More of a quick question than anything I guess.

Guy has it listed for $1200 firm, but because its a Studio I'm uncertain of that price. I've looked into completed eBay listings, and they come up around $900-$1100, and one was even $750. Its in a faded brown finish.

Is this an alright deal? Seems high for a LP Studio, which seems meh, but is 1989 a good year for them? Just getting some info on it would be cool.

Thanks.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
That's a rip dude. No way that it should be that much, unless something magical happened in 89 to make LPs extra special (I doubt this).
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Yep, that's a bit high. But I'd haggle with the guy anyway (despite the listing stating "$1200 firm").

If possible, showing up with slightly less cash than people are asking, offering them that and showing them the actual cash, and walking away when they refuse sometimes works wonders.
After seeing that you have the money with you and are ready to make the deal, people start thinking "if I accept a bit less, the deal gets done right now and I could use the cash..."

If he didn't bite, I'd wait for a cheaper one to pop up.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
$700 max (in Canada) is all I'd pay. $550-$600 in the USA. It is a 20+ yr old guitar that probably needs the frets leveled or even a refret depending on how much it was played.

That guy is fishing, you can buy a new Studio for that or less
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Apr 25, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly
$700 max (in Canada) is all I'd pay. $550-$600 in the USA. It is a 20+ yr old guitar that probably needs the frets leveled or even a refret depending on how much it was played.

That guy is fishing, you can buy a new Studio for that or less

This. Buy a brand new studio.

But couldnt you get a better second hand Les Paul for that price?
what a horrible deal. don't do it.

plenty of nice gibson studios out there for $500-800 depending on condition.

i bought one with a small crack in it for $350 a while back and flipped it for parts.
My 2002 LP Studio was $1,200 brand new.... I'm guessing the wife told him he had to sell a guitar but he didn't want to so he just put a silly price on it so no one would buy it.
2002 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2014 Fender Strat (American Nitro Honeyburst)
2003 Ibanez Acoustic
Digitech RP500
Blackstar HT5R
Honestly, I don't even need the guitar, but a guitar pops up in the local classifieds once every couple months. Its a small town. I was curious as to what you guys thought of it.

I'd rather get a PRS CE than a Gibson anything, but thats just me. I'll see what I can get him down to anyways, just for fun.

Thanks guys.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
I have a CE22, blows my old LP studio out of the water (and it was a very good LP)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
"The 13th and 15th frets are tingy, and it could use a re-fret and new strings". I offered $600 and he said, "nope, $1200 firm".

Lol, small towns...
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by AWACS
"The 13th and 15th frets are tingy, and it could use a re-fret and new strings". I offered $600 and he said, "nope, $1200 firm".

Lol, small towns...

yeah that guitar was $600ish new
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Faded brown? $600 max! I just sold a sweet 2009 LP Studio Sunburst for $750 in like new cond.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Faded brown? $600 max! I just sold a sweet 2009 LP Studio Sunburst for $750 in like new cond.

It's an 89, pre faded series (by 20yrs)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by AWACS

Lol, small towns...

so after the refret it would cost $1500.

you can get a new traditional for that at sam ash.
Nay! Studios from the late 80's and early 90's were beast guitars, but you should have no problem finding one around $800 or less. At that age, it's a given that it's going to have battle scars too.

If you have $1200 to spend on a used Studio, why not spend just a couple hundred more and get a used Traditional?

Also, did Gibson even offer Studios in the faded brown finish back then?
Quote by Robbgnarly
It's an 89, pre faded series (by 20yrs)

From the OP:
"Guy has it listed for $1200 firm, but because its a Studio I'm uncertain of that price. I've looked into completed eBay listings, and they come up around $900-$1100, and one was even $750. Its in a faded brown finish."
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
From the OP:
"Guy has it listed for $1200 firm, but because its a Studio I'm uncertain of that price. I've looked into completed eBay listings, and they come up around $900-$1100, and one was even $750. Its in a faded brown finish."

I ask because I thought that Studios from that era only came in black, white, or transparent red, so I'd question the age of the guitar. But I could be totally wrong on that.
Quote by Ghostmaker
I ask because I thought that Studios from that era only came in black, white, or transparent red, so I'd question the age of the guitar. But I could be totally wrong on that.

From the picture it could be red. Its like a translucent/really worn brown/red.

Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by AWACS
From the picture it could be red. Its like a translucent/really worn brown/red.

yeah it is an older one, not faded brown (like the modern ones) and it still has dots not trapezoids

Leave it alone, he wants entirely too much money for it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
+1

don't pay more than $550-600 for that thing.

i think it's a studio lite model, but i can't remember for sure what the hell they called it. dspellman would know.

either way, i believe it's a flat top and not a carved top as well. (could be wrong, probably not though).