I have played guitar for about three months now. I am only 15 years old, so I have things such as homework and soccer practice tying me up so I haven't been able to take actual lessons. I've been using YouTube to learn songs and chords, and I have improved a lot.

But I feel as though I am not as good as I should be. I'm horrible at my timing and have some difficulty knowing what strumming pattern to use for songs.

So, this summer should I take lessons? They have a community class at another local highschool, but should I get 1 on 1 lessons? I just don't know where to go to continue advancing quicker. Advice is very much appreciated
I took 3 years of guitar lessons with a few different teachers and got no where. I started to learn on my own an after a year or two i'm about intermediate skill level lol so a teacher might be good to start out with but if you really want to improve, teaching yourself may be the best way.
I think a teacher is a great way to start your first couple years of playing, to make sure you aren't creating any bad habits that will hold you back. After that, you basically understand the mechanics of playing the guitar, and self-teaching works well. That's what I did.

Also, having a teacher provides some structure for practicing, and gives you incentive to practice at home (the money spent on a teacher is better-spent if you reinforce what you learned at home).

Honestly, though, one of the best, if the best, ways of improving is simply practicing on a regular basis. 30 minutes/day is better than a couple hours once or twice a week.
“It’s been very important throughout my career that I’ve met all the guys I’ve copied, because at each stage they’ve said, "Don’t play like me, play like you.”
Eric Clapton

Most Epic Build!
Thanks for the replies guys! I decided I'm going to find a teacher this summer. I feel like verification of the correct way to hold chords and such is needed. Hopefully it'll help

Oh, and I hope y'all don't mind me asking one more question. But do any of you know some practice exercises that I can do?
Last edited by willceth99 at Apr 26, 2014,