I suppose this isn't really a GG&A topic, but I was having trouble working out where to post this under. Mod please move this if you feel another forum is more appropriate?

Preface:
I've begun picking songwriting back up again recently - I pretty much haven't touched it in about 5 years now. Basically a large part of my songwriting process happens on a computer (Guitar Pro 5 generally) because of playback functions and the ability to layer instruments fairly easily, but because my imagination has somewhat expanded since the last time I was doing this sort of thing, I'm feeling a bit limited by what I have.

Actual "questions" start here:
Essentially I'm looking for software that more or less does everything that Guitar Pro 5 does from an audio playback standpoint - the tablature element of it isn't necessary; it was just a way to input things for my purposes - but provides a good range of synths and synth drums instead of just using the basic MIDI channels, with the ability to quantise everything in some fashion. It also wouldn't hurt to have a bit more of a way to customise guitar and bass tones etc.

I don't necessarily need the ability to record actual guitar tracks as such because I'm using the software as a songwriting tool first and foremost, and also because that's just how my process works. In fact, I would very much prefer if the software can run entirely independent of requiring an instrument for input.

My experience with software like what I'm after is pretty limited. Off the top of my head, Garageband is the only thing I've really used that's in the vein of what I'm thinking of, but that doesn't really say a whole lot. Garageband, for me, ran into significant problems with altering tempos and time signatures throughout a single song, but I haven't used it in a while to know if that was improved. Also, I don't run a Mac anymore. I've only vaguely heard things about Pro Tools and FL, but I had a vague impression that both of these were a little hard to use for simply making music on the computer as opposed to recording something with an instrument or a MIDI controller - maybe I was mistaken.

Any and all help appreciated.

For those at all curious, basically if Dream Theater, the Glitch Mob, Tool, Flume, Ellie Goulding ( ) and Periphery decided to all get together and make this perfect, sublime thing of a lovechild, that's essentially what I'm trying to make.
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
Last edited by Bob_Smith at Apr 24, 2014,
Why in the world did you stop using a mac?
Logic would have been the thing for you.

Anyway, have a look at reaper, studio 1, live, reason, bitwig and so on...
You want a DAW.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Oh my god I love you. Thank you thank you thank you for putting a name to what I was trying to find - DAW.

The decision to stop using Mac was mostly based on customisability and gaming standpoints. I've really only cut down my gaming this year, although I still prefer the Windows interface in general. That was probably the only real reason I didn't mention Logic.
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
Quote by Bob_Smith
Oh my god I love you. Thank you thank you thank you for putting a name to what I was trying to find - DAW.

Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I would recommend Reason or Ableton. They are great for midi and have a pretty good bank of plugins.
Get Reaper, Rewire Reason through Reaper
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
^ that'd just be a processor heavy bad idea...
Rewiring stuff is useful if one program can do stuff you need, but you prefer the other program's workflow, or you need the functionality of both to do something.

That's just not the case.
TS, find a DAW you like and stick to that.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola