Hey guys I'm starting a company building guitars and one of the models we're doing is a "Hot Rod" Strat style guitar. Picture a strat with no pick guard and just a single humbucker in the bridge and you'll be close to what I'm thinking.

What pick up would you suggest I use? It would be in the style of 80's hair metal (Poison, Kiss, ETC.) so it obviously needs to work with those kinds of sounds but would like it to be usable for other genres too. Price isn't too much of an issue: cheap always good but obviously the sound is paramount.

Guitar Details:

Floyd style Trem
Swamp Ash Body
Maple Neck
Rosewood Fingerboard
Possibly flame maple top
1 Tone, 1 Volume

There may be more of these to come as I have a few other models which I'm not sure what pick ups to use. Thanks For The Help.
The Dimarzio Super Distortion, Seymour Duncan JB or Custom Custom would be the most obvious choices IMO, also easy to get hold of.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
So, kinda like the G&L Jerry Cantrell Rampage? Cool!

Besides the other good choices above, I'll suggest the Bareknuckle Rebel Yell, the Tesla VR-Extreme and RailHammer a Chisel.

Are you going to coil-tap the HB?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 24, 2014,
Quote by steven seagull
The Dimarzio Super Distortion, Seymour Duncan JB or Custom Custom would be the most obvious choices IMO, also easy to get hold of.

I came here to suggest these exact pickups, but it looks like the Seagull has beaten me to it.

I would also recommend the DiMarzio ToneZone. It's a fantastic and versatile mid-output pickup.

Feel free to give me a discount on one of your guitars as payment for my services
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
Quote by steven seagull

Nailed it.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by maidenmyguide
sounds almost the same as Chapman guitar's offering: 'ML-1 Hot Rod'

http://www.chapmanguitars.co.uk/guitars/ml-1-hot-rod/

also has SD JB pickup lol

Kramer also went for the JB
http://www.kramerguitars.com/Products/The-84/The-84.aspx

The Chapman one is very close to the image I have in my mind!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I'll have a listen to the various pups you've suggested.

Would a Bare-knuckle Holy Diver be a good choice or not? It's described as: "A celebration of the original '80s hot-rodded humbuckers with a progressive, modern tone and wide dynamic range." Seems exactly what I'm after.
Definitely a good option.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
The BKP Holy Diver is an excellent pickup, but it costs roughly twice as much as the other pickups mentioned here and is harder to come by. It all depends on your budget and unit availability!
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
I don't think I want to coil tap the HB but the option would be nice if I decide to do it later on down the line.
Quote by steven seagull

+1

or maybe the custom 5

Or a paf pro if it's not too low output.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Another vote for the ToneZone, sweet sounding pickup, probably my favorite. It is super fat, which I find helps to fight some of the inherent twang of a lot of strat style guitars.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
^ yeah, though it can be too dark, too. personally i think it's maybe a bit dark- and modern-sounding for hair metal where you normally want more bite, even with a superstrat.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you want something nice and bright (and freaking cool looking) I would recommend Lace Alumitones.

http://www.lacemusic.com/Lace_Shop/proddetail.php?prod=Alumitone_Color_HB

The only thing is you'd have to use 250K pots instead of 500K.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
If you want something nice and bright (and freaking cool looking) I would recommend Lace Alumitones.

http://www.lacemusic.com/Lace_Shop/proddetail.php?prod=Alumitone_Color_HB

The only thing is you'd have to use 250K pots instead of 500K.

WOW! That's cool! Unfortunately not really what I'm looking for in terms of aesthetics. Bit too modern looking. I'd want something a bit more classic and preferably in Zebra