Hi all,

I picked up a friend's guitar a few days ago and he said I could keep it to practice till I get my own. I have never held a guitar before.

The guitar is an Alvarez RD8. From what I have read, it's a good guitar for ≤$500. I also have some videos and books and an analog tuner; a Wittner GT2.

So, I read and watched and read some more about tuning. I decided to do a standard EADGBe tune. I flip the switch to e and pluck\tune till the needle is centered. That was easy.

Then I flip to B and tune the 2nd string. As a confirmation, I flip back to e and hold the 5th fret. With e and B tuned, the 5th fret of B is maybe 20hz low?

I went through every string and tuned according to the tuner's directions. And every 5th fret ( 4th fret on G) comes up low.

I have used GuitarTuna (android app) and also a tone generator to see what's going on. I can't seem to get the 5th fret of B to sound a clear e.

BTW, I used an online tone generator and an android app called FG to generate a pure 82.41hz tone to calibrate my tuners. Of course, who knows what the frequency response of my PC\smartphone speaker\mic is.

Anyway, my Wittner GT2, GuitarTuna, and several web-based tuners all say e and B are tuned. Still, no luck in getting 82.41hz on the 5th fret of B.

Any ideas?

BTW, as for introductions, I recently retired (early) and grabbed a guitar to keep from going insane. I mostly like country music but my intent is to learn to read music and understand music theory. I'm using L&M Guitar videos and an old Mel Bay book for practice.
Sorry. 329.62hz. It's early and I was reading upside down...

After some googling, I think the "intonation" is wrong. The neck is straight. So other than moving the bridge, I don't know if it can be fixed.

So, assuming it can't be fixed, should I tune the strings to the tuner, or tune the 1st e and then tune up from there?
Last edited by xptical at Apr 24, 2014,
You move the saddles on the bridge forward or backward to shorten or lengthen the string.

Have the open string match the twelfth - exactly on the 12th, not behind or in front.

Also, if you can borrow a better tuner, it'll make your life that much easier.
A strobe style, like turbo or petersen.
Quote by xptical
Sorry. 329.62hz. It's early and I was reading upside down...

Yeah you definitely want 440hz for standard tuning. Otherwise, it's the intonation on the guitar itself.