Hey, I may soon be trading one of my guitars for another 7 string.
It's a custom make by the seller, with a premade neck, an alder body and with a D-activator and a SD Invader. It has Vanson locking tuners.

FYI i'm trading my Schecter omen extreme for it.

If I go through with this trade, i'll trade face to face. What should I look for on the guitar? I know already about checking for a warped neck and general loose hardware.

Thanks
I always avoid "custom" jobs - there must be a reason why they are getting rid of it. My primary concerns would be action, intonation, and fret buzz. If the neck angle or scale length is off then the guitar is almost worthless.
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
I know what you're saying, I was a bit concerned, but when they said the neck was premade, it reassured me a little. The only part he built was the body, which looks like a good job. He also was putting his guitar up for sale on his facebook account, which in my mind is a good sign. He also said that the reason for sale was he never used it as he didn't really find he liked 7 strings.

By the neck angle, do you mean how the neck is joined to the body?
You need to seriously overlook the guitar.
Any number of things could be wrong.
Post a picture if you can so we can asses it.

People usually don't know what they are doing and just throw shit together.
Take a look at this custom crap for example.
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/msg/4393548307.html

The middle one has a bridge meant for fan frets.....what the hell.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Does it sound good? Are there any cracks in the body/neck/etc.? Did the guy just throw it all together piecemeal, regardless of what the parts were originally designed for?
Quote by ambler3
By the neck angle, do you mean how the neck is joined to the body?

Yes. If it is off by 1 or more degrees then setting proper intonation and action can be VERY difficult.
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-7-string-guitar-one-of-a-kind-hand-made-Seymour-Duncan-dimarzio-/181390064418?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2a3bb0bb22

Here's the ad.

He took a prebuilt neck, and build the body himself from alder. Well treated wood from what he said, Vanson locking tuners.

Will meet with him and have a good look at it, then make my decision most likely. The body doesn't look like it was badly made imo, but I may change my mind on that when I see it irl.

Also, how would I go about checking if the neck angle is off?
Quote by ambler3

Neck pocket looks cracked and a bit banged up. I also think that neck joint looks pretty weak, especially for a 7 string.

Personally, would not buy.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
Last edited by Guy_Mitchell at Apr 25, 2014,
Quote by gorgthemeatpile
I always avoid "custom" jobs - there must be a reason why they are getting rid of it. My primary concerns would be action, intonation, and fret buzz. If the neck angle or scale length is off then the guitar is almost worthless.

I can fix those things with an allen wrench, two screwdrivers, a business card, and a half hour.

Quote by gorgthemeatpile
Yes. If it is off by 1 or more degrees then setting proper intonation and action can be VERY difficult.

Do you know what a shim is?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Apr 25, 2014,
Quote by Guy_Mitchell
Neck pocket looks cracked and I also think that joint looks pretty weak.

Personally, would not buy.

What part of it looks cracked?

And that was the one photo that concerned me. It didn't have enough detail for me to be able to see if it was well done or not. Unless I can get any more photos on tomorrow, i'll judge that neck joint in person.

Quote by JustRooster
I can fix those things with an allen wrench, two screwdrivers, a business card, and a half hour.

Do you know what a shim is?

Rooster, given that you sound like the luthier type, what opinions do you have based on the pictures i've shown so far?
Last edited by ambler3 at Apr 25, 2014,
Quote by ambler3
What part of it looks cracked?

And that was the one photo that concerned me. It didn't have enough detail for me to be able to see if it was well done or not. Unless I can get any more photos on tomorrow, i'll judge that neck joint in person.

Where the floor of the pocket meets the wall appears to be cracked. As you go up the edge of the wall, there looks like another crack at the top and possibly some sort of chip.

It could just be some finish cracks and flaws, but if you're actually going to be in person to look at it, you should be able to tell. I just don't like taking chances with that stuff because the neck pocket is one of those things that if its not in good condition, it could screw your guitar forever.

EVH's Franky was retired because the neck pocket was simply too worn out, although THAT was from throwing 25 necks on the thing because he couldn't take the hint that unfinished and untreated wood isn't terribly stable and makes for a pretty shitty neck.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
Frankly, from what i've seen so far, it's reasonable for what i'm paying. My Schecter on our market can get me probably £200 max (if it sold), which could net me a beginner 7 string. This one, so far seems to be nicely done, and if it has a few issues to sort, I don't really mind spending a little bit of cash to sort it out if it really needs it (would have spent the money instead on new pups for the Schecter otherwise).
Last edited by ambler3 at Apr 25, 2014,
Honestly, this doesn't look like a very well built guitar. I'd leave it be. Don't be taken in by the pickup rings (but DO notice that the rout under the bridge pickup is badly done) and the switch surround. It's less "custom" and more homebuilt hack job.
Last edited by dspellman at Apr 25, 2014,
Quote by dspellman
Honestly, this doesn't look like a very well built guitar. I'd leave it be. Don't be taken in by the pickup rings (but DO notice that the rout under the bridge pickup is badly done) and the switch surround. It's less "custom" and more homebuilt hack job.

I know, the pup rings aren't the selling point for me. I'll probably meet him up and give it a play through, see if I'm happy enough with it I'll trade, but as you say it definitely has the chance to turn out to be a hack.
I wouldn't do it if I were you, man. You're trading essentially for the neck and hardware: that body has no value what so ever (particularly because as the others have noted, teh neck pocket looks sketchy, and some of the work the dude shaping the body, particularly around the one 'horn' visible in the pics looks less than spectacular).

If you get that 'custom' job, down the road you're not going to be able to sell it or off it easily if you get sick of it. your schecter will stay sellable. This is a poor decision, economically.
Backed out. it was too risky, as you said, besides, i'm probably going to want another 6 string to keep in something like drop C or D standard (a not very far lower tuning). So i'm going to instead look to change out my bridge pup.
Quote by ambler3

Rooster, given that you sound like the luthier type, what opinions do you have based on the pictures i've shown so far?

You'd have to play it to really know with homemade jobs, really. You can't ever really tell from photos alone.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER