Hey guys! I wanted some help on how to get a good distortion sound live.
Gear being used:
2010 Fender American Stratocaster w/ Seymour Duncan hot rails in bridge
Blackstar Ht-20
Marshall 1960 A cab

When I use the amp distortion, it tends to get feedback and a little messy when I turn up the volume. I wanted to know what I can do to get a good "clean" distortion sound (yes I know that sounds weird). I want a fuller distortion sound with not a ton of gain but a good amount. What are some pedals I can use? And I was also reading into getting the boss noise suppressor pedal and I was wondering, would this really do the trick to get rid of the hum? Thank so much anybody who answers!

Scott Montgomery, guitarist of 3PM
3PM-music.com
You honestly don't NEED a distortion pedal, it's all about finding the sweet spot on the amp. i found this video to explain it really well, after this I keep my gain and such pretty low and and I get this massive distortion that still doesn't give feedback. I wouldn't buy a suppressor pedal unless you feel totally compelled too. feedback can be quite tasteful http://youtu.be/3GRERK4PJpI?t=8m
A Noise Suppressor helps with background hum and buzz a lot.

The real secret to a good distortion tone is a good amp being clean boosted with a relatively low gain distortion pedal like a tube screamer.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by smontgomery220
When I use the amp distortion, it tends to get feedback and a little messy when I turn up the volume. I wanted to know what I can do to get a good "clean" distortion sound (yes I know that sounds weird). I want a fuller distortion sound with not a ton of gain but a good amount.

Pronounced mids on the EQ; adjust bass and treble accordingly (in that order). That gives you the "punch" and allows you to cut through in a band setting. Scooping the mids is a big no-no.

Get the Blackstar at a mid-gain setting, not full-blown distortion.
Then boost it by throwing an Ibanez Tubescreamer (or a Tubescreamer clone; I prefer the CMAT MODS Signa Drive, it has one mode that works perfect for boosting tube amps) in front of it, with the Gain knob turned down, the Level knob turned very high, and Tone knob adjusted to taste.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112