.

Maybe you just need to remind yourself why you picked up the guitar in the first place by listening to your favourite songs. That could well get you back in the saddle.

If you're bored with what you're doing, try venturing into new territory relating to guitar that could refresh you- such as playing in a band, or writing your own material. Or make an effort to discover entirely new bands.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 24, 2014,
thanks guys.. i do appreciate it. great advices \m/

i did play in a cover band during my early 20's, that was awesome.
a couple of years ago i tried again and it was fun, but we were four guys with fours different styles of genres.

maybe creating some own music would do some magic.
Last edited by Hckey# at Apr 24, 2014,
Quote by Hckey#
thanks guys.. i do appreciate it. great advices \m/

i did play in a cover band during my early 20's, that was awesome.
a couple of years ago i tried again and it was fun, but we were four guys with fours different styles of genres.

maybe creating some own music would do some magic.

Yeah, I play in an originals band. I wouldn't mind doing a cover project for the extra money ($150+ a night) but picking the right songs and everyone agreeing on them can be a bitch.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
no. you need to find a new genre or subset of music and learn it. you probably also need to investigate new techniques and skills and give yourself a goal to learn them. more importnatly, a DESIRE to learn them.

thats what happens to me. ALSO, gear fuels my learning. because i buying it, ane then play because i buy it. becasue i can pull of more tones or better tones, then i play types of musc to suit those tones.

ie - i want a compressor. when i buying i will be excited, and start playing the music i think sounds compressed and squished. i may also venture into chicken pickin or something like that. a new skill.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I'll reflect what Robb said. I've been playing for 9 years now and between work and school I was feeling burnt out on guitar. My friend asked if I wanted to join his band and now I can't put my guitars down because I'm always working on a song. I also started recording and writing so it;s very fun again. It also helps to always be open to new genres and playing styles. I always look for new music that will challenge my ability.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Why can't you have more than one hobby? I've been playing guitar for 18 years; I also do archery, photography, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and I enjoy the outdoors, along with being a dad and working a full-time job for 50-60 hours per week. These are the things that keep life enjoyable for me. I don't expect to make a living from any of them or expect to be an accomplished master, but that's not why I do them. The nice thing about being an adult and having priorities is just being able to keep your guitar on a stand aroud your house, picking it up and playing when you're inspired to do so and leaving it there when you're not. If you're not depending on your guitar to make you money, then who cares how much you play or if you pursue other hobbies?
Hi, I'm Peter
I'd just work on learning different things. When I am burnt out or stuck in a rut, I find something different that's a challenge and start learning that. Sometimes I get bored with it and go back to what I was playing, but it rejuvenates your playing when you just switch it up from time to time.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Hckey#
as i listen to songs i think "man i want to play that, or pop in a cd and just jam along"

So why aren't you doing that?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Robbgnarly
It is your call

Have you tried playing with other people in a band type situation? Because that is fun. I have been playing for 20 yrs and I rarely play at home or alone anymore, but I love playing in a band and can't wait for practices/gigs

This post wins
^ Yes exactly. I haven't found a better reason to stick to playing guitar than to actually create music and filter it out with like minded people. Then you can use all of the stuff you've learned from your favorite bands and put it to good use!
Also, have you tried any alternative tunings?

It's not that everything is different so that "everything old is new again", it is also that the different tuning is going to inherently tickle a different part of the "musiccampus" part of the brain.

By that, I mean that even though you CAN play your old favorites in different tunings, the different starting point is going to make you think differently about what y should be playing. I mean, you absolutely CAN play "Pipeline" in DADGAD or New Standard Tuning just like you can in E Standard, but you're going to be hearing different things in those tunings that will drive you in new directions.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 24, 2014,
I've just got back into it after a 7 year break after leaving a band,Then finding a full time woman,Then having a kid.It's weird,I've suddenly found an interest in Jazz guitar,Think my ears have matured.lol.Try some different genres maybe?There's always more to learn.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Only you can really decide that for yourself.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to play guitar because you want to play the music you enjoy. For a lot of people that's kind of the whole point. If that feels right to you, then absolutely keep it that way. And while you're at it, you might discover other good reasons to do it too.

Maybe you just need to remind yourself why you picked up the guitar in the first place by listening to your favourite songs. That could well get you back in the saddle.

If you're bored with what you're doing, try venturing into new territory relating to guitar that could refresh you- such as playing in a band, or writing your own material. Or make an effort to discover entirely new bands.

+1

also what dirk gently said
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?