Something I noticed... why does the tone sound so bad when you have the amp/speaker pointed strainght in your face? It sounds so muddy, and the pick attack makes me want to kill someone. And I dont mean high volumes, it sounds bad even at moderate/low volumes but obviously it gets worse as you crank it up. And then if I move away from it or stand on the side it sounds much better, why is that?

The amp I have practice with at home is a cheap MG but I have noticed this even on better/more expensive amps.

edit: it just occured to me that most of the times when I see amps getting mic'ed, the mic is slightly off axis and not aimed at the center of the cone.
Last edited by tappooh at Apr 25, 2014,
That's because speakers don't emit the same frequencies around all of the cone's area.
PA speakers and monitors and similar stuff are made to ensure what's coming out from the center and near center of the cone is what you want to hear, but in guitar speakers that's not really the case.

The stuff coming out of the speaker's side is less harsh and trebly, and that's good.
Why?
Because what's coming out of the speaker's center is generally accepted and referred to as too harsh and trebly.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by tappooh
Something I noticed... why does the tone sound so bad when you have the amp/speaker pointed strainght in your face? It sounds so muddy, and the pick attack makes me want to kill someone. And I dont mean high volumes, it sounds bad even at moderate/low volumes but obviously it gets worse as you crank it up. And then if I move away from it or stand on the side it sounds much better, why is that?

The amp I have practice with at home is a cheap MG but I have noticed this even on better/more expensive amps.

edit: it just occured to me that most of the times when I see amps getting mic'ed, the mic is slightly off axis and not aimed at the center of the cone.

It can depend a lot on the speaker used. V30's sound really harsh if you ar directly in front.

Your amp is not a great sounding amp plus it has a horrible cheap speaker in it, so I'd say it is a combination of the 2 in your case
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate