I'm looking to buy my first tube amp that suits hard rock/metal and also has good cleans. I've been messing around on my buddy's 1x12 peavey bandit lately and decided I want a 1x12 tube combo. I've seen that a lot of professional's use overdrive pedals to boost their amps and add more overdrive, so I might be doing that too. I have eyes on the Marshall dsl40c but am not sure yet. My guitar is an Ibanez rg series modded with EMG 81/60 active pickups. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.
What's your budget and will you consider used gear?
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Fuchs Overdrive Supreme. Or perhaps a Hughes & Kettner Triamp if you're on a budget. Maybe a Vyper Tube 60.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Hard rock/metal is really broad tone wise. List some bands that you would be aiming towards.
And budget, location and if you'd consider used amps are also really important for us to help you.
[404]Signature not found
My first tube was the Orange Micro-terror and PPC-108, love it. Highly recommend it as a first tube-amp type thing. Cheap too!
My first tube amp was the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Not the master at anything but great at many. It's greatest qualities are probably that it's relatively light/maneuverable (perfect size for small bars), and the fact it takes pedals flawlessly. The amp is a whole new monster if you put in a celestion speaker in it. Mine had the standard speaker while my buddies had a celestion, and I was incredibly jealous while I had my HRD.

If you got money over 1k to spend definitely look elsewhere, but if you're looking for a great tube combo on a budget for under a thousand, the HRD is a very capable, tough, versatile amp that should probably be on your radar.
The Micro Terror isn't really a tube amp (at least completely), the HRD isn't suited towards hard rock or metal (without a distortion pedal anyway).

TS/OP: The DSL would be good, but a used DSL401 would be even better, it is an old series JCM2000 DSL, they were made in England instead of Vietnam (not important to everyone but worth mentioning), and most think they sound better.

Budget will help to make more recommendations, as well as the other info that others have asked for.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
My first tube amp was my fender excelsior. It has awesome cleans and will definitely do metal if you crank it and use a pedal for some more gain. I play black metal with that amp and a ts9 or my big muff. It totally works, and I don't use high output pickups. It's priced fairly as well, only $300 new
banned
Black metal on a boosted excelsior?
I want a clip of that

Up for the used DSL401 suggestion, and I'd add an egnater rebel and a jet city JCAwhatever to the list.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
As to the buying that's your call, but there's a simple answer for the trying.

Try EVERYTHING!

Seriously, try EVERY. SINGLE. AMP. you can.

Because that's the only way to know what's out there and what you like and don't like.

Then when you've determined what you actually want, either get it or if it's too dear, come here and ask for suggestions for similar gear with a more acceptable price tag.

Simple.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
As to the buying that's your call, but there's a simple answer for the trying.

Try EVERYTHING!

Seriously, try EVERY. SINGLE. AMP. you can.

Because that's the only way to know what's out there and what you like and don't like.

Then when you've determined what you actually want, either get it or if it's too dear, come here and ask for suggestions for similar gear with a more acceptable price tag.

Simple.

+311

Seriously just play every single thing that catches your eye. It's the only way to truly expand your knowledge and familiarity in the gear world, be able to share your experiences and input, and more importantly, know what you like and don't like.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Apr 26, 2014,
Quote by deadsmileyface
My first tube amp was my fender excelsior. It has awesome cleans and will definitely do metal if you crank it and use a pedal for some more gain. I play black metal with that amp and a ts9 or my big muff. It totally works, and I don't use high output pickups. It's priced fairly as well, only $300 new

And you guys wonder why most people think black-metal sounds like ass
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last time I was at Sam Ash I played a couple of PRS amps that I liked. It had a good variety of tonal choices. The 1x12 is $600 so not too bad to start with tube.
Quote by Spambot_2
Black metal on a boosted excelsior?
I want a clip of that

+1

maybe he used the valnøtt pedal

but yeah personally i'd rather have a higher gain amp for hard rock and metal and make do with whatever clean channel it has. obviously the ideal is amazing cleans and distortion, but the two rarely go hand in hand (at least without forking out a fortune, and even then the cleans normally aren't as good as on a clean-orientated amp since different speakers sound different etc.) and it doesn't make much sense to me to compromise on the main tone you want to get better secondary tones...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My budget is $500-$1000. Yes I would consider used gear. I play a lot of high gain music eg bullet for my valentine, metallica, avenged sevenfold, all that remains. I also play some clean but not as much as i do higher gain type music. I'm looking at the used DSL401 which looks and sounds pretty nice on youtube clips.
Get a used 5150/6505 combo
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
just to throw a few more out there. a JSX, XXX, ultra + in order.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Robbgnarly
Get a used 5150/6505 combo

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?