Can anyone suggest an interface for home recording that will be used only for guitar and bass tracking? After recording all the tracks will be reamped.
How many input channels does it need to have if all lead and rhythm guitars are recorded twice or it does not matter? Also the interface should be pretty good (need quality of a professional recording).

Thanks in advance!
The best quality home recording interfaces you can get are focusrite I got one it's awsum
They have got a lot of range too
We have a sticky dedicated to the answer of this question. If you haven't read it it's here and if you have read it read it again.

As for the number of channels strictly speaking you only need 1. But for reamping 2 can be good so you can use two microphones and most decent interfaces have at least 2.
You'll also need a reamp box if you don't have one already because most interfaces don't have a high impedance output and sending a line level signal into an amp doesn't really sound pleasant in my experience.
Quote by tchesher
The best quality home recording interfaces you can get are focusrite I got one it's awsum
I can't hear you over the amazing sound of my onyx blackjack preamps...

No seriously, I ab'd a focusrite 2i2 with a 15 y/o mackie mixer and the mackie sounded way better.
If the new onyx preamps are half of what they say they are, they're still lotsa better.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I've got a Line 6 UX1, love the thing so far. It was my first try ever recording guitar without a mic and I love it. But I'm no recording pro so it may not be the best
if you have the bedget.. get an apogee duet/uno
or something from the RME series.. .
you wont be disappointed. these are professional quality interfaces.

you'll also enjoy actually listening to music from their output..
you'll actually HEAR the music rather than your converter.

no joke.. all the others are shit in comparison.
theyre all muddy and have really bad AD/DA conversions.

the apogee/rme stuff have instrument/line and mic inputs
also come with balanced outputs so you can plug in some monitors if you got em
Quote by tchesher

i hope youre kidding.

focusrite, especially the scarlet series.. wow..
i would rather put all my money in a trash can and watch it burn instead of buying one of em.. was about to make the mistake of getting one... theyre ****ing horrible.
your laptop conversion is actually way better
Quote by Spambot_2

No seriously, I ab'd a focusrite 2i2 with a 15 y/o mackie mixer and the mackie sounded way better.

Mackie is actually quite decent, yes, way better than focusrite scarlett series..

i would strongly recommend Apogee, duet or uno (or solo whatever it was called)
i own a duet myself, cant be happier.. just that if you're thinking ur actually gonna upgrade soon (more inputs/outputs), then u'll be better off with an rme, coz they have better expansion capabilities.
Last edited by The SoundGuy at Apr 24, 2014,
Quote by Reages

How many input channels does it need to have if all lead and rhythm guitars are recorded twice or it does not matter? Also the interface should be pretty good (need quality of a professional recording).

well you only really need 1 input, unless ur tracking 2 guitarists together (which i wouldnt necessarily suggest) one at a time will get you a cleaner, tighter performance.

so yeah 1/2 or MAX 4 input should be more than enough.
i'd suggest getting a 1 or 2 input thing.

for the musician:
http://www.amazon.com/Apogee-ONE-Audio-Interface-Mac/dp/B004350HHE

for the engineer:
http://www.amazon.com/RME-DigiFace-Digital-Hammerfall-Interface/dp/B0002H0326/ref=sr_1_27?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1398370036&sr=1-27&keywords=rme
Mind you need a mac to work with apogees, TS.
If you have that much money to spend anyway, I'd get a Universal Audio.
With it you got all of the onboard processing power for da pluginz you may wanna use, and they work with PCs.

Though it's an exaggeration that your everyday computer has better converters than a focusrite scarlett, they aren't even that bad for the money.
But yeah, if you have more money, you usually get better stuff.
Quote by The_SoundGuy
well you only really need 1 input, unless ur tracking 2 guitarists together (which i wouldnt necessarily suggest) one at a time will get you a cleaner, tighter performance.
And why would this be?

Quote by The_SoundGuy
you'll also enjoy actually listening to music from their output..
you'll actually HEAR the music rather than your converter.

no joke.. all the others are shit in comparison.
theyre all muddy and have really bad AD/DA conversions.
all others are shit?
All others what?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
The Focusrite units that are bus powered (Scarlett 2i2, 2i4) are awful. Wall powered ones sound much better because the pres aren't current starved.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Spambot_2

Though it's an exaggeration that your everyday computer has better converters than a focusrite scarlett, they aren't even that bad for the money.

it really isnt an exaggeration, i've a/b'd them, as well as enough people i've known, and we all came to the same conclusion that the output is not only muddy but is also distorted and recreates a very poor sound. i really wouldnt say something like this otherwise. they are a waste of money.

their saffire / liquid saffire series are better, but are only firewire no usb.

EDIT: maybe theyre not bad for the startup musician, but the TS asked for something thats yields "professional" quality results... and if any professional out there is using a focusrite scarlett.

also, UA stuff is way more expensive than RME
Last edited by The SoundGuy at Apr 25, 2014,
Quote by Spambot_2

And why would this be?

all others are shit?
All others what?

what d'u mean why would this be?
like recording one guitar at a time?

well unless your focus is really good, and u've been doing this for years, you probably cant tell a slight off note, or a slight timing error with two guitars recording at the same time.. especially while playing along with it. hell 90% of the people cant recognize their own playing errors while playing, so adding another guitar to that would just be overkill.

unless you got someone sitting there and monitoring the takes, seeing how clean and tight they are, just do 1 at a time.

and by all others i mean the converters.
from a musicians perspective theyre probably good enough to get your tracks down.
just honestly. avoid the scarlett series.
The apollo twin costs about as much as the rme you linked and it does the job just fine.

imo, if you're an engineer you should both be able to hear a note off time AND have the time to listen to everything in the mix to make sure is 100% right.
Then if you, an experienced engineer, can't tell that a note is slightly off, let's just leave it there for the sake of not making the thing sound like it's played by a computer.

My question was more like - what other converters are you talking about?
Or - what other interfaces are you talking about?
I mean, just the scarlett's or something else too?

And next time you wanna answer to more people, please keep it in one single post.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2

imo, if you're an engineer you should both be able to hear a note off time AND have the time to listen to everything in the mix to make sure is 100% right.
Then if you, an experienced engineer, can't tell that a note is slightly off, let's just leave it there for the sake of not making the thing sound like it's played by a computer.

my point exactly. and, please correct me if im wrong, i dont think the TS is an engineer.

Quote by Spambot_2

My question was more like - what other converters are you talking about?
Or - what other interfaces are you talking about?
I mean, just the scarlett's or something else too?

And next time you wanna answer to more people, please keep it in one single post.

well a lot of the low end stuff is quite resistible. at least personally speaking,
its not something i'd go for.

Motu: its ok, but lot of firmware issues always crop up.
behringer:
roland: should be fine, havent tried one, no comment
steinberg: decent
tascam: better to stay away, tends to sound digitalish
presonus: ok
line6: its ok, but not present/clear.
peavey: havent tried.
behringer: (i know i said it already, but its just fun to laugh at it!)

oh also.. the apollo twin doesnt have as many expanding options as rme.
its kinda like the duet in the sense that you get whats in the box. if you wanna upgrade,
you gotta buy a new unit. RME has lot of potential for upgrades

and yeah, im trying not to double post as much, but i keep forgetting that i have to answer few things, and still havent gotten the multiquote thing figures yet, so sorry about that.
Last edited by The SoundGuy at Apr 25, 2014,
To clear thigs out, i want to record dry guitar signal at home and then drums, vocals, etc. will be recorded in a professional studio and everything will be sent to a professional sound engineer for reamping, mixing and everything else.
Quote by The SoundGuy
oh also.. the apollo twin doesnt have as many expanding options as rme.
its kinda like the duet in the sense that you get whats in the box. if you wanna upgrade,
you gotta buy a new unit. RME has lot of potential for upgrades
But how does the UA sound?
Well pretty damn good.

Also the RME you pointed out is an ADAT interface, so he'd have to get other converters and that'll cost him a pretty big amount of money.
It's not like that'll be bad or anything, but I don't really think that'd be necessary considering he wants to record a dry guitar signal.

Well I think we kinda pointed out what you can get at this point TS
Now, up to you to decide what's best for you.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
But how does the UA sound?
Well pretty damn good.

Also the RME you pointed out is an ADAT interface, so he'd have to get other converters and that'll cost him a pretty big amount of money.

1) UA sounds good, but RME is up there with it, if not better
and when it comes down to it, the expandable one always wins, because you never know. maybe today u just wanna record guitars, but maybe in some time u get interested in recording more than that... not saying that the TS wants to or should or whatever. just saying in general.

2) RME also has firewire interfaces with the option of adat, optical and etc. in the same range as the UA... so more flexibility

anyways, yeah as for the TS... if you look at my last post, i've listed a bunch of interface companies. check em out.. try em.. they'll all sound different than each other.. chose the one you like best. also maybe ask the engineer at the studio youre going in for his suggestions as well.
Quote by The SoundGuy
i hope youre kidding.

i would rather put all my money in a trash can and watch it burn instead of buying one of em.. was about to make the mistake of getting one... theyre ****ing horrible.

I really hope you're trolling, cause this statement right here just completely nulled everything else you had to say that might've actually been true

Also, there's an edit button for a reason, quit double/triple/quadruple posting.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by The SoundGuy
2) RME also has firewire interfaces with the option of adat, optical and etc. in the same range as the UA... so more flexibility
Not even.
The interface alone costs more than the apollo twin, and you still have to find ADCs with ADAT connectivity.
I think it's a nice thing to have if you already have the hardware, but even though I love Alesis, ADAT is a bit surpassed at this point and I think'd be better to get some stackable interface if the expandability is what's in mind.
Dunnow, one of the bigger apollo or an onyx blackbird on the cheap...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by The SoundGuy
i hope youre kidding.

You're being dumb...

OT:
Focusrite 2i4. There's your answer. Why? Well, read the interface sticky and find out.
^ wait, the thing doesn't suck that bad but for the money THERE IS better stuff.

Again, either an apogee or a UA if you got the money, or an onyx blackbird if you're on the cheap.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I DARE you to hear the difference between DACs with a blind test.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
^ it's not even difficult if you're in a testing environment - even half decent monitors, and listening to the same audio through all of the different converters.

For serious, it's not like DAC's don't play a fair part in producing a good recording.
They play a pretty big part actually...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Yeah but in budget world they're all fairly comparable so I doubt there's a large enough difference to call them crap. And there's DEFINITELY not enough difference to be compared to plugging into a laptop sound card directly as soundguy said.